Persona by Genevieve Valentine

Persona

by Genevieve Valentine

Series: Suyana Sapaki (1)

Pen Pal by Francesca Forrest (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Stories of women placed in symbolic political positions that try to use their influence to support the causes they believe in

3.5 stars. I...got drawn in but I feel like the world-building and the character-building was way too thin, especially considering that we got thrown into action for Valentine's book The Girls at the Kingfisher Club but I still had an investment in more than one of the sisters. In this one, I'm barely sure I have an investment in the main character, let alone the second (male) lead. The concept has potential, but it's so, so very thin and so clearly set up for a sequel that it's a bit off-putting. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
I follow Genevieve Valentine's blog, so I was aware that this book was partially inspired by her affection for beauty pageants. "Faces" are diplomats, often trained from youth to be the public face of their nation. They seem to make decisions, but in reality their votes and actions are decided for them. The media treats them like celebrities and no one knows how powerless they really are.

This was a pretty cool look at a Quecha Face and her desire to be more than just a figurehead, and the danger she's in because of that. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Meh. Thinks of itself as more provocative than it actually is. Could have been an interesting rethinking about global ambassadors (faces) and diplomats (handlers) and 'celebrity' photographers (snaps), but although you're given enough to get it, there's never any rationale or context for it.

The plot involves ecoterrorism. Not sure why. Not sure what the message of this book is or what the author is going for. It's hard to root for any of the paperdoll like characters.

In short, the premise had promise, but the execution of the story elements is a fail. A lot going on that stirred up no emotional response in me at all.

Not poorly written, but just empty - like a smartly giftwrapped box that has nothing inside but tissue paper. ( )
  angiestahl | Sep 17, 2017 |
Persona‘s a near future thriller that just never grabbed my interest.

In Valentine’s version of the future, each country has a Face, a celebrity ambassador who represents in the country in the media but doesn’t actually get to make decisions. Suyana’s the face of United Amazonia Rainforest Confederation, a young country that desperately needs to increase their status and make alliances. Luckily, Suyana’s arranged to date the Face of the United States. But when she’s heading to that first date, someone tries to kill her. Daniel, an unregistered and illegal journalist, witnesses the attack and despite himself becomes involved in Suyana’s life.

I don’t know why I never became invested in Persona. There are no obvious flaws I can point to, but then again, there’s not any obvious strengths either. While I thought the Faces and such sounded intriguing, it’s execution didn’t live up to it. I listened to Persona on audio, and the narrator was fine. But normally when I get into an audio book, I’ll find excuses to listen to it, ending up spending time playing solitaire while listening to the story. That never happened with Persona.

I also had trouble believing the connection between Daniel and Suyana. I get that being in dangerous situations together makes people grow close, but I still felt like their connection was superficial.

At heart, I think the issue was the pacing. A thriller is supposed to be thrilling. It needs to be something fast and exciting, where you keep flipping those pages. Persona’s most exciting scene was the assassination attempt in the beginning.

I know this review is a lot shorter than normal, but I really don’t know what to say about Persona. It went in one ear and out the other. If there’s a sequel, I don’t think I’ll bother reading it.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 4, 2017 |
I feel like I just read the dark version of a screenplay for “Roman Holiday,” the 1953 movie starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. In that movie, Audrey Hepburn is a royal princess who escapes from her handlers in order to see Rome on her own, and Gregory Peck is the reporter chasing her for a scoop, but who falls in love with her. Okay, Persona takes place in Paris of the future, not Rome of the 1950’s, and the female lead is a diplomat, not a princess, but otherwise, there are a lot of similarities in the bones of the stories. And if you know the movie - oblique spoiler alert - you know the end of this novel as well.

In any event, the female lead of this story is Suyana Sapaki, a Peruvian who represents the United Amazonian Rainforest Confederation at the International Assembly, the world’s largest diplomatic body. As the story begins, Suyana is the victim of an assassination attempt, but is saved by a photographer, Daniel Park, who has been following her in an attempt to get a scoop.

Suyana escapes from her handlers in order to try to find out who wants her dead, and Daniel is torn between wanting to help her and wanting to get his story. And well, if you want to know how it all turns out, I would recommend renting “Roman Holiday” instead of reading the book. For what it’s worth, I think “Roman Holiday” is a way, way better story, and you can’t beat the cast! ( )
  nbmars | Aug 3, 2016 |

Genevieve Valentineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The International Assembly audience hall was half-empty—too empty, Suyana might have said, in her first year there, when she was still surprised by the distance between good public relations and good politics.

" In a world where diplomacy has become celebrity, a young ambassador survives an assassination attempt and must join with an undercover paparazzo in a race to save her life, spin the story, and secure the future of her young country in this near-future political thriller."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,341,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible