dismiss

Persona

by Genevieve Valentine

Series: Suyana Sapaki (1)

" In a world where diplomacy has become celebrity, a young ambassador survives an assassination attempt and must join with an undercover paparazzo in a race to save her life, spin the story, and secure the future of her young country in this near-future political thriller."--
    Pen Pal by Francesca Forrest (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Stories of women placed in symbolic political positions that try to use their influence to support the causes they believe in

Received a galley through S&S!

Very different from my usual fare, but then my resolution this year was to extend my genre boundaries even more and I've been doing a decent job so far.

"Persona" is a near-futuristic, character-driven techno-political-thriller(ish) and yes it is awesome. Suyana and Daniel are each flawed and sympathetic and kick-ass in their own ways, as is the varied supporting cast. The action is brisk, the setting is engaging, and DAMN this would make a great movie. Ecoterrorism, advanced photo-tech, Parisian street chases....and flashes of taught political suspense woven throughout.

AWESOME ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
I was torn between 3 and 4.

I had a hard time believing the premise. Diplomats-as-celebrity-spokesmodels just never really gelled for me, as a concept.

On the other hand, I couldn't put it down and I really liked Suyana.

It was very entertaining and engrossing, and quite well-written. I'm just not sure how we end up in a world where international negotiations and relations come to resemble high-school cafeteria politics. ( )
  andrea_mcd | Mar 10, 2020 |
well written and the plot was interesting but idea has a whole was only half formed. I spent most of the book wondering if this was actually the second in a series and while it was clear that she's writing it is a future movie script it left a lot to be desired ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Loved it. My only complaint about this book is that there isn't more of it. (But I'm pleased to note that there will be.) It's so sharp, it's so effortless in the way that the blade of the plot keeps moving in one fast slice and leaves behind layers of world and nuance and commentary and character. I love that Suyana is both impossibly capable and amazingly human, and that Daniel is such an interesting mess. The buffet of amazing diversity in the main cast is gravy, but wonderful gravy. (Oh Grace. Oh Martine.) ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
3.5 stars. I...got drawn in but I feel like the world-building and the character-building was way too thin, especially considering that we got thrown into action for Valentine's book The Girls at the Kingfisher Club but I still had an investment in more than one of the sisters. In this one, I'm barely sure I have an investment in the main character, let alone the second (male) lead. The concept has potential, but it's so, so very thin and so clearly set up for a sequel that it's a bit off-putting. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |

Genevieve Valentineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The International Assembly audience hall was half-empty—too empty, Suyana might have said, in her first year there, when she was still surprised by the distance between good public relations and good politics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,988,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible