The Musings of a Carolina Yankee

1391,218,960 (3.39)None
Take a slow ride down a country road and let your mind and spirit find the peace of a wooded wonderland. Stop along the way and listen to the quiet. Read some pretty funny stories about things that happen in nature, with animals, and during hunting season. Encounter some eccentric folks, including Bingo Drake, Rattler & Tiny, and the Hunkering Heckler. Find out how a skunk ends up in a living room and why a deer wears a red dress. Chuckle at the rambunctious pranks of growing-up boys, and be awed at what happens between soldiers on opposite sides of the Berlin Wall at Christmastime. Learn what a "hoss bite" is and what goes on at the "Bobblehead Babtist Church." At the end of it all, discover what a redneck really is. Author Wally Amidon grew up living wherever his father was stationed during his Air Force career. When he was overseas, he stayed with his grandmother, who was a great story teller. Now you have a chance to hear his storytelling feats.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This amusing book of stories was so much fun to read. I like the title too, and how Wally weaves it into his stories. The humorous stories remind of Garrison Keillor's books which I thoroughly enjoy. My favorite one is the first one in the book, for I can relate to it, and how our children who considered themselves wiser than we act at times. Check it out, I highly recommend it. ( )
  angelswing | May 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection of humorous episodes definitely felt like "musings". Random snippets of life were described in an entertaining way in each episode, although some of the pranks seemed too cruel for my taste.
  lisa2 | Apr 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like to keep a book in my car to read while waiting for appointments, dining alone. Short stories are perfect for this purpose, and I have really enjoyed what I have read so far. Each story is a view into the life of the author - humor, inspiration, a little grumbling about this and that. I think I would like to have Wally Amidon for a friend. ( )
  Georgia.Bets | Apr 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although the stories shared in this books were amusing at times, I felt it fell short on keeping me engaged. I found it a little too easy to put the book to the side and move on to another. I wanted to like it, but just didn't seem to be my cup of tea. ( )
  angela.vaughn | Apr 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book free from the publisher through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. It is a funny book with some laugh out loud stories. One of the funniest is "A Christmas Story" about when he went hunting on Christmas Eve day with his son and his son's friend. The friend shot a buck with a medium sized rack of antlers. His son asked him to take it to the processor. I can't say more w/o going into spoiler territory.
It is a short book--124p and stories are short.
I give it 4 out 5 stars. ( )
  tom471 | Apr 4, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book The Musings of a Carolina Yankee was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,748,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible