The Strangler

by William Landay

The story of three Irish-American brothers that takes place in Boston in 1963, at the time of President Kennedy's assassination and the murders of the Boston Strangler. The oldest Joe, a cop with a gambling habit, Michael, a Harvard educated lawyer working for the attorney general, and Ricky a expert burgler.… (more)
    Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (KingRat)
    KingRat: Mystic River and The Strangler share common themes of close people growing up to eventually be on opposite sides of the law, with all sorts of mixed loyalties on all sides. Both are set in Boston and have the same hard-boiled feel to them.

A story of 3 brothers set in Boston at the time of the Boston Strangler. A dysfunctional family, a crooked cop, a criminal brother, lots of drama, not so much mystery. Felt a bit contrived in the plotting though I did find it interesting. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
Of his three books, I feel that this one was the weakest. Still overall, an entertaining read. One of the better books I've read this year. I always enjoy his character development and the twist at the end. ( )
  gail616 | Apr 17, 2015 |
The investigation of the case of the "Boston Strangler" forms the backdrop for this story of three sons of a celebrated Boston police officer, killed in the course of duty. One son is an ADA, another a police officer and the third a burglar. Loved this book and am an absolute fan of William Landay. Well written, well paced, good character developed and enough twists and turns so that you never want to put it down. ( )
  CarterPJ | Mar 9, 2012 |
I have to start off by saying that I was a little disappointed in this novel. William Landay's first novel was so suspenseful and I couldn't put it down, so I figured this one would be as suspenseful as that one. This novel follows the lives of three brothers, Joe, Michael, and Ricky Daley. Their father, a Boston police officer, was recently murdered on the job. All three brothers jobs revolve around the law; Joe, a police officer, Michael, a lawyer working for the attorney general, and Ricky, a burglar. The plot also follows the Boston Police Department's investigation of the Boston Strangler.

It was hard for me to really get into this novel. All throughout the novel I felt like there were two plots that just barely fit together, the investigation of the Boston Strangler, and the lives of the Daley brothers. Yes the Daley brothers are somewhat involved in the investigation into the Boston Strangler but I felt like the plot involving their lives and how their lives become involved into the cities gang and their investigation of their father's murder was the much more interesting part of the plot. The ending was the most suspenseful part of the book and the part that held my attention the most. Overall I just felt like I knew what was going to happen throughout most of the novel, and I would have rather the novel concentrate more on the gang then on the strangler. ( )
  dpappas | Dec 20, 2011 |
Hmn ( )
  brone | Apr 6, 2011 |
For Henry and Ted, brothers
In the subway: twenty swaying grief-stunned faces.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,290,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible