The Lure of the Local: Senses of Place in a Multicentered Society

by Lucy R. Lippard

In The Lure of the Local Lucy R. Lippard weaves together cultural studies, history, geography, and contemporary art to provide a fascinating examination of our multiple senses of place. Divided into five parts--Around Here; Manipulating Memory; Down to Earth: Land Use; The Last Frontiers: Cities and Suburbs; and Looking Around--the book extends far beyond the confines of the art worlds, including issues of community, land use, perceptions of nature, how we produce the landscape, and how the landscape affects our lives. Praised by critics and readers alike, she consistently makes unexpected connections between contemporary art and its political, social, and cultural contexts.… (more)

An enlightening exploration on the idea of 'place' using cartography, identity and nomadism as (some of the) points of reference. Written with an art-critical standpoint, this book is as enjoyable as it is nicely laid out - punctuated with good imagery and great formatting. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |
A thoughtful and eminently quotable take on the place of 'local' in fine art. Lippard wears her heart on her sleeve but that doesn't spoil a very readable book. ( )
  tonidew | Aug 9, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,792,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible