The Art of Sinning

by Sabrina Jeffries

Series: Sinful Suitors (1)

1208176,580 (3.83)None
American artist Jeremy Keane refuses to return home and take over his father's business. He'd much rather sample bevvies of beauties abroad, in search of a model for the provocative masterpiece he's driven to paint. When he meets Lady Yvette Barlow at a London wedding, he realizes she's perfect for his work-and determines to capture the young heiress's defiant spirit and breathtaking sensuality on canvas. No stranger to scandal, Yvette agrees to be Keane's subject-in exchange for his help gaining entry to the city's brothels he knows intimately, so she can track a missing woman and solve a family mystery. But when their practical partnership leads to lessons in the art of sinning, can they find a bold and lasting love? Contains mature themes.… (more)

Summary
Jeremy Keane, is an american artist, and is looking to get his name well-known. At a ball, he sees a woman who is so different from the other debutantes, she is high-spirited and full of passion and he is drawn to her, he needs to paint her. Yvette knows scandal, her family has lived and survived it, but she is desperate to get into a brothel and find her nephew. So she comes to an agreement with Jeremy, she will be his model for his artwork, if he will take her to a brothel in Covent Gardens so she can find a small boy who is innocent. Jeremy escaped America to travel abroad, and now resides in England. He refuses to open himself up to real feeling again, because it almost destroyed him the first time.Now he is faced with a woman who is so much more than he realized. She may be a model, but she has high opinions and she goes after what she wants. But soon Jeremy and Yvette will be drawn into a game of sensuality, but which one will win..
The Hero
Jeremy, grew up in America, and was always expected to take over his fathers mill buisiness, there was just one problem...his art. He loves his paints and had a passion for doing art, and he refused to give it up. But his father was determined to win him over to his way of thinking, but Jeremy found himself caught up in a situation that almost broke him body and soul. He loved his mother and sister and even his father, but he couldn't stay in America. He traveled across Europe paining sensual pieces and making a name for himself. He is content in England, but he has yet to find that one model that could win him the prestige that he needs. Jeremy is quite a charming hero, he is much deeper than he appears on the surface and many people on see what he allows them to see. I love how roguish he can be, and many other times he has honor and stands on it. But boy does he have an American attitude that I just loved seeing, especially interaction with the Brits.
The Heroine
Yvette was almost ruined by scandal years ago. She stands on her own, is intelligent and to many she is known as a "bluestocking". She isn't ashamed of who she is but has yet to find a real win worthy suitor that she could come to care for and share her life with. Yvette isn't afraid of scandal, even if she almost made a huge mistake years ago. But her brother saved her from a awful position that she was put in. Ever since she doesn't trust men or their intentions. When she hears that one of her foolish brothers, Samuel has a illegitimate son who is living in a brothel she decides she must take action to find him, even if it means that she will have to agree to a scandalous agreement with a rogue, a rogue she can seem to resist. Yvette is strong and cunning, I loved her intelligence and her caring nature. She is quick-witted and can battle any man with her words.
Plot and StoryLine
The Art Of Sinning was a captivating romance that had me from the beginning. I love what Sabrina Jeffries is doing with this new series, and including an artist as one of her main characters...genius. This is a warm and slow burning romance, we see build up of tension between Jeremy and Yvette, from the beginning they have some sparks but they don't act on it for some time except through battling away with words and quick responses. It was quite interesting seeing how these two finally come together and having to face their pasts. We see beneath the surface of Jeremy and Yvette. We see a little mystery get solved and boy this one brother Samuel he is quite awful when he learn the true extent of what he has done to Yvette. But her other brother...well it should be fun to see him in the next book. *wink*. I think what was most charming about The Art Of Sinning was the bantering between Jeremy and Yvette. They build a bond to each other, its more like friendship but more than that, they like each other but don't act on what they feel. They just go with the flow and try to remain in control. I couldn't help but admire the way this story evolved, and the focus is the emotional bridges these two form with each other and how they help each other overcome their pasts and embrace a future together. A Warm and gentle romance that has me eager for the second book.
The Cover
I love the simplicity of this cover. I love the embrace, and the smirk on the male model's face...so Jeremy Keane.
Overall View
The Art Of Sinning is an enchanting love story that is sweet and fun, with enough emotional connection to keep you satisfied...simply wonderful!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 21, 2019 |
Sabrina Jeffries' Sinful Suitors series is off to a fantastic start. The Art of Sinning is a mysteriously sultry historical romance. Yvette was my favorite character. Her mixture of strength, curiosity and naivety is an example of great story telling. While reading, it was quite easy to picture the situations she went into and wonder what she was thinking. I loved that she found her hero in Jeremy. Jeremy was just as adventurous as Yvette was but together he served as her filter. He reigned in some of Yvette's restlessness and less thought out ideas. I am really looking forward to meeting more characters within this series. I received an ARC of The art of Sinning in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
This is the first book in Sinful Suitors series and even though the premise of it is familiar, I found it entertaining as I followed this group of past and present well-meaning scoundrels forming a club in order to ‘vet’ and keep rake’s and scoundrel’s away from their unattached women folk. What can possibly go wrong, especially when it comes to their own members!

In this first story of the series I was glad she brought Jeremy, the artist cousin of a heroine from her previous series, and paired him off with a feisty Yvette.

It may take you awhile to warm up to the heroine, but once you do, you’ll root for her happiness. As for the hero, no matter how ‘scoundrely’ [yes, I know that’s not a word] he acted, I never took him for one. I liked him from the get-go.

As usual, Ms. Jeffries puts together some fun and intriguing characters in this entertaining story. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series.

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Good start to the new series, with characters from the previous series, The Duke's Men. We met Jeremy Keane, American artist, in How the Scoundrel Seduces, as he helped out with his cousin Zoe's problem. Now he is pursuing his art, searching for just the right model for the painting he has in mind. Nobody is right until he meets Lady Yvette, but getting a lady to pose for this particular painting isn't going to be easy, especially with her very protective older brother hovering.

Yvette is a young woman with a mind of her own. She isn't a typical English miss, having survived the scandalous behavior of her younger brother, and having a most unusual hobby of collecting slang for an unorthodox dictionary. She's intrigued by Jeremy's offer to paint her, and counters his offer with one of her own. She'll sit for him if he'll help her find her younger brother's mistress and her son.

There is a strong attraction between Yvette and Jeremy from the very beginning, but both are determined to resist it. Yvette has been burned once before by falling for a scoundrel, and barely escaped with her reputation. She no longer trusts her own judgment when it comes to men, but she's sure that Jeremy isn't a man to pin her hopes on. Jeremy knows better than to get involved with a respectable woman. Doing so could get him married to her, and he's been married once before with tragic results. He avoids any kind of romantic entanglements, usually packing up and leaving before things get serious.

I liked Jeremy a lot. He portrays himself as quite the rake, but when you look past the surface, he really isn't. He uses his reputation to keep people from getting too close to him, but working closely with Yvette makes keeping his secrets much harder. Not only is he attracted to her, he actually likes her. Trying to behave like a gentleman around her gets more difficult the more time they spend together.

Yvette is a very determined young woman. She has her mission and she isn't going to let anything stop her. I loved seeing her negotiate her requirements with Jeremy, and make sure that he doesn't try to renege. I loved her hobby of searching out street cant, and the conversations they had because of it. She also has a very curious mind and no trouble asking questions, even if they are inappropriate.

I enjoyed seeing their relationship develop, even as both tried to deny what was growing between them. Their conversations were fun, as both are quick witted and have pretty wicked senses of humor. Jeremy quickly came to look at Yvette as more than just a model. Even though he resisted telling her about his past, just her presence in his life started to change the way he looked at his future. I also loved seeing how he tried to change the way she saw herself by showing her how she affected him. I liked how Yvette didn't take long to see that Jeremy was not the scoundrel that everyone says he is. She is determined to find out why he pretends to be, and it was fun to see the way she chips away at his protective walls. When his past becomes fully known to her, she sees that until he deals with it completely they can't have the future they deserve. I loved how she saw him so clearly and called him on his actions. Facing that past and learning things he hadn't known before was very emotional, and I loved seeing that emotion expressed rather than buried. The changes in both of them by the end were significant.

As the first in the series, some time is spent introducing characters that will play parts in later books. It is in this one that the idea for a gentleman's club, devoted to the idea of protecting their sisters and female relations from scoundrels like themselves is introduced. Yvette's brother Edwin is one of those men. He seems to be quite a stick-in-the-mud at the beginning, but I warmed up to him as his love for his sister became more obvious. He also comes through quite nicely when Yvette finds the woman and child she had been looking for. Another one of the members is Warren, cousin and guardian to Yvette's friend Clarissa. Clarissa is another young woman like Yvette, with a mind of her own and no desire to forced into a mold that doesn't fit her. Other secondary characters were Jeremy's apprentice, who keeps Jeremy on his toes, and Jeremy's sister Amanda, who has been running the family business back in America. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Apr 7, 2016 |
I really like [a:Sabrina Jeffries|50886|Sabrina Jeffries|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1344970230p2/50886.jpg], so I was super excited to get on the ARC list for a new series. Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a spin off of another series (The Duke's Men), which I have not read. Gah! You don't *HAVE* to read the other series, but I wish I would have read it first. There may be some spoilers for those who haven't read The Duke's Men... but mainly I just like to have that background info on the characters and past events.

Notwithstanding my lack of knowledge, I enjoyed this first installment of the Sinful Suitors series. Our hero, Jeremy Keane, is an artist. But he is not portrayed as typical artists of the time... he was not effeminate in the least. He was all man... he may have been a gentleman disguised as a rakehell, but he certainly knew how to sin. Yummm-meee. He is a bit of a tortured hero, but his secrets are not overly dark. He has fled from America and somewhat estranged himself from his family under the guise of traveling to art exhibits the world over. Jeremy's art is of a darker nature, which is how he got his rakish reputation... he tends to look for models in the dregs of society. Until he finds the perfect Juno-esque model for his latest work, and she is a member of the nobility.

Our heroine, Lady Yvette, is not the dainty delicate flower that men of the 19th century seemed to prefer. Yvette was statuesque, rubenesque, fierce and opinionated! She even had what her brother, Edwin, referred to as her fishwife's pose! All of these traits that are leading Yvette to the life of a spinster draw Jeremy to her like a moth to a flame.

I enjoyed the romance that unfolded between these two characters. I felt Yvette was a bit blind to Jeremy's true character, but that was understandable as she was jaded from an encounter w/ a past rake. While Jeremy was determined not to marry again, the chemistry between he and Yvette was off the charts. The pace of the book flowed well and the relationship unfolded right until the very end.

There were also some great secondary characters that I believe will be carrying the series further as future love interests. I particularly loved Dambers and his street cant. I predict the next book will feature Yvette's brother, Edwin, and her best friend, Cassidy. I can't wait.

I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Sabrina Jeffries is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,862,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible