Hunter by Mercedes Lackey

Hunter

by Mercedes Lackey

Series: Hunter (1)

When you've read a lot of Mercedes Lackey you know some of the things to expect, an orphan, with secrets, and power. They find romance but it's not going to be easy and there are corrupt officials. This book has a lot of setup for the world and some geeky clothing details.

We first meet Joyeaux Charmand who is travelling to the city by train when it's attacked by beings from the otherworld. The barrier between our world and the otherworld has been damaged and now creatures from that otherworld attack. Hunters defend humanity from these creatures and Joyeaux is a Hunter. Citizens or Cits live in enclosed communities and watch reality TV with hunters beating the creatures; however things are not all how they seem and she has to try to fight those who would keep the status quo without examing patterns or problems.

Joy has some help in her uncle and his assistant who is a psychic and with whom romance begins to blossom.

It's pretty typical Mercedes Lackey, set in a more modern setting with TV and modern weapons rather than pre-industrial as usual. I found it very entertaining and I'm looking forward to reading book 2. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 5, 2018 |
Readable, anything goes type young adult fantasy where the new girl sort of instantly becomes a leader because of her special background and powers. ( )
  quondame | Dec 2, 2017 |
Mercedes Lackey muses to herself one day: What if The Hunger Games happened except instead of fighting each other, the participants fought monsters ? And, apparently, this book was born. I can't see any other way of it.

And, you know? I think this worked. Yeah, it's coming right at the post-dystopia swing so all of the things we know and hate about dystopia (aka the shoddy explanations about how the world even GOT to this point) are even more blatant and irritating than ever, but...

But the concept was fantastic. The use of magic was amazing (the magic system was literally through hell hounds? like? I can get behind that).

This had two major drawbacks for me, though, and the first was that I hated the protagonist's voice and narration style. Oh my god I hated it. It made for awkward, choppy sentences with weird punctuation. The second was that there was way too much info dumping. It was the most info dumping I've seen in a book in a long time tbh.

But those things didn't make it bad for me, the concept really did win it over.

eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Very suspenseful read after Joy gets to the city. She has to weed through a lot of mystery to figure out what is going on and who is up against her uncle as well as who is trying to kill her for unknown reasons.

The Hunters are to protect the Cits from all kinds of monsters from Tommy Knockers, Goblins, Vampires and more. Somehow they are getting over the barrier and lives are being lost!

Characters are good, setting and story line is really good. All-in-all a very good read. ( )
  Diane_K | Apr 3, 2017 |
Maybe I was sufficiently warned from other reviews, or maybe I'm just used to Lackey's style at this point, but I had no trouble getting into this book. The start was slow, but I genuinely enjoyed being slowly introduced to this weird science fiction/fantasy world. It's incredibly complex, with its mythology and politics, and I love that Joy is at the center of it; she's keeping the secrets of the place where she grew up while also playing the game and being a good Hunter for the higher-ups.

I love the way relationships between the characters is developed is amazing. I felt like I had emotional connections with the characters almost instantly, and whether that's because Joy is so well developed and I felt such a connection to her, or because all the characters are developed well, I don't know. Probably a combination of the two. One of my pet peeves is how romantic relationships are often developed in YA books, particularly. It all too frequently takes center-stage, even in a book like this one, where it seems like the pressing danger of the Othersiders should theoretically take precedence. Luckily, Lackey knows what she's about and focuses on the story rather than the romance. There is just enough of the whole this-guy-is-cute-I-want-to-date-him thing.

My absolute favorite part, however, is how well the mythology/fantasy elements are tied together with the science fiction/post-apocalypse elements. I love how religion and fairy tales are almost given the same level of importance in this new world, where Othersiders seem very much to match a lot of the folk tales and legends found in old stories. And the ways they fight these supernatural creatures with a mixture of magic that the Hunters have within them and the tech developed by the military is also really cool; as I said, I was fascinated by this science fiction/fantasy fusion. I found it incredibly compelling.

Super excited to start the sequel!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Mar 7, 2017 |
In loving memory of my mother, Joyce Ritche, who was always there for me, and was from the first my biggest fan
You couldn't see outside the train windows at night; the conductor had opagued them

"A teenage girl leaves home to join the legendary Hunters, who protect the people from the terrifying monsters that have overrun their world"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,803,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible