Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham

Rogue Lawyer (2015)

by John Grisham

English (75)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
For those who quit after a few pages, Not so fast! The book ties together in the second half. Funky construction, but a fun read. Because he's abnormal, Sebastian Rudd--he's the kind of protagonist that could be hard to relate to and easy to despise, He's only one of several characters who's like that. There are many. the plots all come together for a good and exciting ending. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 8, 2018 |
This was a group of disjointed short stories. Not what I signed up for. It's been a few years since I've picked up a JG novel and this doesn't count, since it's no novel. Disappointed but cutting my losses after 150 pages, I'm done. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |
The structure of this book is virtually that of a series of episodes, or linked short stories, in Sebastian Rudd's life.

Rudd's clients are often those whom other lawyers will not take, and sometimes they are not innocent. Rudd often attracts a lot of opposition, even becoming a target for those who despise his clients.

The narration is excellent with Mark Deakin dramatising a number of voices. ( )
  smik | May 27, 2018 |
This is set in a very different world than his previous books, and one I simply found less interesting. So I read 50 pages or so and put it aside for another more appealing choice. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
I usually enjoy Grisham, but this was very disappointing. Seemed as if he didn't have the stamina for a fully developed novel and came up with a rather rough collection of tales to crank out another book. I didn't even bother to finish it. ( )
  amaraki | Apr 27, 2018 |
My name is Sebastian Rudd, and though I am a well-known street lawyer, you will not see my name on billboards, on bus benches, or screaming at you from the yellow pages.
Like so many, this trial is not about the truth; it's about winning.
The road to justice is filled with barriers and land mines, most of them created by men and women who claim to be seeking justice.

On the right side of the law. Sort of.

Sebastian Rudd is not your typical street lawyer. He works out of a customized bulletproof van, complete with Wi-Fi, a bar, a small fridge, fine leather chairs, a hidden gun compartment, and a heavily armed driver. He has no firm, no partners, no associates, and only one employee, his driver, who’s also his bodyguard, law clerk, confidant, and golf caddy. He lives alone in a small but extremely safe penthouse apartment, and his primary piece of furniture is a vintage pool table. He drinks small-batch bourbon and carries a gun.

Sebastian defends people other lawyers won’t go near: a drug-addled, tattooed kid rumored to be in a satanic cult, who is accused of molesting and murdering two little girls; a vicious crime lord on death row; a homeowner arrested for shooting at a SWAT team that mistakenly invaded his house.  Why these clients? Because he believes everyone is entitled to a fair trial, even if he, Sebastian, has to cheat to secure one. He hates injustice, doesn’t like insurance companies, banks, or big corporations; he distrusts all levels of government and laughs at the justice system’s notions of ethical behavior.

Sebastian Rudd is one of John Grisham’s most colorful, outrageous, and vividly drawn characters yet. Gritty, witty, and impossible to put down, Rogue Lawyer showcases the master of the legal thriller at his very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 14:45:27 -0400)

A nomadic lawyer because of frequent death threats, Sebastian Rudd takes on a case involving a brain-damaged young man accused of murdering two little girls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,921,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible