Shallow Graves

by Kali Wallace

For fans of Holly Black and Nova Ren Suma, a gripping, hauntingly atmospheric novel about murder, revenge, and a world where monsters--human and otherwise--lurk at the fringes. When seventeen-year-old Breezy Lin wakes up in a shallow grave one year after her death, she doesn't remember who killed her or why. All she knows is that she's somehow conscious--and not only that, she's able to sense who around her is hiding a murderous past. In life, Breezy was always drawn to the elegance of the universe and the mystery of the stars. Now she must set out to find answers and discover what is to become of her in the gritty, dangerous world to which she now belongs--where killers hide in plain sight, and a sinister cult is hunting for strange creatures like her. What she finds is at once empowering, redemptive, and dangerous. Tense, complex, and wholly engaging, Shallow Graves is a stunning first novel from Kali Wallace.… (more)

Breezy wakes up a after she was murdered, as a man is pulling her out of her grave. Instinctively, she fights back, which is how she discovers that she can kill murderers (and get burdened by their memories of their murders). But she doesn’t know anything else, and as she goes across the country trying to figure herself out, she encounters other monsters—and monster-hunters. It’s inventive and gripping. Lots of violence, obviously, including harm to children. ( )
  rivkat | Feb 14, 2022 |
Happy sigh ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |
This concept of death and the monsters that roam the earth right underneath our very eyes, AWESOME. the writing is real, contemporary and for a fantasy genre, I really felt comfortable with the realistic fiction elements. I just love, love , love this book. It totally had me on the edge of ,my seat and guessing who did what! I hope there is a sequels and that says as lot from the dude that is over the never ending sequels in YA ! HEY, did I say I loved this story, okay just making sure you go that! ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
This was tough to rate. While I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I expected. I liked the beginning and the end but..it (slightly) lost my interest somewhere in the middle. It seemed to be going one way then branched off in a different direction only to return to the original path at the end and there were still a few loose ends left over.
Despite all of that, I will say that it is a compelling read and the lack of romance was refreshing.
Shallow Graves certainly does deliver on the creep factor and has enough mystery to keep you entertained. Plus the cover is beautiful so it's worth it!

maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
I always feel vaguely confused when I come across a YA book that's genuinely good nowadays. Which is an obnoxious thing to say, I know, but the vast majority of the YA I read is terrible. I enjoy the terribleness. So a pretty good YA book like Shallow Graves is just plain perplexing. Like, what do I do with this now?

Shallow Graves dodges a lot of common YA pitfalls. There's no romance or love interest, which is beyond refreshing. Our protagonist, Breezy, may have an annoyingly stupid name, but Breezy herself is a fully developed and realized character. She doesn't always make the best decisions, but those decisions are always understandable. About a quarter of the way through, I could feel the plot beginning to slow and stagnate. Ah, here we go, I thought. Here's where the book gets bad. Instead, the plot immediately launches off in a totally different and really interesting direction that I wouldn't have predicted.

The book ends on an unresolved note, but I don't mind if Shallow Graves ends up as a standalone novel. The unresolvedness somehow fits the story. This isn't a book about Breezy's entire journey, but about her beginning. Part of that beginning means lots of unanswered questions.

I will say that Wallace's menagerie of monsters feels a little overstuffed. The book could stand to have some trimming and simplification in that area. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |

Kali Wallaceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
The first time I killed a man it was an accident.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,125,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible