Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

Career of Evil (2015)

by Robert Galbraith

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: The entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson is excellent but this one, set during the Edinburgh Festival, may be my favorite. Like Galbraith/Rowling, Atkinson's Brodie series excels at making characters who are entertaining, fallible and fascinating.… (more)

English (145)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (151)
The third in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith ( JK Rowling) and easily the best and from what I have read the authors favourite as well. When a severed leg turns up at Strikes office addressed to his secretary Robin Ellacott the pair are confronted with an evil from Strikes past and someone who will stop at nothing to cause havoc and retribution.

Although the story itself is excellent, ending with a spell bounding cliffhanger, it is the information and attention to detail that sets this novel above a simple police procedural. For me I would describe the writing as Agatha Christie for the modern audience, with a list of possible perpetrators and the final unveiling cleverly hidden by an accomplished author. The real issue debated at some length concerns a group of people who are probably best referred to as "amputee wannabes" who chop off their own limbs to feel normal. Individuals who are willing to take drastic measures to mutilate themselves because they aspire to be disabled. This condition is known as BIID body integrity identity disorder and it gives people a fierce desire to rob themselves of healthy limbs. Of course there is a neat little association to Strike as he lost his right leg below the knee when in Afghanistan an IED exploded under a vehicle he was travelling in. Strike is convinced that one of three associates from the past, is not only seeking revenge but feeding his warped desires as he preys on defenseless young women before cutting and mutilating them in the most horrific fashion.

This is a much more blood thirsty tale than books one and two in the series and adds a real gritty dialogue to some exceptional observations...."A vast unfocused rage rose in her, against men who considered displays of emotion a delicious open door; men who ogled your breasts under the pretence of scanning the wine shelves; men for whom your mere physical presence constituted a lubricious invitation."...."He would never understand what rape did to your feelings about your own body; to find yourself reduced to a thing, an object a piece of fu**able meat".....For me Strike is an antihero, not a conventional detective but almost a freak who has to hobble around London on a prosthetic surviving on little sleep constantly fuelling his broken body with foods of convenience and copious amounts of his favourite tipple Doom Bar. The son of an absentee rock star; Jonny Rokeby, and a drug addicted mum Leda he spent his childhood moving between squats in Whitechapel and Brixton. "Career of Evil" has a 572 page count and never once did I find my attention waning so engrossed was I in this bloody yet brilliant third outing for a private detective battling against his own inner demons and physical infirmities. The fact that he is attracted to his glamorous partner Robin (and she to him) only adds to the fun and I am sure this relationship will be explored in greater detail as the series progresses....Highly Recommended. ( )
  runner56 | Jul 17, 2018 |
Can't wait for the next one in this series! ( )
  blogbrarian | Jul 16, 2018 |
Career of Evil
4 Stars

Following his previous successes, business is booming for private investigator Cormoran Strike. That is until his assistant, Robin Ellacott, is sent a severed leg in the post. With the police focusing on the most unlikely suspect, Strike and Robin decide to investigate three other men from Strike's past with both the motive and brutality necessary to commit the crime. As the two close in on the culprit, he may just be closing in on them…

An intense and exciting installment in the series. There is no doubt that Robert Galbraith aka Rowing is one of the most talented writers of our times. She certainly knows how to ratchet up the tension as she slowly but surely leads the reader down the garden path with red herrings and misdirection only to deliver an exciting twist and satisfying resolution.

New and fascinating details concerning Strike and Robin's pasts emerge to enthrall the reader and pull them even deeper into the developing relationship between these two captivating characters. Robin has always been an intelligent and independent woman, but the tremendous strength of her will is even more apparent in this installment. Likewise, the insights into Strike's former life are engrossing.

The secondary characters ranging from Matthew, Robin's obnoxious fiancé, to Shanker, Strike's amoral friend, to the sadistic and perverted killer are all fleshed out well and contribute to the gripping effect of the story.

All in all, a spine tingling thriller with incredible characters that will keep you coming back for more.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
“Career of Evil”, third in the Cormoran Strike series, is an outstanding entry into the crime series from J. K. Rowling. We definitely aren’t in Hogwarts any more. It is riveting from the first page, and achieves a wonderfully dark grandness.

Cormoran Strike and Robin are fully developed and highly sympathetic characters, and Robin nearly takes over the perspective of the whole novel, which was desperately needed after the focus and backstory of Strike in the first two books. Their investigation partnership places them in serious danger; and hearing them work their way through the mystery is eminently entertaining.

In this book, we find that Robin isn't really that into her fiancé, Matthew, and he comes across as quite lacking when compared to Cormoran Strike. Her relationship with Matthew carries them towards the marriage altar, deepening the gulf between her work environment and her private life, which vanishes as she and Strike work together. This is revealed in a surprising way with the last line of the book. Stay tuned for future installments!

The narration, as expected, was again outstanding. I will definitely pick up anything I see narrated by Robert Glenister. His talent and skill at bringing these characters to life is simply amazing!

One final note: I don’t appreciate the lyrics of Blue Oyster Cult as much after this book, given how adeptly JKR uses them at the start of each chapter. I guess I never realized how much they sound like an occult/serial killer. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 27, 2018 |
I choose to steal what you choose to show
And you know I will not apologize --
You're mine for the taking.

I'm making a career of evil...

Blue Öyster Cult, Career of Evil
Lyrics by Patti Smith
To Sean and Matthew Harris,

Do whatever you want with this dedication,
but don't --
don't --
use it on your eyebrows.
He had not managed to scrub off all her blood.

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible - and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them... A fiendishly clever mystery with unexpected twist around every corner, Career of Evil is also a gripping story of a man and a woman at a crossroads in their personal and professional lives.
Cormoran Strike plays
a dangerous game of cat and
mouse with a killer.
(passion4reading)

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible--and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,086,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible