Her Final Breath

by Robert Dugoni

Series: Tracy Crosswhite (2)

A serial killer known as the Cowboy is killing young women in cheap motels in North Seattle. Even after a stalker leaves a menacing message for Crosswhite, suggesting the killer or a copycat could be targeting her personally, she is charged with bringing the murderer to justice. With clues scarce and more victims dying, Tracy realizes the key to solving the murders may lie in a decade-old homicide investigation that others, including her captain, Johnny Nolasco, would prefer to keep buried. With the Cowboy on the hunt, can Tracy find the evidence to stop him, or will she become his next victim?… (more)

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
After returning from Cedar Grove where she successfully located her sister Sarah's killer 20 years before, Tracy Crosswhite investigates a serial killer they called The Cowboy. Pole dancers at specific gentlemen's clubs were being hog tied and died when they could no longer hold the pose the killer placed them in. Meanwhile someone was stalking her. She is still in her relationship with Dan. She is given the head position in a task forced created to bring The Cowboy to justice, but is constantly set up to fail at this by her commanding officer Delesco. ( )
  baughga | Mar 4, 2024 |
This novel was a little predictable, but I like the main character and the writing style of the author. I was a bit disappointed in the ending and was hoping for a different outcome, but in hind-sight I guess it was appropriate. This novel has two story lines, which I liked, but it seemed to get in the way of what appears to be the main story line. I do like how the author incorporated aspects of the previous novels and in this story it calls the reader back to those scenes. I like that because, while at the time they seemed incidental, they are pivotal to the stories in this novel. ( )
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |
I enjoyed this more than the first surprisingly. This was again, long but enjoyable. I like Tracy and I like Dan (although bit of an idiot at one point seriously? the code?. I didn't see the ending coming. I do wish Nolasco had of got a bit more of what was coming for him. Always seems to come out smelling like roses. Guy's an ass. I like Dan's dogs - well Sherlock anyway - what a great name. I am kind of confused as to why Dan helps out - or how Tracy is fine with letting him see an ongoing investigation - although I also understand why and it's a pretty minor point in the scheme of things but you know - reality and all that. Even so - easily overlooked. Anyway on to the next one. ( )
  funstm | Jun 27, 2023 |
I'm really loving this series. I enjoyed the first book quite a bit and this one even more. I was torn between 4 and 5 stars but couldn't justify the fifth because of some of the same issues as the first - repeated info, words, and phrases - so I'd go 4.5.

For the second time in two books, I wasn't able to pick out the bad guy. Dugoni is really good at surprising me!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Even so, I ended up getting it from the Kindle Unlimited program so I could listen to the audio book in addition to the ebook. The narration isn't great but I didn't have a lot of eyeball reading time and didn't want to stop reading. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 5, 2023 |
I found this book to lack the intensity from the first book. Tracy Crosswhite has returned to work after catching her sister's killer and now she must deal with the case she had before she traveled home when they found her sisters body. Because the killer has struck again and it seems that they have a serial killer loose that is targeting exotic dancers.

I had a much harder time getting into the story in this book, I just felt that the case wasn't that interesting, at least not as interesting as in the first book. And, part of me feels that the angle with the main character being targeted is used way too many times in thrillers/crime novels. And also having an enemy in the force that tries to get the main character fired, well that is something else that I have found happens too often. I mean I understand that there have to be some drama and its good to have and enemy or two thrown into the story. But arrogant cops and ambitious journalists are used a bit too often. Or it could be that I've read so many books with that kind of angle that it's becoming a bit tiring.

But at least, the story picked up towards the last part of the book when everything started to come together. I like that the loose ends from the first book are taken care in this book and that the ending wasn't all too obvious even though I had a suspicious feeling towards the end before the confrontation who the exotic dancer killer was and I was right. Also, I was a bit worried about Roger the cat during the book. And. that's typical me, being more concerned with the pets than the people.

But still I enjoyed reading this book and I would without a doubt read more in this series. I just hope for a more compelling storyline in the next book.

Thanks to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |

Robert Dugoniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sutton-Smith, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,955,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible