The Protector's War

by S. M. Stirling

Series: Nantucket event series (5)

Rising from the ashes of the computer and industrial ages is a brave new world. Survivors have banded together in tribal communities, committed to rebuilding society. In Oregon's Willamette Valley, former pilot Michael Havel's Bearkillers are warriors of renown. Their closest ally, the mystical Clan MacKenzie, is led by Wiccan folksinger Juniper MacKenzie. Their leadership has saved countless lives. But not every leader has altruistic aspirations. Norman Arminger, medieval scholar, rules the Protectorate. He has enslaved civilians, built an army, and spread his forces from Portland through most of western Washington State. Now he wants the Willamette Valley farmland, and he's willing to wage war to conquer it. Unknown to both factions is the imminent arrival of a ship from Tasmania bearing British soldiers…… (more)

For me, this was better than the first book. I enjoyed the Wiccan jokes, and I enjoyed the author's grasp of witch jargon. I very much appreciate that the characters recognize that much of what their culture is like today would have been ridiculous before the Change, even to other people into their hobbies. There is still the problem that the Change is not well explained, and that just about every character you meet has some sort of hobby that hearkens back to a pre-industrial age, but I'm willing to forgive the author that as long as I enjoy his world. I enjoy his world, even if it seems like some it is not well thought out. As for characters, Juniper is both a delight and an annoyance. Mike is infinitely practical. His wife is a real character, with some serious steel in her spine. I'm fond of her, but have no idea how to spell her name. lol The rangers interest me, and I wish they had more of their own book, but I think the next book skips their generation. As far as the various romances, I'm not really satisfied. The author seems like he doesn't really want to show his readers how things come to be so much as just showing how they end up. He does that a lot, but it bugs me more with some things than others. I'm not sure why he chose to write his books so many years apart, with important happenings going on between them, but he did. It's as annoying as the romances. Not annoying enough to turn me away just yet, but annoying. I do like that he seems to have grown his romances out of friendships, though he does a poor job of showing that. For all this, you would think that I did not like this book, but I really did like it. A lot. I'm annoyed because someone dropped the ball in a world I enjoy visiting. ( )
  Noeshia | Oct 23, 2020 |
So while i did like it; i'm only giving it a 3 due to too much repetition with the whole witches thang; gets old really quickly jamming it down our throats; seriously give it a rest; actually takes away from the story; however I loved love loved 2 quotes from the book; when Havel says "my son my son" after the horse thing; and when; Stirling did a take of of Eastwood's Dirty Harry famous magnum quote; awesome!!! ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
Really enjoyed this book in the series and look forward to moving on to the next. There were some interesting twists that were uncovered in this sequel and I really enjoyed it. A couple of moments were a little predictable, which is why I gave it 4 stars. ( )
  Jason_Gatewood | Nov 28, 2016 |
It is unusual for a sequel to be better than the first volume, but this book has better pacing and plot resolution. I was hesitant to recommend this series based on the first book but after finishing the second one I would be more likely to recommend. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
It is year 8, after The Change. People are trying to survive, relearning how to grow their own food, protect themselves from marauders and warlords. The Bear Killer Clan and Clan Mackenzie are separate but close, with a mutual pact to assist when the self-styled Protector once again sends his forces to conquer them.

Lots of details with regard to primitive survival, and a surprisingly strong emphasis on worship of the Goddess.

Characters are well drawn and strong, and the plot is clear and pointed, with one small exception at the end.

It has cliff hangers though so beware. I'm having to hurry up and read the next book in the series right now! ( )
  majkia | May 25, 2016 |

S. M. Stirlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salmon, KierMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my nephew, Gregory Taconi-Moore. Long life, health, many tubas.
I've been here before, John Hordle suddenly realized, his thumb moving over the leather that covered the grip of his bow.
"So mote it be," she whispered.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,512,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible