Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

by Irin Carmon, Shana Knizhnik

A visually rich, intimate, unprecedented look at the Justice and how she changed the world. From Ginsburg's refusal to let the slammed doors of sexism stop her to her innovative legal work, from her before-its-time feminist marriage to her perch on the nation's highest court, with the fierce dissents to match, get to know RBG as never before. As the country struggles with the unfinished business of gender equality and civil rights, Ginsburg stands as a testament to how far people can come with a little chutzpah.… (more)
Recently added byEDK916, KJRoeth, Hinkle707, AJ12754, nab6215, rubberkeyhole, ahblake, private library, marymatus, Monj

English (80)  Piratical (1)  All languages (81)
What an insightful book about an interesting lady! Really enjoyed this, it's a quick and easy read! Highly suggested! RBG is my new hero! ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |

I see some reviews here at GR claim this is a dry textbook or is somewhat boring. Well if you have no interest in the law, then yes, it will be boring.

I am not an American, but I see this book as a fascinating inside look into how the Supreme Court of the USA works. It also tells the story of RBG's life, her education, her career, her marriage and the effect she has had on the legal system.

There are a ton of photos, sketches, doodles and drawings as well as copies of some important legal dissents, notes and other ephemera that are creating by a Justice during the course of her working life.

There are 10 chapters and they take up just over half the book. The rest is taken up with Author bios and appreciations, Appendices, Source Notes (explaining the numerous numerical numbers scattered through the text), an Index and other legal stuff that COULD be ignored if you really wanted to ignore them.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars. Even if this part biography and part legal opus, no layperson could possible read this like a novel, and rip through it in one day. But it certainly does give out a ton of information. ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |
The RBG in the title is, of course, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, one of the first women lawyers in the US, and later Supreme Court judge.

She was an amazing woman who brought about a lot of good for women, but I was a bit disappointed that this wasn’t really a biography as much as a look at her work and career, and the changes she brought to US law. There were bits and pieces of her personal life, but not a lot. I listened to the audio and it was not interesting to listen to various laws being read. It was pretty short – it felt like it was abridged but it wasn’t. This was published in 2015, before her death… and also before Trump made it into office. For me, this was simply “ok”. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 10, 2021 |
Although I admire the subject of this book, the treatment here is far too panegyrical. The impression is that RBG has no character flaws of any kind and is never wrong. A biography of RBG would be a good thing, but this is little more than hagiography. And we certainly don't need an entire chapter on how she dresses. ( )
  kwhafar | Aug 22, 2021 |
A good page turner on the Notorious RBG. Don't get a Kindle edition if you want to get a better view of the pictures and artwork in there. ( )
  SocProf9740 | Jul 11, 2021 |

Johnson, AdamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plunkett, Shannon NicoleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, KatyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhu, PingIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the women on whose shoulders we stand

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,013,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible