Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Razzle Dazzle: The Battle for Broadway by…

Razzle Dazzle: The Battle for Broadway

by Michael Riedel

Engaging look at the powers behind the scenes that saved the Broadway theater from the mid to late 20th century. The focus is on the presidents of the Schubert Organization (the theater owners), the producers, and the directors who ushered in several generations of Broadway after the "Golden era" and New York's financial collapse. Riedel manages to weave the stories of competing creative interests, financial interests, and over-the-top personalities into a coherent narrative of the dig and rise of an iconic industry. ( )
  Bodagirl | Jan 19, 2019 |
It was fine, but never really grabbed me, despite being on a topic I have an abounding interest in. I managed to read 2/3 of it, set it aside for some time, remembered none of it, re-read it from the start, and now I'm done. It was dry (very dry, considering its author is essentially a gossip columnist). The characters never really came to life--it was like reading an encyclopedia's rendition of events, rather than a diverting historian's.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
If you've ever wondered who Jacobs and Schoenfeld are, why they have their names on theatres, and how Broadway has weathered the storms of the last century, read on for answers. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
For my parents, and for my friends Mike Kuchwara, Jaques le sourd, and Martin Gottfried
This is a very weird way to begin an investigation, David Clurman thought as he listened to the anonymous caller on the other end of the line.

"A revered and provocative theater observer presents a grand history of the producers, directors, actors, and critics battling for creative and financial control of Broadway"--Front jacket flap.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,524,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible