The Covenant by Beverly Lewis

The Covenant (2002)

by Beverly Lewis

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All languages (19)
I really enjoyed this book as I've always been fascinated with the Amish way of life. I liked the insights into the society: the courtship rituals and the close-knit community. The complete acceptance of secrecy was surprising. The author's prose is simple and plain, but not at all awkward. She says what needs to be said with the same clear succinctness employed by the Plain people. An interesting book, and an easy read. The novel really has no complete ending; I assume it is to segue into the sequels. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Book 1 of 4
  chooverwi | Feb 5, 2016 |
Good story, loved the characters, intrigued by the storylines... and then it ended. With little resolution. I hate that. ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
I was not aware of the Amish fiction genre until I kept seeing these books at the library with women with bonnets on the cover. I decided to give one a try. I liked it more than I thought I would, maybe even enough to read the next in the series. It was nice to read a book that was so linear and straightforward and just told a story where nothing was too complicated. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Growing up, I drank a bitter cup.

Book 1 of Abram's Daughters series from bestselling author Beverly Lewis. Years of secrecy bind the tiny community of Gobbler's Knob together more than the present inhabitants know, and the Plain folk who farm the land rarely interact with the fancy locals. So when Sadie is beguiled by a dark-haired English boy, it is Sadie's younger sister, Leah, who suffers from her sister's shameful loss of innocence. And what of Leah's sweetheart, Jonas Mast, sent to Ohio under the Bishop's command? Drawn into an incomprehensible pact with her older sister, Leah finds her dreams spinning out of control, even as she clings desperately to the promises of God. The Covenant begins a powerful Lancaster portrait of the power of family and the miracle of hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:48 -0400)

Four sisters in Lancaster County witness the secrets of their tiny home community as Leah suffers from her sister Sadie's shameful loss of innocence with an English boy and finds her own dreams of love with Jonas spinning out of control.

Bethany House

2 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764223305, 0764210866

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,314,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible