Glass Sword

by Victoria Aveyard

Series: Red Queen (2)

The electrifying next installment in the Red Queen series escalates the struggle between the growing rebel army and the blood-segregated world they've always known -- and pits Mare against the darkness that has grown in her soul. Mare Barrow's blood is red -- the color of common folk -- but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control. The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince -- the friend -- who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind. Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors. But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat.Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?… (more)

English (113)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (115)
Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard is the second book of the Red Queen YA fantasy series. This book picks up where the last book left off with Cal and Mare trying to escape the Silver royals. Mare meets new people on her journey but there’s a constant question as to who she can trust. The new King Maven is hot on Mare’s trail, causing death and mayhem that tears at Mare.

The Lovely: The concept, the plot and the tension of this book were still top notch. It did not suffer the second book pitfall of events becoming predictable and boring. The character development of Mare was much improved in this book over the last and the ending made me gasp and tears to form.

The Mundane: We met a LOT of new characters in this book but that were kept distinct enough that I didn’t get them confused. But, still, a lot of characters to keep track of.

The Dreadful: This is a YA book and does at time feel like things and situations have been “simplified” for the readers benefit. But, it doesn’t really detract from the reading.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Recommendation: I’m loving this series just as much as I did at the end of the first book. The tension and foreshadowing hints kept me reading and the new character development of Mare, especially in the last third of the book, made me connect to her so much that the ending hurt. As I’ve said in other reviews, I love when books make me feel. And I want to give Mare a hug. ( )
  FloofyMoose | Apr 26, 2023 |
hm. ( )
  abhkolo | Apr 25, 2023 |
[b:Glass Sword|23174274|Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)|Victoria Aveyard|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1436460934s/23174274.jpg|42720997] picks up only moments after the end of the previous book, meaning that there is no skipping over any fallout of the previous book's explosive climax. While a lot of Red Queen was about the rise of Mare Barrow, the lightning girl, the girl with red blood and silver powers, Glass Sword was about her slow destruction, in every way. In a lot of ways, that sets this book and its protagonist apart and elevates the book in an ocean of similar YA dystopian fantasy.

The main plot of Glass Sword involves Mare Barrow and a small team of followers racing against newly crowned Silver King Maven and the mind controlling queen mother to either capture or recruit 'newbloods' - people like Mare and her brother, Shade - on a commandeered military plane. Because of that it's heavily reminiscent of [b:Mockingjay|7260188|Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275419s/7260188.jpg|8812783] and [b:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows|818056|Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)|J.K. Rowling|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351958236s/818056.jpg|2963218]; though I feel that Aveyard manages to dig deeper into Mare, so that you don't realize you've been reading the deconstruction of her until she does.

I surprisingly enjoyed the continuation of the relationships between Mare and what I assume are her 'love interests' exiled prince Cal, childhood friend Kilorn, and even her cruel, turncoat ex-fiance Maven. Each relationship went in interesting directions, with Aveyard managing to sidestep obnoxious love triangles (the true villain of YA fantasy) and a whole trope of cliches. I actually quite loved the way Maven cast a shadow over the entire book despite appearing only rarely, it added atmosphere. His petulant, clever brutality makes Maven a dangerous villain, while his age and desire to control Mare add a subtly menacing sexual vibe to his evil. I also loved the relationship between Mare and her brother Shade, though I'm disappointed in the lack of Farley.

A fairly satisfying 8/10
  xaverie | Apr 3, 2023 |
I like it...it leaves me crying near the end...can't wait for King's Cage! ( )
  Joan.Cris | Mar 29, 2023 |
I loved it. The next book can't come fast enough. I feel like she won't be in a favorable place when it starts, but I still believe Maven loves her, albeit in his own twisted way. The weight of what she's done and what is gonna happen because of her choices will come crashing down around her. She's her worst enemy. ( )
  AliKatBlues | Mar 5, 2023 |

Victoria Aveyardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dolan, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandparents, here and there.  You were always home.
I flinch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,372,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible