Cravings [Anthology 4-in-1] by Laurell K.…

Out of the four novellas here, I most enjoyed MaryJanice Davidson's "Dead Girls Don't Dance," which presents a romance between a dumb jock and a cranky undead young woman that's about as believable as you could hope for, with a good amount of sarcastic humor. Meanwhile, Rebecca York's "Burning Moon" is a pretty good suspense tale with interestingly complex characters. "Originally Human" by Eileen Wilks is so-so on the supernatural elements and tiresome in the plot, leading to a pretty indifferent impression. And finally, this book is supposed to be built around the lead story by the famous Laurell K. Hamilton, but fans have complained that the "novella" contained here is merely an excerpt from one of her Anita Blake novels. That's painfully obvious here, as the "story" begins and ends inconclusively, and features characters and plot elements that are so under-defined that they have obviously been introduced more fully elsewhere. I gave it 3 stars but my suggestion would be to find the individual books by these ladies and skip this. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
3 stars to Dead Girls Don't Dance by MaryJanice Davidson. I haven't read the other stories yet. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
I gave up reading this book because instead of being a series of short stories it appears to just be the start of a book by each author. If I wanted to read those I'd read the full book, not just several chapters. Thankfully I got this from a book swap so it didn't cost me a penny. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
Synopsis: All four of these stories focus on love among the paranormals; one also has to do with tracking down a murderer.
Review: The order of stories is, thankfully, from weakest to strongest. The last story is also the one that requires solving a murder. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 30, 2015 |
Rating reflects all of the stories BUT the Laurell K Hamilton. I tried, I really tried, to find a place in my heart for some time in Anita's world reconnecting to characters I was once fond of. Too bad this novella is right at the cusp (pun intended) of When This Series Went To CrapTM. Sigh, I really spend too much time in these reviews hating on Anita Blake. Truce? I'll probably only last the night.

The Eileen Wilks story (the reason I ordered the book), "Originally Human," was fantastic. Having read Night Season and it's preceding novella first, I'm all aquiver for Eileen's writing to improve to that level. This story delivered. A tale of woman meets man with amnesia (that old shtick), it's a well told story that made me hungry for more time with these main characters. Eileen Wilks may prove capable of pulling a Kelley Armstrong, independently creating several main characters within one universe that I love. Of course, that means that I will suffer during "drought" periods, waiting for my favorite characters to have a turn (EVE, Kelley, THINK EVE). According to her website, these two do have a part to play at some point in the main story line. Here's to me and my baited breath, Eileen.

Mary Janice Davidson's "Dead Girls Don't Dance," was fun. As my first encounter with MJD, this novella earned her a precious "Hey, look for other things by her when you get a moment" nod. Hopefully when I read the first book to feature this character, I will bond with her more. Not really caring for her, while I found the story enjoyable. Why would the king of the vampires choose Minnesota as the center of his kingdom? That may be the most unbelievable aspect of this story.

"Burning Moon" by Rebecca York was the most "romancey" story of the bunch, but I still was amused by it. Loved that the woman is a tarot reader, as the time spent talking about the cards was fantastic.
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |

Hamilton, Laurell K.Contributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, MaryJaniceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilks, EileenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
York, RebeccaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blood upon my Lips: It was an October wedding.

Dead Girls Don't Dance: She stood on the shore of Lake Michigan and looked out at the black water.

Originally Human: Helen?

Burning Moon: Some people glory in the warmth of the afternoon sun.

Stories in anthology:

Dead Girls Don't Dance by MaryJanice Davidson
Originally Human by Eileen Wilks
Burning Moon by Rebecca York
Blood Upon My Lips by Laurell K. Hamilton

Longins in the night... In the heat of the night, anything goes. Boundaries are crossed and secret yearnings take shape. Creatures stalk the shadows, surrendering to their wildest needs--and satisfying hungers that take their victims beyond fear to the dark edge of desire. Succumb to the pleasure as four of your favorite authors present their favorite characters in all-new tales of bloodlust, of the kind of appetites that must be sated again and again, and of the passion that feeds them...

Contains:

“Blood upon My Lips” by Laurell K. Hamilton

“Dead Girls Don’t Dance” by MaryJanice Davidson

“Originally Human” by Eileen Wilks

“Burning Moon” by Rebecca York

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515138150, Mass Market Paperback)

All-new sensuous stories from four of today's most provocative authors.

Laurell K. Hamilton

MaryJanice Davidson

Eileen Wilks

Rebecca York

Four favorite authors present their favorite characters in all-new tales of bloodlust, appetites that must be sated again and again, and the passion that feeds them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,480,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible