A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

A Study in Charlotte

by Brittany Cavallaro

Series: Charlotte Holmes (1)

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson descendants, Charlotte and Jamie, students at a Connecticut boarding school, team up to solve a murder mystery.
    Every Breath by Ellie Marney (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: A take off of Sherlock Holmes with teen protagonists.
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: The Nancy Springer series about Enola Holmes has as it's protagonist, a much younger sister of Mycroft and Sherlock, and is considered to be juvenile fiction. The Brittany Cavallaro series features Charlotte Holmes and Jamie Watson, descendants of the famous duo, who meet at a boarding school in Connecticut.… (more)

I have mixed feelings on this book. I almost really liked it, but some parts were a struggle and overall it felt really forced. I think it was too much like a classic Sherlock Holmes story and wasn't original enough. I'd probably like the characters more after a second story with them. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Omg I am absolutely a Holmes/Watson shipper now. ( )
  AnnieSeiler | Dec 22, 2019 |
I'll be honest right from the start...I don't read YA books very often. I'm just not the demographic for that particular genre of book. However, I do occasionally like to delve into books that I would not otherwise have read if it weren't for being lured in by an eye-catching cover or great plot summary. This one fit into both of those categories.

I gave this book 4-stars because overall, I really did like it. The plot was interesting and the mystery was, for the most part, very well thought out. The characters were nothing new as they pretty much stayed in their familiar roles of Holmes and Watson.

The book was fun and not too "high school-ish", so overall, I was pleased. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Jamie Watson, the great-great-great-grandson of James Watson, knows about his family's history. He's read the stories and knows the current Holmes, Charlotte, is better admired from afar. When a murder, taken straight from the Sherlock Holmes stories, they'll have to work together to solve it.

This was an interesting story. Though I do have my doubts about Sherlock Holmes marrying (or not marrying) and having a child to inherit his genius, I did like that Charlotte and Jamie were not carbon copies of the original Holmes and Watson. They work well off each other.

The plot progressed at a good pace, though at times I did find it difficult to work out the logic. There were multiple instances of the 'F' word being used, which put me off. Overall, though, it was an enjoyable read.

I would recommend this to Holmes fans who don't mind a modern-day twist. ( )
  TheQuietReader | Nov 8, 2019 |
I would classify this book as chick-lit. It was fun and kinda twisty. This by no means is a serious read so don't go into thinking that. I have a high bar set for any Sherlock Holmes retelling inspired by, book. This one didn't quite reach it. Taken on it's own and not compared to the orginal it's a fine YA story. I probably won't continue the series but only because I have soooo many other books I want to read and not because it's a bad or sub-par. I would recommend this book to Vericona Mars or Nancy Drew fans. ( )
  mitsuzanna | Oct 26, 2019 |

Brittany Cavallaroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fitch, KatieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Funderburgh, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Halstead, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rissi, AnicaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had no idea that such individuals existed outside of stories. - A Study in Scarlet, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
For Kit and me, at sixteen
The first time I met her was at the tail end of one of those endless weekday nights you could only have at a school like Sherringford.
"I was maybe the only person to ever have his imaginary friend made real. Not entirely real, not yet - she was still dream-blurred to me. But we'd run through London's sewers together, hand in muddy hand. We'd hidden in a cave in Alsace-Lorraine for weeks because the Stasi were after us for stealing government secrets. In my fevered imagination, she hid them in a microchip in one small barrette. It held back her blond hair; that's what I'd pictured her with, back then.

Truth be told, I liked that blurriness. That line where reality and fiction jutted up against each other."
"When I caught her taking twenty minutes to eat a single almond, I began wondering if there was some kind of Wastonian guide for the care and keeping of Holmes."
At best, our friendship made me feel as thought I was a part of something larger, something grander; that, with her, I'd been given access to a world whose unseen currents ran parallel to ours. But at our friendship's worst, I wasn't sure I was her friend at all. Maybe some human echo chamber or a conductor for her brilliant light.

The first book in a witty, suspenseful new trilogy about a brilliant new crime-solving duo: the teen descendants of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. This clever page-turner will appeal to fans of Maureen Johnson and Ally Carter.

Jamie Watson has always been intrigued by Charlotte Holmes; after all, their great-great-great-grandfathers are one of the most infamous pairs in history. But the Holmes family has always been odd, and Charlotte is no exception. She’s inherited Sherlock’s volatility and some of his vices—and when Jamie and Charlotte end up at the same Connecticut boarding school, Charlotte makes it clear she’s not looking for friends.

But when a student they both have a history with dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other. [retrieved 9/9/17 from Amazon.com.]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,352,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible