D Is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton

D Is for Deadbeat

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (4)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (39)
This was okay.... ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 7, 2018 |
A client comes to Kinsey with an easy job but so easy Kinsey felt she was not being told the truth. The job was to deliver a $25,000 cheque to a 15 year old kid. The client who had given her a fictitious name turned out to be a chronic drunk with a sleazy background and he had just been released from jail. Where did he get $25,000? Why was he giving it to the kid?

Soon Kinsey has a list of questionable people who are very happy when the client turns up dead. For Kinsey at first it was how to get her money from the dead client as his retainer cheque had been a phony. However, soon she wanted to find out who had killed him even though the police had thought his death was an accident. Of course those people also want the money as well.

Complicated plot together with an interesting heroine who has her own personal issues to sort out made this a book I could not put down. As I was reading, I would ask why doesn't she just use her phone to head off that problem or to contact the police, but then I realize there were no cell phones in the late 1980's. Otherwise much of the social life of the characters could be taking place today. ( )
  lamour | Nov 27, 2017 |
#4 in the series. This one took me a while to read. It was harder for me to get into the storyline for some weird reason.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/123557.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Mar 11, 2017 |
My favorite of the Kinsey Millhones so far. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I felt like this book underlined my previous review/thoughts on C is for Corpse. I like Millhone's sarcasm but find her judgement of the emotional pain of Daggett's victims off. Her inability to comprehend or have compassion for others seems to make her really blunder through this case in particular. I just find myself really hoping that there's more warmness in her character looming in the books ahead. I couldn't come away from the final scenes having a lot of heart for Millhone. ( )
1 vote lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kannosto, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Visser, TobyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister, Ann
and the memories of Maple Hill
Later, I found out his name was John Daggett, but that's not how he introduced himself the day he walked into my office.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939027, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alvin Limardo walks into P.I. Kinsey Millhone's office, she smells bad news. He wants Kinsey to deliver $25,000. The recipient: A fifteen-year-old boy. It's a simple matter. So simple that Kinsey wonders why he doesn't deliver the money himself. She's almost certain something is off. But with rent due, Kinsey accepts Limardo's retainer against her better judgment…

When Limardo's check bounces, Kinsey discovers she's been had big time. Alvin Limardo is really John Daggett--an ex-con with a drinking problem, two wives to boot, and a slew of people who would like to see him dead. Now Kinsey is out four hundred dollars and in hot pursuit of Daggett.

When Daggett's corpse shows up floating in the Santa Teresa surf, the cops rule the death an accident. Kinsey thinks it's murder. But seeking justice for a man who everyone seemed to despise is going to be a lot tougher than she bargained for--and what awaits her at the end of the road is much more disturbing than she could've ever imagined…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Kinsey is hired to deliver $25,000 to a fifteen-year-old kid but discovers that the person who hired her is a phony who shows up dead when she tries to collect her fee.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,737,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible