D Is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton

D Is for Deadbeat

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (4)

English (40)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
As always, a great read. Never a dull moment. Her books could be read in one seating if one had the time. I never tire of Kinsey Millhone, the main character in Sue Grafton's books. She is an independent young woman, self-employed, doing what she loves to do and is good at it. As a private investigator, she is a minority in her field. If you enjoy suspense, this is book and series for you. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Nov 15, 2018 |
If you've been reading the series alphabetically you know what to expect. Not to say there won't be a surprise at the end of the story - there is - and I have to say I didn't see it coming. What also surprised me, though, is how contemporary the books seem even without the inclusion of cell phones, gps, or computers in the story line. ( )
  wandaly | Aug 13, 2018 |
My favorite of the Kinsey Millhones so far. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Well written, as all of these books are. I'm not really thrilled with the ending. The final scene is very good; the road to get there felt a bit heavy on the plot fairy. None the less, I enjoyed it and will keep reading the series :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |

Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Visser, TobyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister, Ann
and the memories of Maple Hill
Later, I found out his name was John Daggett, but that's not how he introduced himself the day he walked into my office.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939027, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alvin Limardo walks into P.I. Kinsey Millhone's office, she smells bad news. He wants Kinsey to deliver $25,000. The recipient: A fifteen-year-old boy. It's a simple matter. So simple that Kinsey wonders why he doesn't deliver the money himself. She's almost certain something is off. But with rent due, Kinsey accepts Limardo's retainer against her better judgment…

When Limardo's check bounces, Kinsey discovers she's been had big time. Alvin Limardo is really John Daggett--an ex-con with a drinking problem, two wives to boot, and a slew of people who would like to see him dead. Now Kinsey is out four hundred dollars and in hot pursuit of Daggett.

When Daggett's corpse shows up floating in the Santa Teresa surf, the cops rule the death an accident. Kinsey thinks it's murder. But seeking justice for a man who everyone seemed to despise is going to be a lot tougher than she bargained for--and what awaits her at the end of the road is much more disturbing than she could've ever imagined…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Kinsey is hired to deliver $25,000 to a fifteen-year-old kid but discovers that the person who hired her is a phony who shows up dead when she tries to collect her fee.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,917,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible