J Is for Judgment by Sue Grafton

J Is for Judgment

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (10)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All (37)
Kinsey is called back to California Fidelity to go to Mexico to prove that Wendell Jaffe is really alive and they can apply to have money they just paid to his widow returned. While she thinks she did see him there, when she returns home she sets out to get more proof. She contacts his widow and a son. Her sleuthing uncovers his mistress and a number of people who would like to harm Wendall. Then there is his son who has broke out of prison and when recaptured, is accidentally released when someone hacks the police database. ( )
  lamour | Feb 4, 2018 |
Popcorn ( )
  kwerle | Dec 13, 2017 |
The former Wendell Jaffe is apparently not so former. Kinsey's digging into his "widow"s insurance claims, as well as the fraud that led him believe it would be in his best interests to be believed dead. ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 26, 2017 |
As always, a great read. Never a dull moment. Her books could be read in one seating if one had the time. I never tire of Kinsey Millhone, the main character in Sue Grafton's books. She is an independent young woman, self-employed, doing what she loves to do and is good at it. As a private investigator, she is a minority in her field. If you enjoy suspense, this is book and series for you ( )
  DocWalt10 | Mar 10, 2017 |
I think the thing I liked most about this book was that we see Millhone struggle with the intro of her family. It wasn't "enter long lost cousin, stage left, *happy happy joy joy*." Instead she feels the lash of it but ends up working on it in her terms. She's honest with her cousin and she wants to be taken as she is, that's her standard for dealing with the sudden arrival of family and all that it infers. I think there's a lot of people out there that would like to be taken "as is" by family members; I believe that it was one of the most relatable moments in the books so far. The mystery itself had me a little disappointed. It just seemed to drag and fall flat in some areas. I found myself wishing there was more to work with concerning Dana and the boys. It seems like the mysteries in the books where Millhone is confronted by personal issues fall to the background when they could end up having much more punch to them in areas. So, as a whole, it was adequate; on the personal front, it was wonderful. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Torchy Gray,
in honor of a friendship that began
with a green bean collage...hers, not mine.
Western Kentucky State Teacher's College
Bowling Green, Kentucky
On the face of it, you wouldn't think there was any connection between the murder of a dead man and the events that changed my perceptions about my life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449221482, Mass Market Paperback)

"Ms. Grafton writes a smart story and wraps it up with a wry twist."
Wendell Jaffe has been dead for five years--until his former insurance agent spots him in a dusty resort bar. Now California Fidelity wants Kinsey Millhone to track down the dead man. Just two months before, his widow collected on Jaffe's $500,000 life insurance policy--her only legacy since Jaffe went overboard, bankrupt and about to be indicted for his fraudulent real estate schemes. As Kinsey pushes deeper into the mystery surrounding Wendell Jaffe's pseudocide, she explores her own past, discovering that in family matters, as in crime, sometimes it's better to reserve judgment....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:37 -0400)

While investigating the reappearance of the long-presumed-dead Wendell Jaffe, Kinsey Millhone uncovers some unpleasant truths about her own family in the process. By the author of "G is for Gumshoe."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,737,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible