A Court of Mist and Fury (2016)

by Sarah J. Maas

Series: Court of Thorns and Roses (2)

3,4741902,876 (4.52)54
Though Feyre now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, but as she navigates the feared Night Court's dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms--and she might be key to stopping it.

Soo didnt need my heart! Serious emotional rollercoaster this one! Laughing, crying and sometimes on the same page. ( )
  Saphira81 | Jan 23, 2022 |
I’m writing this review as a formal apology to my friend who first recommended this series to me and I DNFed the first book halfway through. You were right, this series is a lot more than I originally thought, and this book proves that.

The romance is great, the found family is spot on, the plot is slow, but that’s to make room for the relationship development which I think establishes all of these characters well. But what I think really makes this book is the character development. Feyre is a deep, complex character who is allowed to feel more than just pain and anger. She feels conflict, numbness, and goes through all of the struggles that someone with trauma has to go through. She’s given more than just the ability to want more in her life; she’s allowed to change her mind, and those changes come slowly as she has to build trust with the people around her, and the relationships she gains are hard-won.

I can see why this series would be a hit or miss for most people, but as someone who looks for fleshed out characters with complex relationships over plot or world building, I found it very enjoyable. However, I will admit that if you’re looking for an epic fantasy with Tolkien levels of world building and a fast-paced plot, this probably won’t be for you. ( )
  KatieWrites | Jan 4, 2022 |
Engaging and more graphic than the first book. ( )
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
Engaging and more graphic than the first book. ( )
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
After thinking that the first book was just good, I wasn't expecting too much from the sequel. But boy I was wrong. I was absolutely blown away by this sequel. It was wonderful and perfect and everything I didn't know I wanted from it. I went into this book only knowing that it was a sequel and that it was a persephone retelling. And I am so glad I went into this book blind - i think knowing more of the plot would ruin its impact. So to close I will share with you some of the messages I sent to a friend telling her why she should read it:
- NO love triangle
- Actual PTSD and its consequences
- An actual story line not centred around romance
- So much character growth and backstories
- Dealing and recovering from emotional abuse
- So much betrayal it could have been written by Pierce Brown

Most of those were in caps locks. Thank you so much to Bloomsbury for sending me this book. I have no idea how I'm going to survive the wait for the final book ( )
  sianhopper | Dec 6, 2021 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Josh and Annie - my own Court of Dreams
Maybe I'd always been broken and dark inside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,174,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible