They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer

They Found Him Dead (1937)

by Georgette Heyer

Series: Inspectors Hannasyde and Hemingway (3)

The sixtieth birthday party of Silas Kane was marred by argument and dissension among his family. And then, the morning after the celebrations, Kane is found dead at the foot of a cliff. The theory that Silas accidentally lost his way in the fog is confirmed when the coroner returns a verdict of death by misadventure. But then Kane's nephew and heir is murdered and threats are made on the next in line to the fortune, throwing a new and sinister light on Kane's death. All clues point to an elderly lady of eighty as the killer. But as the redoubtable Superintendent Hannasyde delves further into the case he discovers that nothing is quite as it seems.… (more)

Better than the last couple Heyer mysteries I've read, anyway. A few more entertaining characters than those at least, and a couple excellent set pieces. ( )
  JBD1 | May 26, 2019 |
Silas is hedging on a business deal that his business partners want him to fund. After a dinner party with family; the Mansells, his business partners; & their family: Silas goes out for his usual nightly walk along the cliffs and is found the next morning dead from a fall at the bottom.

His heir, Clement, was all on board w/ the Mansells, until becoming the head of the family. Clement's wife wants to be rich and indolent, Clement being the heir she becomes rich and decides not to leave Clement for her lover.

When Clement is found murdered in his study, Joe Kane, much to his surprise, becomes the head of the family. Joe was always under the impression that after Clement would be his female cousin in Australia, but because she is female she is excluded from inheriting...

As Joe becomes the next target his younger 1/2 brother Terrible Timothy (who grows up to help detect in later books) is there to help investigate.

Oscar Roberts, is the odd American w/ the Australian business, who stands to lose should the family turn down the business deal and who just happens to be around at odd moments to seemingly rescue Joe & Timothy from danger.

I figured out who did it, by one early clue....

I liked the story, but of course Heyer's characters are rather ridiculous, especially Clement's boorish self-centered wife & Joe's mother.... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Mar 5, 2019 |
When I was growing up, my mother had a slew of novels by Georgette Heyer, which I read; these were all among her numerous Regency romances, with perky and plucky female characters who brave the heights of English aristocracy to find their man. I had no idea that Heyer wrote other books, including "They Found Him Dead," a contemporaneous (published 1937) murder mystery set in a Grand House in the country and involving numerous lively characters, including an aging matriarch, a plucky companion, several generations of sons and nephews, a fierce maid, and assorted visitors of varying degrees of relationship. And, to my delight, a redoubtable Scotland Yard detective, Superintendent Hannasyde, who speaks little but sees much. It turns out that there are a number of books featuring this detective, and I shall start hunting them out now that I know about him; in the meantime, this book was quite a lot of fun - recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Sep 12, 2018 |
"They Found Him Dead" is one Heyer's mysteries. First, Silas Kane turns up dead, and it looks like a simple accident. But after his heir is murdered and threats against the next heir are coming fast and furious, the police must conclude that someone is after the money. I actually had this one figured out before the ending, so yay me!! ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 10, 2018 |
Very fun read if you like country house mysteries that aren't too terribly cerebral and complex (I like English country house mysteries of every conceivable variety), with Heyer at the top of her snappy-dialogue game. ( )
  jillrhudy | Apr 11, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fleissner, RolandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liebe, Poul IbTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meunier, DeniseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ogani︠a︡na, R. R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Widmer, YvetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Allison though that Silas Kane's sixtieth-birthday party was going off rather better than anyone had imagined it would.

One heir after another turns up dead…

The sixtieth birthday party of Silas Kane was marred by argument and dissension amongst his family. And then, the morning after the celebrations, Kane is found dead at the foot of a cliff. The theory that Silas accidentally lost his way in the fog is confirmed when the coroner returns a verdict of death by misadventure. But then Clement, Kane's nephew and heir, is shot and threats are made on the next in line to the fortune, throwing a new and sinister light on Silas Kane's death.

Everyone at Cliff House has a motive, and the Superintendent Hannasyde is called in to investigate. All clues point to an apparently innocuous eighty-year-old woman, but as the Inspector delves further into the case, he discovers that nothing is quite as it seems… and the redoubtable investigative skills of Hannasyde prove critical once again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,489,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible