The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander…

The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (2007)

by Alexander McCall Smith, Alexander McCall Smith

Series: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (8)

English (64)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (66)
Book 8 of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. My thought after finishing this was that, despite the series name, it was more of a soap opera than a detective novel. But then, I had to admit, the mystery portion of the series has always been sparse. The real appeal of these books is the humorous interactions of the characters. Alas, despite some attempts at conflict and change, those, too are kind of flat and predictable. As waiting room material, The Good Husband of Zebra Drive succeeds, but that's about it.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jun 24, 2018 |
Another sweet story of Mma Ramotswe and the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Mma Makutsi and Charlie both take a chance on leaving employment. Why do we never know how good we have it?? ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 14, 2017 |
Another good installment in the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series. McCall Smith continues to depict ordinary life in Botswana with a solid cast of characters that, after 7 previous installments, have grown into reasonably complex characters. I loved that Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni gets involved in a case of his own to solve which, inadvertently, produces a new mystery of a more personal nature, but it is Mma Ramotswe's keen observation skills, her understanding of human nature, her common sense and the ability to turn the other way that ensures happy results for almost all involved. Mma Makutsi is annoying for the first half of the book - I don't think I could work closely, day after day, with someone of that vocal a personality - but thankfully, she settles down into a more sedate and more forgiving character. Also, I really like how Charlie, the older mechanic apprentice, learns the hard way that starting a business of your own can have unexpected pitfalls.

Another insightful depiction of the "slice of life" activities at Zebra Drive and Tlokweng Road. ( )
  lkernagh | Aug 27, 2017 |
Book number eight in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. This time, various people contemplate changes in their careers, and Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni gets to investigate a case of his own.

Once again, the mysteries investigated by the detective agency aren't remotely the point of the story, although their endings do lead to some nice emotional moments (one amusing, one poignant, and one sweet). Instead, as always, it's really all about the characters and the setting, with some gentle musings about life and relationships in modern Botswana and some equally gentle humor. And, as always, I find myself surprised by the fact that, book after book, this never starts to feel tedious and over-familiar, but continues to be pleasant and charming and to leave me feeling warm and fuzzy at the end. ( )
1 vote bragan | Apr 23, 2017 |
Reading this series is always like returning to an old friend. The eighth installment does not disappoint. ( )
  Alliebadger | Apr 19, 2017 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, Alexander McCallmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kankaanpää, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Tom and Sheila Tlou
It is useful, people generally agree, for a wife to wake up before her husband.
Some said that they would have liked to live before the colonial era, before Europe came and carved Africa up; that, they said, would have been a good time, when Africa ran its own affairs, without humiliation. Yes, it was true that Europe had devoured Africa like a hungry man at a feast—and an uninvited one too—but not everything had been perfect before that. What if one had lived next door to the Zulus, with their fierce militarism? What if one were a weak person in the house of the strong? The Batswana had always been a peaceful people, but one could not say that about everybody. And what about medicines and hospitals? Would one have wanted to live in a time when a little scratch could turn septic and end one's life? Or in the days before dental anaesthetic? Mma Ramotswe thought not, and yet the pace of life was so much more human then and people made do with so much less. Perhaps it would have been good to live then, when one did not have to worry about money, because money did not exist; or when one did not have to fret about being on time for anything, because clocks were as yet unknown. There was something to be said for that; there was something to be said for a time when all on had to worry about was the cattle and the crops.
"Men and boys think that we would like to be them," she said. "I don't think they know how pleased we are to be women."
Great feuds often need very few words to resolve them. Disputes, even between nations, between peoples, can be set to rest with simple acts of contrition and corresponding forgiveness, can so often be shown to be based on nothing much other than pride and misunderstanding, and the forgetting of the humanity of the other—and land, of course.
It was so bright outside, with the winter sun beating down remorselessly, and the air thin and brittle, and everything in such clear relief. Under such light our human failures, our frailty, seemed so pitilessly illuminated. Here he was, a mechanic, not a man who was good with words, not a man of great substance, just an ordinary man, who had loved an exceptional woman and thought that he might be good enough for her; such a thought, when there were men with smooth words and sophisticated ways, men who knew how to charm women, to lure them away from the dull men who sought, so unrealistically, to possess them.
Mma Ramotswe sighed. "We cannot make all our clients happy, Mma. Sometimes, maybe. It depends on whether they want to know what we tell them. The truth is not always a happy thing, is it?"

THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY - Book 8

Fans around the world adore the bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the basis of the HBO TV show, and its proprietor Precious Ramotswe, Botswana’s premier lady detective.  In this charming series, Mma  Ramotswe navigates her cases and her personal life with wisdom, and good humor—not to mention help from her loyal assistant, Grace Makutsi, and the occasional cup of tea.

In the life of Precious Ramotswe–a woman duly proud of her fine traditional build– there is rarely a dull moment, and in the latest installment in the universally beloved No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series there is much happening on Zebra Drive and Tlokweng Road. Mma Ramotswe is experiencing staffing difficulties. First Mr. J.L.B. Mate-koni asks to be put in charge of a case involving an errant husband. But can a man investigate such matters as successfully as the number one lady detective can? Then she has a minor falling-out with her assistant, Mma Makutsi, who decides to leave the agency, taking the 97 percent she received on her typing final from the Botswana Secretarial College with her.

Along the way, Mma Ramotswe is asked to investigate a couple of tricky cases. Will she be able to explain an unexpected series of deaths at the hospital in Mochudi? And what about the missing office supplies at a local printing company? These are the types of questions that she is uniquely well suited to answer.

In the end, whatever happens, Mma Ramotswe knows she can count on Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, who stands for all that is solid and true in a shifting world. And there is always her love for Botswana, a country of which she is justifiably proud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Detective Precious Ramotswe has her hands full with her assistant's resignation, as well as a set of cases involving unexplained deaths at a nearby hospital, an allegedly cheating husband, and thievery at a local printing company.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,150,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible