The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (2007)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Series: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (8)

In the life of Mma Ramotswe--a woman duly proud of her fine traditional build--there is rarely a dull moment, and in her newest round of adventures, challenges and intrigues, the same certainly holds true. But one thing above all else is keeping her occupied--her estimable husband, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni. He has been hinting for some time now that he intends to do something special for their adopted daughter, Motholeli, and it seems that the time for this good deed has come. Of course, good deed or not, his plan is bound to hit some snags. And that's when he will undoubtedly consider himself doubly--perhaps even triply--lucky to be married to the ever-resoueceful, ever-understanding Precious Ramotswe.… (more)

English (67)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (70)
Turns out I'd already read this but had forgotten as is all too easy to do with McCall Smith's books. ( )
1 vote Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
This is another solid entry in the series. There is a shakeup at the agency and the garage alike. Mma Ramotswe must solve a mystery at the hospital in Mochudi. And Mr. JLB Matekoni gets to solve a case. This was engaging and entertaining alike. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
This is my second read of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Series and I really liked this one! There were three different cases that three different people solved because even Mr. Matekoni tried to solve one. Despite a few blunders, everything worked out well, except for poor Charlie, whose dream ends in a car crash. This is a good read. ( )
  LilQuebe | Feb 13, 2020 |
Another good addition to the series. I especially liked the words of wisdom about kindness and trust.
  Bookish59 | Apr 23, 2019 |
Book 8 of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. My thought after finishing this was that, despite the series name, it was more of a soap opera than a detective novel. But then, I had to admit, the mystery portion of the series has always been sparse. The real appeal of these books is the humorous interactions of the characters. Alas, despite some attempts at conflict and change, those, too are kind of flat and predictable. As waiting room material, The Good Husband of Zebra Drive succeeds, but that's about it.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jun 24, 2018 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kankaanpää, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kern, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Tom and Sheila Tlou
It is useful, people generally agree, for a wife to wake up before her husband.
Some said that they would have liked to live before the colonial era, before Europe came and carved Africa up; that, they said, would have been a good time, when Africa ran its own affairs, without humiliation. Yes, it was true that Europe had devoured Africa like a hungry man at a feast—and an uninvited one too—but not everything had been perfect before that. What if one had lived next door to the Zulus, with their fierce militarism? What if one were a weak person in the house of the strong? The Batswana had always been a peaceful people, but one could not say that about everybody. And what about medicines and hospitals? Would one have wanted to live in a time when a little scratch could turn septic and end one's life? Or in the days before dental anaesthetic? Mma Ramotswe thought not, and yet the pace of life was so much more human then and people made do with so much less. Perhaps it would have been good to live then, when one did not have to worry about money, because money did not exist; or when one did not have to fret about being on time for anything, because clocks were as yet unknown. There was something to be said for that; there was something to be said for a time when all on had to worry about was the cattle and the crops.
"Men and boys think that we would like to be them," she said. "I don't think they know how pleased we are to be women."
Great feuds often need very few words to resolve them. Disputes, even between nations, between peoples, can be set to rest with simple acts of contrition and corresponding forgiveness, can so often be shown to be based on nothing much other than pride and misunderstanding, and the forgetting of the humanity of the other—and land, of course.
It was so bright outside, with the winter sun beating down remorselessly, and the air thin and brittle, and everything in such clear relief. Under such light our human failures, our frailty, seemed so pitilessly illuminated. Here he was, a mechanic, not a man who was good with words, not a man of great substance, just an ordinary man, who had loved an exceptional woman and thought that he might be good enough for her; such a thought, when there were men with smooth words and sophisticated ways, men who knew how to charm women, to lure them away from the dull men who sought, so unrealistically, to possess them.
Mma Ramotswe sighed. "We cannot make all our clients happy, Mma. Sometimes, maybe. It depends on whether they want to know what we tell them. The truth is not always a happy thing, is it?"

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,658,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible