It's Valentine's Day by Jack…

It's Valentine's Day

by Jack Prelutsky

I would use this book as an interactive read aloud for kindergarten because they still struggle with reading and I would be able to read in a way that showed the rhyming. Also, there are several different poems so you could read just one and do not have to read the whole book. I would use it for kindergarten because the poems are short and use simple language.
  brandi3325 | Apr 11, 2017 |
A collection of poems about Valentine's Day, it is written in a rhyme scheme. In addition, the majority of the Valentine poems incorporate the rhyme scheme at the end of each line with words rhyming with each other. An example of that would be in this line:

I dump some butter in a bowl,
add licorice as black as coal,
then jellybeans, and eggs, and rice,
and chocolate chips, a touch of spice.

I found it really cool and amazing to be able to read along with lines and it makes it more vivid and engaging to read. Overall, it is enjoyable and simplistic to read and enjoy about the traditions of Valentine's Day. ( )
  jhcao20 | Feb 25, 2016 |
SUMMARY
This poetry book includes various short poems that relate to Valentine's Day.

REVIEW
I really enjoy the watercolor pictures that accompany these poems. I think it definitely makes the poems more engaging and fun to read. I also like the playful nature of these poems. For instance, there is a poem entitled "I Made a Giant Valentine" where a girl makes a giant valentine for a friend, but does not want to give it to him anymore because he was mean to her. She says, "I'm taking home that valentine to give my cat instead." I think this is a great resource for students to learn about the traditions of Valentine's Day. ( )
  tstato1 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Though this book was all Valentine's Day related poem's it was still overall a very good book. I liked the way this book was written because each poem seems like a mini chapter to me hearing about what multiple characters are dong on Valentine's Day. The one reasons I didn't like the book (which isn't a very big reason) was just that I was a little confused if all of the short poems were about this one little boy or if they were about multiple kids. I enjoyed the book over all because the poems were all catchy and had nice rhyming words in them to read. ( )
  ewestr1 | Oct 22, 2013 |
This was one of my favorite books growing up. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |

Prelutsky, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abolafia, YossiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hafner, MarylinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Prelutsky does for February 14th what he had already done for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween--and the results are delectable and ingenious. "A humorous celebration." --Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

A collection of Valentine poems including "I Made My Dog a Valentine" and "I Love You More Than Applesauce".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible