The Fires of Heaven

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (5)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. Rand Al'Thor, now fully realized as the Dragon Reborn, is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon. As always, the stakes are nothing less than cosmic. All civilization depends on the Dark One's defeat.… (more)

Pacing is still terrible although at least some things do happen other than at the end of the book. But my biggest issue with this series remains - I don't actually like any of the main characters, except Rand. And the female characters are either complete bitches or act like 3 year olds! I'm listening to the audio and whenever it's a female character I'm hoping the chapter will be short and then it's a relief when it moves to Rand. I mean, will any of these supposed adult women actually grow up?
The death of a main character was telegraphed - knew that was coming. The unravelling of the other deaths was clever though. Another thing I found quite odd was the Matt fighting in a battle and killing someone powerful but we don't actually see that - we just get told about it afterwards - HUH?
Jordan as usual lands the end though - exciting and interesting - it's just a shame that it takes so long to get there.
I'm taking a break from the series now to listen to something else on audio, then will go to New Spring. I'm determined to finish the series as it's a classic (supposedly) but I need a break. ( )
  infjsarah | May 31, 2021 |
It was so interesting I couldn't put it down. I managed to listen to the entire 25 hours of it in 2 days.
The narrators did a superb job. I'm not sure why I rated it only 2 stars all those years ago.

NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |
Nobody can spoil a mediocre book with an epic ending quite like Robert Jordan can. Four Forsaken taken care of in just a few short chapters. I think that is the main reason why he was able to keep a fan base at all.

I am so sick of being inside Nynaeve's head. Yes, I get that her self-denials and men bashings are supposed to be funny, but it is way over done and is just plain obnoxious. I like Nynaeve more than most people do, but until she stops being a compulsive liar and control freak and starts acting more like a grown woman, I won't respect her.

I enjoyed the circus scenes more this read-through. Jordan wastes so much time on side plots and gender issues that it takes so long for anything to happen, but that's not so stressful when you know you don't have to wait at least a year for the next book to come out. These books really should be read straight through—it is far too easy to lose focus if you have to take a break.

Rand doesn't bother me as much as he once did. His efforts to harden himself against all emotion and to take on everything himself breaks my heart more than frustrates me. Every now and then we still see that little boy inside of him, the little boy who takes care of the sheep and gets into mischief with Mat, but he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he is shouldering it the only way he knows how. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but I think he'll be a true savior in the end: compassionate, powerful, and strong.

It bothers me that so many people complain about Perrin resisting his fate, but Mat fights it just as hard, if not harder. It must be that Perrin is all emo about it, while Mat is rascally-funny-yet-awesome about it. Mat is growing on me; he's a lot more awesome than I once thought he was. But of the three boys, he is definitely the least mature.

And you can't forget about Moiraine. She was Aes Sedai to the core, but she wasn't stupid like a lot of the other ones were. She truly fought for her cause, rather than her power and authority. The way Jordan sets up the whole scenario leaves the reader with pretty much no choice but to miss Moiraine. And the fact that she thinks Rand is ready says volumes.

As for Lan, my heart is breaking for him, too. He deserves so much more than he lets himself have. Good thing Nynaeve is more stubborn than he is.

Was this the book that Suian, Leanne, and Min made it to Salidar? I think it is. It is impossible to rate a book this long and complex in one simple review. Yeah, I don't think I have much to say about them.

All in all, this book wasn't terribly exciting. So begins the long haul—the next 5 books or so are going to get progressively worse. But at least we'll get Perrin back. ( )
  AngelClaw | Mar 24, 2021 |
2021 UPDATE
There's not much to add to my original thoughts. I still love and hate much of the same things about it. The character and situational development is wonderful. Matt, in particular, really starts to blossom in this one. The men and women can never really understand one another crap totally gets on my nerves. Nynaeve's violence and self-denial drives me crazy. The battles are wonderful though.

The dual narrators really pays off in this one though. The last scene is really enhanced by using them for the distinct points of view.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
This book has a lot of development - both of characters and political situations. Which is fine. I'm cool with that. I also quite enjoyed the ending. There were some intense and incredible battles. In fact, one of my favorite battles is in this one. The last 200 pages were very satisfying.

I rated The Fires of Heaven 3 stars because it should have been titled Catfights and Repetition. I know how many damn ajahs there are. I know why Nynaeve originally left the village. I know that Andor has queens not kings. I know what a freakin' wilder is. You know why? Because it's book FIVE and I didn't just start a 14 book series at number 5! Who does that? Sweet baby Jesus, the information is in the flippin' glossary.

As for the stereotypical sniping, catty bickering - the book could have been 300 pages shorter with that taken out. I don't pick up epic fantasy to read about medieval slut-shaming amongst friends. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jan 9, 2021 |
A nice continuation of the series. I'll read the next, but I hear it starts to get repetitive not too long after that. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,885,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible