The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

The Fires of Heaven

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (5)

Loved all the stuff that happens. Asmodean, Moraine, Lanfear all dying. I mean, that introduces a lot of chaos and opens up the main characters to greater ranges of choice. And Rand dealing with the beginnings of the madness.

The battle between Rand and Rahvin[however you spell his name], was awesome! Balefire and portals, not much cooler than that.

The bad thing was that every single female character seemed to be angry, so angry that I would recommend counseling if they were a real person. Jordan really dropped the ball in characterization here. It really detracts from the plot and pulls you out of the flow of the story. Which is never good. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
*spoilers*
Well I just don't know what to say!! This series is great and just leaves you wanting to know more. I'm glad there are plenty more books for me to read!! I still love Nynaeve! I think she will be my favorite character until the end! Rand is just getting crazier but I suppose that is too be expected. I'm still not a fan of Egwene. I don't know what it is about her but she just drives me crazy. I love reading from Siuann POV too. I'm ready to read more about her fun with Gareth Bryne... I am wondering what is going on with Perrin and Loial though. The completely disappeared from this one! Poor Moiraine. It just is not going to be the same without her. Good riddance to Lanfaer. And who the heck did Asmodean see!!?!?! Bah...I think I need a little break before I start the next one.

LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Nobody can spoil a mediocre book with an epic ending quite like Robert Jordan can. Four Forsaken taken care of in just a few short chapters. I think that is the main reason why he was able to keep a fan base at all.

I am so sick of being inside Nynaeve's head. Yes, I get that her self-denials and men bashings are supposed to be funny, but it is way over done and is just plain obnoxious. I like Nynaeve more than most people do, but until she stops being a compulsive liar and control freak and starts acting more like a grown woman, I won't respect her.

I enjoyed the circus scenes more this read-through. Jordan wastes so much time on side plots and gender issues that it takes so long for anything to happen, but that's not so stressful when you know you don't have to wait at least a year for the next book to come out. These books really should be read straight through—it is far too easy to lose focus if you have to take a break.

Rand doesn't bother me as much as he once did. His efforts to harden himself against all emotion and to take on everything himself breaks my heart more than frustrates me. Every now and then we still see that little boy inside of him, the little boy who takes care of the sheep and gets into mischief with Mat, but he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he is shouldering it the only way he knows how. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but I think he'll be a true savior in the end: compassionate, powerful, and strong.

It bothers me that so many people complain about Perrin resisting his fate, but Mat fights it just as hard, if not harder. It must be that Perrin is all emo about it, while Mat is rascally-funny-yet-awesome about it. Mat is growing on me; he's a lot more awesome than I once thought he was. But of the three boys, he is definitely the least mature.

And you can't forget about Moiraine. She was Aes Sedai to the core, but she wasn't stupid like a lot of the other ones were. She truly fought for her cause, rather than her power and authority. The way Jordan sets up the whole scenario leaves the reader with pretty much no choice but to miss Moiraine. And the fact that she thinks Rand is ready says volumes.

As for Lan, my heart is breaking for him, too. He deserves so much more than he lets himself have. Good thing Nynaeve is more stubborn than he is.

Was this the book that Suian, Leanne, and Min made it to Salidar? I think it is. It is impossible to rate a book this long and complex in one simple review. Yeah, I don't think I have much to say about them.

All in all, this book wasn't terribly exciting. So begins the long haul—the next 5 books or so are going to get progressively worse. But at least we'll get Perrin back. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
OK. Another 1000 pages. The problem with these books is that 10,000 or so pages over 10 or 12 books is way, way, way, way too much to spend on one set of characters in a fantasy universe. Feist has it down: stories happen, people get old and die, new characters take their place, the world continues to develop. I never got to the end of the series (this was the last book I finished), but readers have told me that towards the end, an entire book take place over a few DAYS??? Please, I can't, stop, my head hurts. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 19, 2016 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812550307, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. The Dragon Reborn is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,821,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible