dismiss

The Fires of Heaven

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (5)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. Rand Al'Thor, now fully realized as the Dragon Reborn, is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon. As always, the stakes are nothing less than cosmic. All civilization depends on the Dark One's defeat.… (more)

Action packed! Characters developed in rather unexpected ways. A completely unexpected turn of events and overall a really solid read. Even the weird parts ended up paying off... Though I don’t feel like going to a circus ever again... ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |
The only plot points for which this book was worth reading are Siuan Sanche's sacking, her plot and character development with respect to Gareth Bryne, and the last four or five chapters. Other than that, I believe Jordan has surely spent too much time (excruciatingly) detailing fussing over the unnecessary and glossing over the unnecessary. Just thinking that Nyaneve's traveling menagerie got more time than the war at Cairhien sends shivers down my spine.
Get you sh*t together -_- ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
On rereading... you know, it was perfectly good, but I can't remember what happened in it, just now, days after finishing. It's so much just a part of the whole. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
This series is slowly creeping up on a five star rating.

I liked this book very much. it took me way too long to finish it, as I was pretty busy with university and misc. real live stuff, but this week, I finally got around to finishing the audiobook.

The book was, in parts, very predictable. But then again, in some other parts, it was completely unpredictable, which is a rare thing for me lately, and especially surprising coming from a series that is three months younger than I am.

As always, my personal highlight of the book (and the series in general, for that matter) is the world building. Give me a book with an interesting world, and I will happily read it, even if the story is predictable. Give me a book with an interesting world AND a good story, and I will devour it. At least if I have the time for it.

I will most definitely keep reading this series (or, rather, listening to the audiobooks, which are also superbly done). ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
The Wheel of Time continues to deliver, but not as smoothly as the previous entries. I've seen a lot of gripes concerning the reminders of details that were covered in earlier books, and they do slow down the plot. I'm assuming the reminders are there for those who haven't read book 4 recently. In any case, they are not the biggest issues.

Perrin and his group are absent in The Fires of Heaven, likely since he got some time to shine in The Shadow Rising. Also absent is the Jordan's world building. The heroes return to lands that have already been seen, so no new cultures are introduced. Instead, we see how recent events are reshaping the lands west of the Dragonwall. People are vying for power in the Dragon Reborn's wake while the Dark One's prison is weakening, and a prophet is gaining influence in the less stable areas.

Mat continues to try to escape from it all, although Rand finally gives him a talking to. Both Rand and Mat are forced to re-examine some of their feelings on women in warfare. Rand especially, since he has to deal with the consequences of his (in)actions. Both of them grow as characters, along with Egwene who is beginning to realize her own potential.

My two biggest gripes are Nynaeve and the amount of text that could be trimmed without affecting plot or characters. Often, especially in the beginning, there will two or three chapters in a row with the same POV character where the first one was almost unnecessary. That first chapter would be talking about doing something, and the following chapter would be doing that thing. The book can be a good two or three hundred pages shorter if these chapters were cut or combined. That said, when things are happening, they do not disappoint. The conclusion was especially satisfying.

Nynaeve was by far the most annoying part of it all. She's headstrong, stubborn, and used to getting her way, but how many paragraphs need to be her bickering with Elayne (who isn't much better sometimes) or thinking how great everything would be if everyone just does what she wants. On top of this is a lack of self awareness when she berates her group for being reckless, only to charge into danger herself when others who are far more experienced give her very explicit warnings of what can go wrong. Though she does eventually face consequences for this, its still pretty grating. ( )
  High_Enginseer | Aug 15, 2019 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,814,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible