The Association of Small Bombs (2016)

by Karan Mahajan

After witnessing his two friends killed by a "small" bomb that detonated in a Dehli marketplace, Mansoor Ahmed becomes involved with a charismatic young activist, whose allegiances and beliefs are more changeable than he could have imagined.

Much like The Underground Railroad, The Association of Small Bombs is such an important book. Spanning almost 10 years, Mahajan takes the reader into the complicated, painful, heartbreaking world of bombing victims, their families, and the people who are behind them. There is not a single part of this book that I would describe as uplifting or happy, and yet it hooked me from the beginning. Mahajan has a way with words, and his writing holds so much depth. In this time of fear and Othering, I think The Association of Small Bombs is a must read. ( )
  bookishtexpat | May 21, 2020 |
3.5 - All the pieces are well made, though the total ends up only ok. The prose effectively drags and prods with a few scattered beautiful sentences. The shifting focus is the strength and weakness, allowing for Mahajan's world-building skill to expand past each character while leaving an unfinished (unfinishable?), unsatisfying feeling in this reader. Above average, but could have been great. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Harsh. A bomb goes off and lives are shattered. Not a fun read but good on the pervasiveness of tragedy and the collateral damage of terrorism. A different kind of India book than I've read before but not one I'd recommend. Everything's so miserable, unjust and futile. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Some parts of this novel were like YES 5 STARZ PLZ but other parts were more like UGH ONLY 3 STARS FOR YOU. It really evens out to 4 four star book. Though I wasn't sure what journey the narrative was taking me on, it definitely made me think seriously about terrorism and what the effects of so many "small bombs" really is. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I really enjoyed the writing and social commentary in this book. It dealt with difficult topics maturely. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
Der US-indische Autor beschreibt in seinem prämierten Roman "In Gesellschaft kleiner Bomben" die Nachwirkungen eines Bombenattentats. Nicht nur im Persönlichen, sondern auch im Sozialen.

Mahajan, Karanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shah, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible