The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party

by Stan Berenstain, Jan Berenstain

Lizzy Bruin's slumber party becomes even wilder when Too-Tall Grizzly and his friends decide to attend uninvited.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  NMiller22 | Jul 20, 2019 |
Sometimes you get a peek into what the whole big world of a franchise property that you never see might be like, not like "I wonder what the Iraq War was like in the Berenstain Bears' world" but more like Sister goes to a slumber party and it turns into a rager and a fiasco and all the kids pull together the next day to clean it up and that's nice but instead of Sister who's all "I NEVER WANNA HEAR THE WORD PARTY AGAIN HNNGGYEAGGHGHH" you'd rather find out a little bit more about Lizzy, who's more like "Hey guys, remember how we just destroyed this house with a party and now we're cleaning it up with another party? That's ironic!" or Queenie, who wears a tracksuit and big hoop earrings and invited the bad olda boys who trashed the place. Or the olda boys, man. Where are the olda boys the day after? What cold pizzas and warm forties of OE are they killing before going to the lake? ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Feb 24, 2017 |
Although I enjoyed this book, as I do of all the Berenstain Bear books, I did not like this book as much as I expected I would for various reasons. The poem at the beginning of the story is always one of my favorite things to read in these books: “Sometimes little bears’ good behavior ends when they pack their pajamas and stay over with friends.” This book also contained the classic elements of a Berenstain Bear book that I really enjoy. Some include the beautiful illustrations, text features, characters and character development. This book also focused a lot on family interactions and dynamics. It contained a wonderful moral of privilege and responsibility. However, what I was really disappointed with in this book was that the story lacked its usual organization and flow of their other books. I don’t like it when books are all over the place and are a little bit unrealistic. It bothered me as a reader when this story jumped around too much and also tried to add too many elements to the plot. The sleep over was a good idea, however, I felt that the story got a little messy when the authors tried to add party crashers, rowdy boys, noise complaints, and police. It was just a little bit unbelievable that the babysitter, who was an adult, couldn’t control the situation. Although this is fiction, and the story isn’t too unbelievable, the lack of organization was just something that I usually do not see in the books of this series. This was a little disappointing, but overall the book was still age appropriate and taught a good lesson. ( )
  EmilyXia | Nov 10, 2015 |
Review: These series of books by Stan and Jan Berestain are very well written and have great illustrations. This book was very interesting and fun. It was about a real life situation that could happen to anyone, and the reader can relate to the story.

Summary: This story starts with sister bear getting invited to a slumber party at her friend Lizzy's house. After having a long talk with her parents about privilege and responsibility, they finally agree to let her go. When sister bear gets to Lizzy's house for the sleepover, she realizes that Lizzy's parents were going out of town for the night so they were home alone. Lizzy invited only a few friends to sleepover, but the word got out that she was having a party. Before Lizzy realized, she had so many people at her party and it was getting out of hand. The neighbors called the police because it was too loud. The police called all of the children's parents to come pick them up. Mama was very angry and grounded sister bear. After Papa talked to Mama and made her realize that it was not all sister bears fault and that they should have checked with Lizzy's parents before sister bear went to sleep over there. All of the bears learned a great lesson that day.

Argument: Overall I think that children will love reading this book. The Berenstain Bears books always write about meaningful things that children can relate to.

The message of the book is about privilege and responsibility. In the book mama bear says "sleeping over at a friends house is a kind of special privilege. And something that goes with privilege is responsibility." Sister bear said "privilege means being allowed to do stuff, and responsibility means not messing up." They said the meaning in the book and makes the reader understand the message easier, especially for children. ( )
  knold1 | Sep 14, 2014 |

Berenstain, Stanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, Janmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Author Stan and/or Jan Berenstain?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,239,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible