Hunted by Meagan Spooner

This retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast sticks a bit closer to the original French tale but it has Russian influences (Yeva mentions Baba Yaga and Prince Ivan a few times). I thoroughly enjoyed this twisty version of the beast and I'm happy to add it to my shelves. ( )
  ilonon | Mar 29, 2017 |
HUNTED was a very unique spin on Beauty and the Beast, but it didn't quite pull me in like I wanted it to.

In HUNTED, Beauty is the vengeful huntress looking for her missing father only to find herself a captive of the beast. I liked Yeva. She was fierce when she needed to be and I liked how she took care of her family. She had a lot of struggles to work through and it was easy to connect to them. I never really connected to the Beast, but I did enjoy the lore that was involved in telling his story.

The romance—if you can really call it that— was very slow. It was one of those things were Yeva despised the beast until she was free of him and then she realized that she loved him in the end.

I found the story very interesting, but the pace at times was extremely slow. The ending events felt weird. The writing felt different from the rest of the story and my interest kind of withered at that point.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Mar 15, 2017 |
Hunted by Megan Spooner is an adaptation re-telling of the classic Beauty and the Beast. This gorgeously written tale had me entranced and on an emotional roller coaster throughout the whole story.

It's full of action, suspense, romance, fantasy with characters that are bitter-sweet. The plot is engaging and this book is well. worth. the. reading! Ms. Spooner did a superb job with Hunted!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to HarperTeen, Mrs. Spooner and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Mar 14, 2017 |
This was a lovely retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The setting seems to be somewhere in Russia. Yeva is the youngest of three sisters of a man who is now a merchant but who was once a famous hunter. When he loses his fortune in a risky venture, they go back to his long-abandoned hunting cabin deep in the forest. He resumes hunting but is losing his mind because he feels he is being watched.

When Yeva, called Beauty inside her family, goes out to look for him she finds herself captured by a Beast who has the need of a hunter. During her imprisonment she shares stories so that she can hear the sound of a human voice and has Beast as her mainly unseen audience. Her stories recall his human side which had been getting lost in the Beast.

I loved the language in this story. I loved that Beauty was always someone looking for something else -- that she never felt comfortable in any situation because she was always looking to the horizon for more. Beast was the same way which led to him being cursed by the elusive firebird. I loved the interludes when the Beast is the narrator. It is easy to see the conflict in his dual nature.

Even if you know the story, this version is well worth reading for the twists and turns Ms. Spooner adds and the wonderful, descriptive language and the nuanced characters. I highly recommend it to all lovers of fairy tales. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jan 30, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,788,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible