Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs

Future Shock

by Elizabeth Briggs

Recruited by a Los Angeles tech giant, Elena Martinez and four others are sent on a secret mission to bring back data from the future. But something goes wrong for the time travelers, and they are forced to break the only rule they were given--not to look into their own fates. Now they have twenty-four hours to get back to the present and find a way to stop a seemingly inevitable future--and a murder--from happening. But changing the timeline has deadly consequences too. Who can Elena trust as she fights to save her life?… (more)

Review to come ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
I received this book free from Netgalley, to read and review. Thanks also to the author and publisher.
Second in the series, where 5 teens are sent into the future to bring back technology, only some don't make it home. The 3 survivors suffer guilt, nightmares and paranoia. When trapped into going again to rescue another team, they again lose members. Is there a traitor among them or does the Aether Corp. want them all dead? This can easily be read as a standalone book and still makes sense. It was a well written, well edited book with a couple for romance, adventure, mystery and murder.
Unbelievable part was Elena's complete belief in the wrong person when she trusts no one! She read as a little too needy for my taste and Adam was just too perfect. Otherwise an OK read. ( )
  florabundi | Feb 28, 2017 |
Five desperate teenagers are given an opportunity by the Aether Corporation to earn some fast money. In order to earn the money, they need to become guinea pigs in a time travel experiment. They are told it is totally safe and not to worry, but when they get to the future they learn that there is a lot for them to worry about. The characters in this book are likable and the plot is fast-paced and exciting. ( )
  AmandaSanders | Jan 21, 2017 |
Received via Albert Whitman Teen and NetGalley in exchange for an completely unbiased review.
Also posted on Silk & Serif

Elena, a foster kid who fell through the cracks long ago, is contacted by a giant corporation by the name of Aether Corp with a job opportunity that could change her life for the better. Instead of following in her father's footsteps and ending up in prison, she could go to college and have a real future. All she has to do is sign a non-disclosure notice, walk through a portal that will send her ten years into the future and return with data related to some super secret research for a tidy sum of cash. Sounds easy! Except Elena and her new team mates Zoe, Chris, Adam and Trent sense there is more to the situation than the scientists are telling them. Too late Elena learns that the truth is darker and more dangerous than she ever expected.

Elena's team is warned to not check in on themselves in the future, but when things go wrong and the team end up sent thirty years into the future they turn to their older selves for help. Their foray into the world to find their "future selves" leads to an exploration of a world that has changed in ways the team never expected. I absolutely loved Future Shock's technology that not only plays on Google Glasses, but also develops a new economic system based on fingerprints and virtual credits. Even cars have been altered to a new form that is both exciting and believable. I felt like Briggs researched not only current technologies but their expected trajectory towards new, innovative reincarnations which the science fiction nerd in me couldn't help purring over.

Briggs created a world that not only Elena found disorienting and familiar, but the reader has similar reactions to the descriptions of creative futuristic technologies.
Future Shock is a fantastic mix of time travel adventure, murder mystery and suspense. I especially loved that each character was extremely well developed and individualistic regardless of their role's longevity in relation to Elena's story. I also found myself being surprised by a few plot twists that answered some pressing questions and yet somehow created new ones. In the end, Briggs offers up satisfying answers and closure to a novel that holds many twists and turns without becoming a befuddled mess.

Personally, I loved reading a novel about a character who was believable. Often in young adult novels or literature in general, I end up becoming frustrated with characters that are from difficult backgrounds and are portrayed as weak or their motivations are not organic with their experiences. Elena is what I would describe as a wonderful example of a strong female character with a difficult background who is realistic. I cannot count the number of times that characters like this end up looking to "adults" for help or being extremely trusting after being abused and mistreated by society - an aspect of many novels that does very little to realistically portray a small segment of society adequately. I felt Briggs did this wonderfully.

I suppose keeping in line with the critique of how Briggs handled societal issues, I want to quickly point out that Briggs also created a character that will appease to the proponents of the YA Diversity movement and yet keeps away from the racial elements. Elena is a young girl who holds a Mexican heritage and a difficult background who struggles to fit into a largely white and conservative world, yet she does not judge others by the color of their skin, nor does she focus on her differences obsessively. I adored that although Briggs attempted to fit Elena into the diversity trend, she also did it skillfully without ruining the novel with racial slurs and negativity. Instead, Elena is developed as a character like any other with slight differences in her appearance, experiences and background that help to develop her as a stronger and more cultured individual rather than an obvious attempt to cash in on the diversity movement.

When I saw that I was accepted to receive an ARC copy of Future Shock I was overjoyed. I figured this novel would be amaze-balls from the summary and it turns out I was right. Future Shock is a novel that I easily devoured in one sitting and I am genuinely looking forward to the next book to this series.

This novel will appeal to readers who enjoy books about time travel, diversity YA, strong female leads with dark histories, romance that boosts the plot rather than becomes the plot and large does of a suspense. I would definitely recommend this to fans of darker literature since this novel deals with corruption and death. Future Shock is a coming of age story in a science fiction-time travel wrapper. ( )
  trigstarom | Jul 9, 2016 |
Future Shock was a bit of a disappointment. The characters never really came to life for me. The story hooked me early, but the selfishness of the characters failed to intrigue me. Elena is an orphan looking for away to save her foster sister from the existence she has had most of her life, but doesn't have the money to pull it off until the Aether Corporation offers to give her a great deal of money if she will agree to go into the future and bring back any technological discoveries that have been made in the intervening years. Elana embraces the opportunity even though she doesn't like the others going with her except for Adam, with whom she immediately feels a connection. None of the characters trust each other, and even though their reasons for accepting Aether's offer seem genuine and unselfish, they still have their own agendas for making the trip that don't include helping each other. Besides Adam and Elena, there is no real connection between the characters and very little emotion to keep them tied later in the story. The story's premise was good enough to carry the book, but the characters are what drive a story forward, and it just seemed like they never really got moving. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,199,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible