In the Clearing (2016)

by Robert Dugoni

Series: Tracy Crosswhite (3)

"Detective Tracy Crosswhite has a skill, and a soft spot, for tackling unsolved crimes. Having lost her own sister to murder at a young age, Tracy has dedicated her career to bringing justice and closure to the families and friends of victims of crime. So when Jenny, a former police academy classmate and protégé, asks Tracy to help solve a cold case that involves the suspicious suicide of a Native American high school girl forty years earlier, Tracy agrees. Following up on evidence Jenny's detective father collected when he was the investigating deputy, Tracy probes one small town's memory and finds dark, well-concealed secrets hidden within the community's fabric. Can Tracy uphold the promise she's made to the dead girl's family and deliver the truth of what happened to their daughter? Or will she become the next victim?"--… (more)

While Detective Tracy Crosswhite is investigating a domestic killing in Seattle where both the wife and son have confessed to the killing she is asked to look into a cold case - that of an apparent suicide forty years earlier of a Native American high school senior.
This is the first book of the series that I have read - I enjoyed the two investigations but at times felt that there was just too much detail and background information which didn't help move the story along but stalled it.
A NetGalley book ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
Tracy Crosswhite and her Violent Crime Unit team are called to the scene where a wife has shot her husband in the back, after he hit her with a statue. The wife is a son of a notorious criminal defense attorney, and the team is puzzled by a 21-minute gap between the shooting and the 911 call. Then, the son comes in to confess he was the shooter. Meanwhile, most of Tracy's energy is devoted to reviewing a 40-year old cold case at the request of her academy friend, who is now Sheriff in a small town, following in her father's footsteps. An old file was hidden in his desk about a young female native American, whose dream of college ended in a drowning death, ruled a suicide in the shadows of the town's football team winning a state championship. With advances in forensics, Tracy consults with several experts and figures out that she was thrown from the bridge, leaving her with the difficult task of bring the perpetrator(s) to justice. Solid effort! ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Another very enjoyable book in the Tracy Crosswhite series. This one covers two cases: one a cold case regarding a possible murder of a young Native American woman and the other a domestic violence/self-defense killing handled primarily by Kins.

The cold case was interesting and getting to know the individuals involved kept my attention. Tracy is truly gifted when it comes to solving cold cases but, while it was interesting, there really wasn't much of the excitement or edge of my seat thrill rides like in the previous two books. This one was much more about examining the evidence and solving the case. Don't get me wrong, there was at least one scene that made me lean forward and listen intently. But, for the most part, it lacked the action that I had come to expect. But I suppose it's not very realistic to have Tracy in mortal danger all the time...

The case that the A-Team worked back in Seattle wasn't given that much attention and was wrapped up quickly and, unfortunately, in an anti-climactic sort of way. It was all just laid out for us and, truly, I'm not really sure what the point was even having the case in the book. Besides showing us that Kins and the rest of the team still existed when Tracy wasn't in the scene. I hope that for the next book, the team works together or Tracy goes off on her own and works nothing but cold cases that involve murderous psychopaths.

So, even though this wasn't my favorite in the series, the cold case still had enough twists to keep me guessing either about those involved, how it happened, or what the motivations were.

Oh, I almost forgot, the repeated phrases are still present. Plenty of sentences along the lines of "if she was surprised, she didn't show it," and mentions of "280 pounds of dog." I hope some of that gets tackled in the next book.

I'd rate it 3.5 if I could.

*I was provided with a copy of In the Clearing by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
In The Clearing is book 3 in the Tracy Crosswhite series. Tracy, a Seattle homicide detective, is asked by a friend to take a look at one of her father’s police files, a case he worked 40 years earlier in a small town in Washington state. In the file were descriptions, observations, photographs, and other evidence of the death of a high school senior, Kimi Kanosket. Tracy agrees to research the case, and uncovers secrets about a town that valued their football championship more than they felt concern over the death of a Native American teen. As Tracy digs deeper into the case, she discovers similarities to the case she and her partner, Kins, are working on in Seattle.
I like how Robert Dugoni makes his characters come alive. None of them are perfect, they all have their flaws, including his heroine. The amount of research he does to tell a story is also evident. I look forward to the next book in the series!
#InTgeClearing #RobertDugoni ( )
  rmarcin | Oct 27, 2020 |
The third book in the Tracy Crosswhite series. The book was good. Most of the book deals with a forty year old cold case involving the apparent suicide of Kimi Kanasket, a Native American teenager in Klickitat County, Washington. Insight into the characters came from flashbacks. Ill go on to the next book in the series. ( )
  buffalogr | Jun 2, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,539,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible