Am I Too Loud? by Gerald Moore

Am I Too Loud? (1962)

by Gerald Moore

Fourth edition.
  Dlsnyder65 | Sep 18, 2017 |
An enjoyable account of the life and rise to fame of the piano accompanist par excellence as he self-effacingly recalls his tribulations in draughty concert halls, primitive recording studios and with amateurish singers and soloists. Moore's perseverance and talent led to him accompanying some of the greatest names in twentieth-century classical music - Casals, Ferrier, Schwarzkopf and Fischer-Dieskau, to name a few - and his admiration for these artists, evident but never fawning, made me want to know more about them (fortunately, I have a Grove Dictionary, so there's nothing to stop me). The author's later musings on such subjects as television and lecture tours are, perhaps, less interesting, but on the whole this is a delightful book which I can warmly recommend. ( )
1 vote cappybear | Jul 7, 2012 |
  USYDArtsMusicLibrary | Aug 10, 2010 |
An Gerald Moore: "Bist Du bei mir, geh ich in Frieden!" - Auf Flügeln des Gesamges (Elisabeth Schwarzkopf)
TO ENID
'I don't know what will become of the boy; he's no good at school and no good at games. It isn't as if he even had any hobbies:' So that indomitable woman, my mother, frequently addressed my father: in my hearing, of course.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,520,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible