Glimpses by Lewis Shiner

Glimpses (1993)

by Lewis Shiner

220579,736 (4.16)11

It's good. Baby boomers and their rock gods, man. The Gen X perspective is a bit different. I wonder how I would have felt about it if I'd read when it came out, instead of almost twenty years after that. ( )
1 vote Jon_Hansen | Jan 29, 2019 |
...one of the best novels (with a slight sci-fi bent) about rock music I've ever read! I can't say enough good things about this book!:) ( )
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
Lewis Shiner has written a great American Rock 'n Roll novel. Honestly, it was hard to get into as the pacing is a little awkward, but chalk this to the backbeat and keep pressing forward. Ray Shackleford has attained the ability to step back in time to music that was and tweak it to the greatness it deserved and could have been. He develops this ability shortly after a spiritual catharsis where he has to deal with his wounds and trauma of life - alcoholic abusive father, father's death, codependent mother, and more. It is a shamanic journey of messy spirituality in all the glory of Sex, Drugs and Rock'n Roll. . Only a healthy dash of The Beatles, The Doors, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, and Hendrix can push Ray to the spiritual transformation he so desperately needs. ( )
  revslick | Jul 15, 2013 |
The first three years after discovering Glimpses by Lewis Shiner I read it once a year, which doesn’t happen to me very often in reading a book.

Ray Shackleford is a stereo repairman with problems. A father with whom he had a contentious relationship has died under mysterious circumstances, his marriage is unraveling like a ball string in his fingers and he can’t quite grasp the threads to pull it back together, a burgeoning drinking problem, and a career as a rock star that never got started much less going anywhere. But he has discovered a means of escape, by retreating into the past, and not just any past, he retreats to the 60’s to help the idols of his Rock ‘n’ Roll dreams reclaim what they’ve lost, their lost albums. Brian Wilson’s Smile, Jim Morrison and The Celebration of the Lizard, and Jimi Hendrix’s The First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

I first read this book because I was looking for a nice escapist book to lose myself in for a few hours. I found that. The more I read the more I found myself drawn in, especially to Ray’s trips to the past, his getting drawn into Brian Wilson’s family, living the Rock ‘n’ Roll lifestyle with Jim Morrison as his guide, and Ray’s truly heartbreaking attempts to keep Jimi Hendrix from dying. The question is will these trips to the past help Ray heal the same issues he has in his life?

There is the element of time travel in this book. Is Ray really going back into the past and meeting his idols? Or is he suffering a series of strokes? Glimpses offers evidence of both, giving the reader the choice of which is truly occurring.

On each reading of Glimpses, I found something new in it, some nuance previously undiscovered. I guess one could say that is due to the changing circumstances of my life. But isn’t that the mark of any good book? That we can find something new in it from whatever perspective in life we are coming at it? ( )
2 vote JimCherry | Nov 12, 2009 |

Ray Shackleford, a disillusioned, former 1960s youth, discovers that he has the special talent to tap into the spiritual energies of such music legends as Morrison, Hendrix, and Lennon to access songs that had never been written. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Ray Shackleford is trying to deal with the death of his father and the collapse of his marriage when the impossible happens: music that no one has ever heard before begins to play from his stereo speakers. It is only the first step on a journey that will take him to Los Angeles, London, Cozumel, and points far beyond, and that will bring him face to face with Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, Jimi Hendrix-and his own mortality.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible