Crosstalk by Connie Willis

Crosstalk

by Connie Willis

5204328,628 (3.74)55

I really enjoyed this book. I am aware of a lot of negative comments about it but I for me it was just a fun, fun read and while I don’t read a lot of romance, this is a fun romance. The story is about “too much information” meaning too much communication and is set in a cell phone business trying to get the next big market break though in telecommunications. The company wants to be able to increase communications so that not only words but feelings/emotions can be communicated. Connie Willis can write a very humorous story. I’ve like a lot of what she has written and this is up there with some of my favorites. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 16, 2018 |
The book was fast paced and fun to read but I found myself annoyed with the main character and the romance was kind of creepy. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
This is a high 3 from me--it stops short of a 4 because I didn't find it particularly moving, and for its length, there wasn't a lot of payoff. It's 500 pages long, and it's a remarkably brisk read--quite a page turner, like a Michael Crichton but with zero violence or machismo--so kudos for accomplishing that feat--but though fun at the time, it wasn't a filling meal, so to speak.

I wouldn't steer anyone away--I enjoyed reading it--it's just that afterward I wanted something more. So 3 stars it is.

I suspect my lack of emotional involvement came from the plot itself. No spoilers, but it didn't seem to me that the plot was in evidence--I like to know where the story thinks it is going, like "will they solve the murder" or "will she convince the authorities to let her keep her child" or "will the Tellurians triumph over the Korakk invaders" but here stuff just kept happening, and that's probably why 500 pages! So without knowing the stakes at play and being able to root for a successful outcome, there's nothing to do but amble alongside them, randomly, as events unfurl.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
They say that open communication is the key to a successful relationship. But is it really? Communicating everything? Connie Willis explores this in a fun romantic comedy about telepathy, cell phones, and too much connectedness. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Connie Willis's Crosstalk focuses on Briddey Flannigan, an employee of Commspan (a generic telecommunications company) who gets an E.E.D. performed in order to be more emotionally connected to her boyfriend, Trent. C.B., a co-worker, warns her that there may be unintended consequences and she awakes from the surgery to find that she's telepathic and can hear C.B.'s voice in her head. From there, the narrative focuses on Briddey trying to control her unwanted "gifts" with C.B.'s assistance all while hoping to avoid disaster with Trent.
Willis's story ably satirizes our hyper-connected world, with frequent invasions of privacy and anxiety-inducing social obligations to be glued to one's phone and social media. Though she uses telepathy as a plot device, she successfully grounds the story in something so pervasive in our every day lives that it never feels like too much speculation. The overall story is a bit unclear at first as Willis seeks to put the reader inside Briddey's head and convey the chaos of hyper-connectivity - this subjective style being one of Willis's strengths as a writer. Once she's established the world and the ground rules, the narrative really takes off and it's difficult to put down. A good read for fans of Willis's other work or those looking for speculative sci-fi that's a bit closer to home. ( )
  DarthDeverell | May 16, 2018 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"In Ireland the inevitable never happens
and the unexpected constantly occurs."

John Pentland Mahaffy
"In every crowd are certain persons who seem just like the rest, yet they bear amazing messages."

Antoine de St. Exupery, Night Flight
"Listen up."

Ghost Town
To the inimitable - and irreplaceable - Mary Stewart
By the time Briddey pulled into the parking garage at Commspan there were forty-two text messages on her phone.

Briddey is about to get exactly what she thinks she wants ...Briddey is a high-powered exec in the mobile phone industry. Other people develop the product, she oversees it. From concept ('anything to beat the new smart phone') to delivery. And she works with her wonderful partner, Trent. They've been together for six magical weeks, in a whirlwind of flowers, dinners, laughter and now comes the icing on the cake: not a weekend away or a proposal but something even better. An EDD. A procedure which will let them sense each other's feelings. Trent doesn't just want to tell her how much he loves her - he wants her to feel it. Everything is perfect. The trouble is, Briddey can't breathe a word of it to anyone (difficult, when the whole office is guessing) until she's had two minutes to call her family. And they're hounding her about the latest family drama, but when they find out about the EDD - which they will - they'll drop everything to question the life out of her. And if they see it online first then she'll have to explain why she didn't trust them to begin with. And it might just be easier to have the procedure done now and explain later. Only, to top it all off, Apple are poised to deliver an amazing new product and her company, Commsplan, has to be one step ahead ...if she can only persuade their resident inventor, C. B., to drop his crazy ideas about a 'privacy phone' with its 'do not disturb' settings, and focus on what people really want: more efficient, instinctive and immediate ways to communicate. The race is on: not just for new, cutting-edge technology, but also for a shred of privacy in a public world and - for Briddey - a chance for love at the heart of it all. This is a brilliant, heart-warming romantic comedy from one of the wittiest and wisest of our authors. Written with a light touch and a smile, we're swept up in Briddey's romance - and into the difficulties of a world just one technological step away from our own, as technology and social media blur (or indeed remove) the line between personal and public. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face, this made-for-movie story is a near-perfect summer read. Winner of the Hugo Award 1993 Winner of the Nebula Award 1993 "A tour de force" - New York Times Book Review "Ambitious, finely detailed and compulsivly readable" - Locus "It is a book that feels fundamentally true; it is a book to live in" - Washington Post

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 31 Dec 2015 20:14:40 -0500)

Science fiction icon Connie Willis brilliantly mixes a speculative plot, the wit of Nora Ephron, and the comedic flair of P. G. Wodehouse in Crosstalk-- a genre-bending novel that pushes social media, Smartphone technology, and twenty-four-hour availability to hilarious and chilling extremes as one young woman abruptly finds herself with way more connectivity than she ever desired. In the not-too-distant future, a simple outpatient procedure to increase empathy between romantic partners has become all the rage. And Briddey Flannigan is delighted when her boyfriend, Trent, suggests undergoing the operation prior to a marriage proposal-- to enjoy better emotional connection and a perfect relationship with complete communication and understanding. But things don't quite work out as planned, and Briddey finds herself connected to someone else entirely-- in a way far beyond what she signed up for. It is almost more than she can handle-- especially when the stress of managing her all-too-eager-to-communicate-at-all-times family is already burdening her brain. But that's only the beginning. As things go from bad to worse, she begins to see the dark side of too much information, and to realize love-- and communication-- are far more complicated than she ever imagined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,697,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible