Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body

by Roxane Gay

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me: A Memoir by Sherman Alexie (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Successful authors remember difficult times.

ALL THE STARS.
Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a book resonate so much. I highlighted entire chapters, numerous chapters. I can't imagine being brave enough to put these thoughts and feelings down on paper, let alone publishing them, but I am so thankful Roxane Gay has the guts that I don't. ( )
  liannecollins | Apr 18, 2019 |
Prepare to be sad. There are funny and triumphant moments here, of course, but this book is primarily about vulnerability, heartbreak, and how they can mark a body for life. Roxane Gay was violated, traumatized, isolated and misunderstood, but also significantly heartbroken at that moment of childhood-stepping-into-womanhood when we probably wound most easily. In response, she embarked on a campaign to become too big to hurt. Gay reminds the reader that her story is unique, not intended as a universal narrative or a balm for those with similar experiences. As someone who has tried in many ways to be the opposite of big for most of my life, I can only say that I, too, found my reflection in Roxane. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
This is a very raw memoir that begins when the author was 12 years old and gang-raped which led her to over-eat and eventually become morbidly obese, her body becoming a boundary and her protection from the outside world. In the memoir, the author describes her experience as a large person in a culture where we constantly fat-shame everyone who is more than a size zero. For the reader, it was an interesting, thought-provoking read. ( )
  Jane-Phillips | Mar 28, 2019 |
I’m not sure I have the words to summarize my feelings after reading this. This memoir is tragic and raw and honest and uncomfortable. It makes you mourn for the would’ve should’ve could’ve futures destroyed in one moment of a little girl’s life. It makes you hopeful and empathetic and aware and self-reflective. Hunger is the story no one tells of a life no one can truly understand unless it’s yours, but Gay’s mastery of storytelling, her unwavering honesty, her self-loathing, raw nerves and candid emotions from years of otherness is eye opening.
This isn’t a light read, by any stretch, but it’s a level of honest reflection I’ve never experienced in a memoir. It’s truly the embodiment of the phrase “you don’t know what battles others are fighting,” to teach patience, kindness and tolerance.
5/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
In beautiful prose and startling honesty, Gay writes a memoir that touches upon her rape as a child and her ongoing issues with weight. Along the way, she also discusses familial and romantic relationships, her career as a writer, and cultural issues that she sees in the way the world views overweight people.

This was a very compelling read, although rather sadly poignant at times. For the audiobook version, Gay reads it herself, given an extra emotional resonance to her words. Her discussion of her challenges of moving about the world with an overweight body really helps readers develop more empathy and consideration towards others and the hurdles they may face.

I had already been interested in reading some of this author's other books, and now want to do so even more. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 11, 2019 |
for you, my sunshine, showing me what I no longer need and finding the way to my warm
Every body has a story and a history.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Bad Feminist: a searingly honest memoir of food, weight, self-image, and learning how to feed your hunger while taking care of yourself.

“I ate and ate and ate in the hopes that if I made myself big, my body would be safe. I buried the girl I was because she ran into all kinds of trouble. I tried to erase every memory of her, but she is still there, somewhere. . . . I was trapped in my body, one that I barely recognized or understood, but at least I was safe.”

In her phenomenally popular essays and long-running Tumblr blog, Roxane Gay has written with intimacy and sensitivity about food and body, using her own emotional and psychological struggles as a means of exploring our shared anxieties over pleasure, consumption, appearance, and health. As a woman who describes her own body as “wildly undisciplined,” Roxane understands the tension between desire and denial, between self-comfort and self-care. In Hunger, she explores her past—including the devastating act of violence that acted as a turning point in her young life—and brings readers along on her journey to understand and ultimately save herself.

With the bracing candor, vulnerability, and power that have made her one of the most admired writers of her generation, Roxane explores what it means to learn to take care of yourself: how to feed your hungers for delicious and satisfying food, a smaller and safer body, and a body that can love and be loved—in a time when the bigger you are, the smaller your world becomes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:06:19 -0500)

"Gay has written ... about food and bodies, using her own emotional and psychological struggles as a means of exploring our shared anxieties over pleasure, consumption, appearance, and health. As a woman who describes her own body as 'wildly undisciplined,' Roxane understands the tension between desire and denial, between self-comfort and self-care"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,089,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible