The Witch Next Door by Norman Bridwell

The Witch Next Door (1965)

by Norman Bridwell

Norman Bridwell, creator of the popular Clifford the Big Red Dog series, also wrote and illustrated a number of picture-books featuring a friendly neighborhood witch, beginning with this 1969 title. With simple text, The Witch Next Door unfolds the tale of two (unnamed) children, who come to be great friends with their new witchy neighbor, who may be a little bit odd - she paints her house black! - but is also kindhearted and considerate - she bakes cookies and makes soup for sick children. When some of the neighbors decide that they don't want a witch living on their street, her response sends them away unexpectedly content...

Although I appreciated its message of tolerance, and can see how it might be a favorite, for those who first encountered it in childhood, The Witch Next Door really didn't do much for me. I rather suspected that this would be the case, but after seeing that it had been added to a list of witchy picture-books that I created on another site, I wanted to give it a try, just in case. I have something of a thing for witchy picture-books, after all! Unfortunately, I didn't care for the cartoon-like illustrations, and the story itself didn't really impress me. Still, tastes vary, so young readers who enjoy witchy tales, and are fans of Norman Bridwell's style, might find exactly what they're looking for, with this one. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 29, 2013 |
A young boy and girl have a witch for a neighbor, but she never really does much harm. In fact, the two like having the witch around because she can do magic and shows them lots of neat things. One day, the boy and girl were having tea with the witch when a couple that lives nearby comes to the door and demands that the witch leave the neighborhood. The witch casts a spell on the couple, turning them into a prince and princess. The couple then, of course, forgets all about wanting the witch to leave, and everyone lives happily ever after. ( )
  esproull | Jan 28, 2012 |
I really liked this book. I liked how the witch was nice to her neighbors and taught them that good little boys and girls are more beautiful than princes and princesses. I would suggest reading this book around Halloween because it is about a witch. ( )
1 vote ceoliver | Sep 16, 2008 |
This story is about a little witch who lives across the street from a couple little kids. She shops with magic, and has a dragon for a pet. She doesn't cast any spells on anyone, until some angry neighbors come to tell her to move. She turns them into a prince and princess. This book teaches children to not judge on someone's appearance, but to get to know people first.
1 vote eakoepke | Sep 2, 2008 |
A very cute story about a witch who makes a great neighbor. ( )
  cmbohn | Oct 27, 2006 |
To Timothy Howard
There is a witch living on our street.

The story about the good witch who lives in a good neighborhood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

Meet the wonderful witch who lives next door. She's a great neighbor. Everything she does will surprise you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,450,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible