dismiss

All Chained Up

by Sophie Jordan

Series: Devil's Rock (1)

There are bad boys and then there are the men of Devil's Rock . . . Some men come with a built-in warning label. Knox Callaghan is one of them. Danger radiates from every lean, muscled inch of him, and his deep blue eyes seem to see right through to Briar Davis's most secret fantasies. But there's one major problem: Briar is a nurse volunteering at the local prison, and Knox is an inmate who should be off-limits in every way. Knox feels it too--a shocking animal magnetism that drives him to risk his own life to protect Briar's. Paroled at last, he tries to resist her. She's too innocent, too sweet, and she has no idea what Knox is capable of. But a single touch can lead to a kiss--and a taste . . . until the only crime is denying what feels so right . . . "When the prison doors are open, the real dragon will fly out."--Ho Chi Minh… (more)

Summary
Briar is a nurse that when asked to volunteer at the prison since they were short staffed, she never realized what she was getting herself into....or the man that was sexy and dangerous and scary as hell and she wanted him, heaven help her. Knox is a inmate who has been in prison for eight years, doing everything he can to be tough and a survivor and helping his brother stay on top of the ladder. What Knox doesn't expect is to find himself so protective over Briar, a woman who is timid and reserved but shows the depth of her strength in the way she stands up to him. Knox knows that Briar is way too good for him, too good and innocent but he is drawn to her in a way he can't explain and is willing to fight for her. Knox and Briar will learn that love has no bounds, and it leaps up on you when you least expect it to...but will they be able to find a happy ever after despite how different they are from each other.....
The Hero
Knox did what he had to when his cousin was attacked and both he and his younger brother found themselves in prison. Knox only regrets the pain that he caused his family from his actions and for putting his brother North in the system. But Knox has learned not to dwell on the past but to focus on the future and to stay alive. Staying alive in prison is not easy by any means, and with his brother's help they have learned to be tough as steel and not let anything or anyone put a kink in their armor. Now Knox was quite the hero and not what I expected but was quite thrilling at times.

He wasn’t that good or honorable. He wasn’t that strong. If she wanted to play with a wolf, then that’s what she would get.

His character is full of mystery in many ways, he is very alpha but not with a woman he loves. I really liked how protective he was of Briar but also didn't override her.
The Heroine
Briar (weird name but I like that its unique and different) never imagined that she would end up volunteering at a prison as a nurse. Not exactly the kind of atmosphere she would prefer to find herself in. In fact, Briar regrets it the moment she arrives...until she meets inmate Knox. The type of man she has no idea how to deal with, and is out of her league. But Briar is a woman that doesn't back down from a challenge no matter how intimidating that challenge may be. What I really liked about Briar is though she seems a bit timid in the beginning, she definitely has hidden depths. And I really liked seeing how strong and courageous her character turns out to be.
Plot and Story Line
I have no idea why I haven't picked this series up because right now I feel like *banging my head against the wall*. It was quite idiotic to delay reading this book, and I think the biggest reason was the mixed reviews I found on these books. But honestly I LOVED this one ladies and gents....just LOVED it so dang much. I have just realized how talented Sophie Jordan is and she has come out with a bang with this new genre and series of books. Now Jordan has always been a personal favorite of mine, for years I have respected and fallen in love with her books. But All Chained Up was different and thrilling and unique and had a blast with it!!! Now a romance that develops in prison.....never read a book like this one before and I soaked it all up like a sponge. Honestly I couldn't get enough of it. I really liked seeing these two together and the way their relationship builds. At first they treat it like a fling, but their connection to each other has always run deeper than just sex since they first met. I enjoyed the way they work through some hurdles in their relationship and what Knox does for Briar at the end was priceless and I love the way they are willing to sacrifice for each other.

" I lose you." His voice choked up a little then. "I would never heal from that. I can't lose you, Briar."

They both mistakes and it just made the story seem so much more realistic and our characters human and easy to relate with. And we got a bit of a teaser for book 2, and honestly I can't wait for Noah's book.
The Cover
Sexy and HOT!!!! Love that they put in the dragon tattoo.
Overall View
All Chained Up is a sexy and fired up romance that will curl your toes and keep your hungering for more!!! A WINNER OF A READ! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
****Full Review****

3.5 stars

Briar Davis grew up with a violent father, so when her boss asks for volunteers to help him at Devil's Rock, a prison, her hand doesn't immediately shoot up. When no one else volunteers, though, she thinks about the promotion she wants and how she doesn't want to be afraid anymore and suddenly she's passing through maximum security gates. Briar’s first day she meets Knox Callaghan, ripped, sexy, intense, and a convict. Knox has been in Devil's Rock for eight years serving out a murder sentence, his brother and he paid a visit to their cousin's rapist that ended badly for everyone. One look into Nurse Davis' eyes and he finds himself wanting things he knows a convict like him will never have. Even the eight years and bars, however, can't fully change the man and Knox saves Briar from sharing his cousin's fate. Suddenly, Knox and Briar have an opportunity they never thought possible, if only both are strong enough to take it.

The first in a new series, Ms. Jordan starts off with a bang. The beginning tension between Briar and Knox with the forbidden aspect, Briar's physical fear, and Knox's emotional brick wall was fantastic, I flew through the pages. They only have a couple meetings in the beginning but those moments pack quite the punch. Their interactions are drawn out but in a needful way, we see Briar's trepidation around Knox, how his brick wall cracks around her, and how they both can't help poking and reaching out to one another because of the draw they feel. The first 40% reminded me of Michael and Sara (Knox is a little darker than Michael) from the tv show Prison Break and I can see fans of the show really enjoying this part.

After Knox rescues Briar from some inmates, his second parole hearing is moved up and he is released, switching the gears of the story. Now we have Briar and Knox free to act on the feelings they had to try and suppress in the prison. The sexual chemistry that was apparent in the beginning carries over to this second part but almost to the determent of the overall story. We get a lot of sexual situations, they are done really well, drawn out with words that evoke feelings and steam but it became our couple’s whole relationship. Knox and Briar don't so much grow together, as they bang together. There are glimpses of emotional strife with Knox not feeling he is good enough for Briar and dealing with society's perceptions of ex-convicts and Briar convincing herself and her sister that she is not ending up like her mother and self-destructing with a violent man. Heavy topics that if flushed out better definitely could have added a deeper level to their relationship and the story.

Secondary characters flittered in and around the story with Knox's brother North having to survive in prison without him, Briar's sister providing a minor villain role, Briar's neighborhood gal pal that could be future heroine bait, Knox's aunt and uncle humanizing him more, and Reid. Reid ran a powerful gang in prison that Knox and his brother were welcomed into and protected them. Towards the end of the story and interjected in a somewhat awkward way, we get a lead in to Reid's future story as he escapes, makes his way back home, and finds his old gang has kidnapped the President of the United State's daughter. I think this would have worked better as an epilogue, finishing out Knox and Briar's story first, but either way, I can't wait to read it.

Briar's self-imposed sheltered personality and life and Knox's anger, determination not to mess up his life again, and stoicism, made them intriguing characters to read about while their sexual chemistry made it fun and hot. Their sexual relationship was written in a way that would at times remind me of Victoria Dahl and Cara McKenna's writing, which I greatly enjoyed. While at times the emotional aspect peeked through the sexual angst, the second half was missing it a lot. As an introduction to the Devil's Rock series though, All Chained Up has me excited for future characters and books.
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |

All Chained Up is my first #COYER read for the winter! Go me! I love the forbidden romance twist of a convict and a prison employee. Its fascinating to me for some reason (I won't explore that too much because I'm not sure I want to know why...) Knox is in prison for murder. He killed someone and he took responsibility for it, so its not like a "Oh I'm an innocent, good guy in prison". Briar is a nurse who agrees to go into the hospital with her boss to help provide medical services to the inmates. She meets Knox on her first day. Terrified of the prison in general, she is intimidated by Knox. But, he is a hottie.

Knox gets paroled and runs into Briar in the real world. Both of them have been thinking about the other and Briar invites him back to her place for sex. Their relationship is pretty much him, showing up late a night for sex, then leaving, sometimes after saying something mean to push her away. That was pretty much the entire story. Knox couldn't stay away, then got all 'woe is me' and says something hurtful, and the cycle begins again. It was irritating because Knox's reasons were dumb.

I was pleased with how the story ended though. It was certainly a huge character growth moment for Knox. I was happy to see it and its well written. However, I wish it didn't take so long to get there.

All Chained Up was a good start to the series. I will continue reading because I want to know what will happen to Reid and North! Overall, it was a good book, but nothing amazing.

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: no

• Trope: forbidden romance, ex con

• Triggers: 2 inmates attempt to rape Briar. It doesn't happen, but it is close and could be a trigger for some readers

• Series/Standalone: stand alone

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes with an epilogue

A Pound of Flesh by Sophie Jackson, Ride Rough by Laura Kaye, Ruthless by Gillian Archer...then you will probably like All Chained Up!

All Chained Up

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
All Chained up is the first book in the Devil's Rock series. I enjoyed the story of Knox Callahan and Briar Davis. Briar is a nurse who has been asked to work one day a week on a temporary basis at Devil's Rock prison helping heal sick and injured inmates. As fearful as she is, Briar is also intrigued by one of her first cases, Knox Callahan. On one of her days at the prison, a couple of inmates take over the health center. Hearing of their plans, Knox gets into a fight with his brother in order to get placed in the health center. He saves Briar's life along with the others in the health center, and is promptly paroled for his actions.
It isn't long before he and Briar meet outside the prison and act on their attraction. Briar questions her own feelings and Knox doesn't believe he is good enough for Briar. Will they find a way to bridge their fears and have a life together?
This was a light but enjoyable story. The character development was minimal but adequate for this type of book, and the plot unrealistic, but believable enough to be entertaining. Overall a good quick read for a Saturday night. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
3.5 Stars | Hot Steam

As a long-time fan of Sophie Jordan’s sensational romances, I couldn’t wait to try the oh-so-tempting first novel in her upcoming Devil’s Rock series, ALL CHAINED UP. Though not as forbidden or illicit as I’d initially expected, but just as entertaining and provocative as I’d hoped it’d be, I devoured this high-octane sizzler of a story over two days, always eager to get back to it whenever life would pull me away.

Darker, dirtier and exponentially sexier than anything Jordan has written previously, Briar and Knox’s edgy, intense, emotional and deliciously steamy affair delivers a white-hot, criminal-themed contemporary that thrills without being overly disturbing, gory or gratuitously violent. While the beginning of ALL CHAINED UP is purposefully tense, turbulent and unsettling, including various fights between inmates, moderate police brutality and a scene of near sexual assault, the majority of the novel is more contemporary than criminal, taking place after Knox’s release from prison. On the outside, this blazing couple’s enthralling tale swiftly shifts from nail-biting action to toe-curling passion so wonderfully naughty, rough, raw and appealingly reminiscent of the fabulously filthy sort of lawbreaker lovemaking you might have seen and salivated over on popular shows like Sons of Anarchy or Banshee.

And, while wicked, pent-up, ex-con-epically-hot sex is prevalent in ALL CHAINED UP, romance is central and abundant too. I enjoyed reading Briar and Knox’s fragile and uncertain love grow into something fierce, undeniable and life affirming. Their bond is resilient, powerful and forever, and I was elated when they finally got it right—and then GOT IT ON, AGAIN!

I had so much heated fun reading ALL CHAINED UP and can hardly wait until Reid and Grace’s story, HELL BREAKS LOOSE releases this June! That auspicious title alone has got my pulse racing with anticipation!

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheLustyLiterate | Jan 14, 2016 |

Sophie Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fox, ChristianReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Stacey Kade,
who takes my calls and helps make everything click into place . . .
It looked every bit as intimidating as she thought it would.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,950,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible