My Losing Season by Pat Conroy

My Losing Season

by Pat Conroy

I love Conroy but I just couldn't get into this one right now. I'll try it again some other time.

Took me almost 8 years to finish this one. I love Conroy but am not a basketball fan. Listening to the audiobook helped, though. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Mar 25, 2018 |
The one thing that every human being has in common is that we all have failed at something at one point in our lives. Pat Conroy is no different. My Losing Season is a compelling memoir about Pat Conroy's senior year as an undersized point guard playing NCAA Division Basketball at the Citadel, a military college in the South. Throughout the 402 pages, Conroy's narrative is incredibly compelling, as he reflects on the lessons he learned being as he and his team suffered loss after loss and his hopes of a glorious senior year went up in flames. Conroy's writing style is reflective and heart-wrenching, and I was sad to find myself turning the last page, only because I had grown fond of Conroy's memories and the way he artfully communicated them to the reader. My Losing Season is a great book not only for basketball fans, but also for anyone who enjoys inspiring stories of defeat, perseverance, and overcoming adversity.

Warning: If this book were a movie, it would be rated R because of the language. ( )
  JoeBar | Feb 28, 2017 |
There are few books that affect me when they are over. Ones that make me sad and depressed because I will no longer be with the characters. Ones that can break my heart so much that when I turn the last page, I end up crying or even sobbing because I have grown to love the characters and/or I wish the book wasn’t done.

This is one of those books. My Losing Season is about Pat’s last year as point guard and captain of The 1966-67 Citadel Bulldogs and about his childhood with a strict and abusive father which defined him as a man.

When I say “Pat Conroy” in my head or out loud, I hear the voice of Jay O. Sanders who read the book. Jay has a slightly southern accent that fits perfectly with the book. While listening, I wondered how many times Jay read the book to know when to put feeling and passion into the dialog because he does a fantastic job.

Now granted, some people don’t like sports or some people can take it or leave it. I work in sports and I love sports. I’m not obsessed, but I enjoy a good game of basketball where the players play their hearts out and leave all of it on the court. During the Bulldogs’ losing season, you felt the passion and love of the game; you felt just how hard they fought. I found myself cheering for them even though the games were played back in 1966 and 1967. I cried after Pat had the best game of his life and his Dad still called him a loser and shoved him up against a wall.

I cried and laughed while driving to and from work. I sat in my car in the parking garage before work as I finished listening to the book, surprised by the afterward by the author himself (I should have read the cover closer).

His short speech left me sobbing in the car, tears streaming down my face as I walked into work and got on the elevator.

I’m glad I decided to take a chance on this book. I’m glad I listened to it during March Madness as the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship roared into town and I will listen to it every March Madness as Pat reminds me each time that you have to believe in yourself. Not everyone will be affected by Pat’s story as I was, but that’s okay. I’m just glad I got to experience the 1966-67 Citadel basketball team’s losing season and the young man of Pat Conroy. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Reminds me of my high school season. Great read for anyone who has played a sport. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Conroy's true-life story of the hard life he led both at home and at the Citadel. Basketball is the thread that runs through the book, but it is far more than a sports story. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 5, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to my teammates on the 1966-67 Citadel basketball team. It was an honor to take to the court with you guys. Dan Mohr Jim Halpin John DeBrosse Doug Bridges Dave Bornhorst Robert Cauthen Bill Zycinsky Alan Kroboth Tee Hooper Gregory Connor Brian Kennedy And their lovely wives and children who made me welcome in their homes: Maria, Alexis and Michael Bornhorst; Sandra, Rob, Macon, and Buffy Cauthen; Eileen, James, and Michael Halpin; Cynthia, Micah, and Erin Kennedy; Tina, Doug, and Guy Bridges; Barbara, Gregory, Jeffrey and Jeremy Connor; Cindy, Matthew, and Elizabeth Mohr; Pam, J.J., Scott, and Katie DeBrosse; Sherry, Travis, and Amy Hooper; Patty and George Kroboth. And to my wife, Cassandra King, the light of my life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553381903, Paperback)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Pat Conroy, one of America’s premier novelists, has penned a deeply affecting coming-of-age memoir about family, love, loss, basketball—and life itself. During one unforgettable season as a Citadel cadet, Conroy becomes part of a basketball team that is ultimately destined to fail. And yet for a military kid who grew up on the move, the Bulldogs provide a sanctuary from the cold, abrasive father who dominates his life—and a crucible for becoming his own man.

With all the drama and incandescence of his bestselling fiction, Conroy re-creates his pivotal senior year as captain of the Citadel Bulldogs. He chronicles the highs and lows of that fateful 1966–67 season, his tough disciplinarian coach, the joys of winning, and the hard-won lessons of losing. Most of all, he recounts how a group of boys came together as a team, playing a sport that would become a metaphor for a man whose spirit could never be defeated.

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

The author reflects on his days at a South Carolina military college. He recalls his love of basketball and its value to him as a means of self-expression, and shares experiences that shed new light on his novel "The Great Santini."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,823,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible