Under the Harrow by Flynn Berry

Under the Harrow (2016)

by Flynn Berry

"When Nora takes the train from London to visit her sister in the countryside, she expects to find her waiting at the station, or at home cooking dinner. But when she walks into Rachel's familiar house, what she finds is entirely different: her sister has been the victim of a brutal murder. Stunned and adrift, Nora finds she can't return to her former life. An unsolved assault in the past has shaken her faith in the police, and she can't trust them to find her sister's killer. Haunted by the murder and the secrets that surround it, Nora is under the harrow: distressed and in danger. As Nora's fear turns to obsession, she becomes as unrecognizable as the sister her investigation uncovers"--… (more)
Recently added bykarenmarie, pjpfodl, bryrose, chauveaux, Mort1962, eaking68, private library, tomasitoreads, mdbenderjr

To Read (356)

I loved this book much more than Berry’s A Double Life. So well done, so much suspense and uncertainty. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
Unfortunately, I don't have a sister, and only by the acquaintances with other people's sisters, I know how complicated these relationships are. How it is that together with love, there is also competition and anger and even hatred. You can say - and probably be right - that family relationship is always composed of different emotions. There are no family members-or another intimate relatives-to feel an arc of emotions consisting of deep love, anger, and hatred.

The story begins as a thriller - one sister goes to visit the other and discovers her body. The Obsession begins while she stays there and conducts her investigations to reach the truth. From here starts the plot to describe the relations between the sisters; of family relations, relations with men and women. The mystery belongs to the novel, not to the story of tension, but the solution to the puzzle belongs to the thriller.

The book well builds and balanced. I thought it was a thriller&novel above the average I had read recently, and those who liked these kinds of reads would enjoy it. ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 11, 2019 |
This short audiobook was a pretty good murder mystery. This is not a genre I often enjoy, but I liked the pace and writing in this one. I also liked that the answer to the mystery wasn’t something convoluted and unlikely and yet still had me guessing until the end. Also, excellent narration on the audiobook ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
This is a murder mystery that, at times, was a slow read. I didn't care for the protagonist, Nora, although I felt compassion for her. She was dealing with finding her sister, Rachel, brutally murdered & her sister's beloved dog was killed as well. Nora is a suspect & must deal with trying to prove her innocence. She decides to find the murderer herself since she does not have faith in the police due to an unresolved assault in the past. There was a lot of repetition & time lines were all over the place which made it hard to follow & confusing for me. I did not like the ending which seemed like the author rushed it & just wanted to get it done. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Oct 28, 2018 |
When I first started reading this novel, I was intrigued by the writing style. It seemed a bit dark and poetic, with many intricate details added in here and there. I found it charming at first. But it soon got old. After a certain point, I realized that the writing style did nothing to enhance the plot and the little details were a bit pointless. As for Nora, our protagonist, I strongly disliked her. She had no real personality and was severely underdeveloped and lacked a voice. I couldn't care less about her and her memories of the past or her obsession. She had no real reason for going about things the way that she did, and while at first I wanted to figure it out, by the time I got to the middle of the story, all I really wanted was for the story to end. The plot moves so slowly that it put me to sleep; literally nothing happens. And the ending, while not what I expected, was not at all a good twist. Just because you explain why someone is the killer doesn't mean it works! Overall, this is one of the most disappointing books I have ever read and I would not recommend this to anyone interested in thrillers or mysteries. At least it was short! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Come, what do we gain by evasions? We are under the harrow and can't escape. - C.S. Lewis , A Grief Observed.
To J.A.B.
A woman is missing in the East Riding.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,754,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible