Killfile: A Novel by Christopher Farnsworth

Killfile: A Novel

by Christopher Farnsworth

Would make an amazing movie.... prepping for the 2nd in the series! ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Mind reading is impossible: just a clever trick like ventriloquism or levitation. But what if you could really read minds – and not only read them, but manipulate them too?

John Smith is an actual mind reader, highly paid for his services by the few in the know. When a billionaire software designer asks him to take back an algorithm stolen by another designer, and scrub every trace of it from the thief’s brain, John agrees.

He soon finds out nothing is ever as simple as it seems and he has made himself an implacable enemy. No suspension of disbelief is needed because Kill File is completely believable, and very enjoyable. ( )
  adpaton | Aug 10, 2017 |
There are times that I'm glad people can't read my mind: I'd hate to have someone else humming The Proclaimers.

John Smith is a specialist who helps wealthy clients with tricky problems. He has a talent for hostage negotiations, corporate espionage, and gleaning people's deepest secrets thanks to his ability to read minds. Who'd have thought that reading people's minds would turn his latest job into a death sentence.

Killfile is the first novel I've read from Christopher Farnsworth since his excellent Nathaniel Cade series went on hiatus four years ago. I read the Nathaniel Cade series back to back and loved every second of those supernatural thrillers. Killfile was similarly enjoyable with the paranormal thriller element pitched nicely into the realms of corporate espionage and CIA interrogation programs.

Also, as a scientific skeptic (i.e. scientist who hears all the kooky claims and demands evidence) it is always fun to read the conspiracy claims in a more rational format. Dusting off MKUltra and utilising it as a plot point in fiction rather than an outlandish conspiracy tickles me in all the right ways.

Chris' novels continue to be highly enjoyable reads. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I did enjoy this book. It was fast paced and kind of techno-thriller. If this is a genre category. If not, then it should be.

John and his talent were impressive. He is not a poser but the real deal. The way that he can not only read thoughts but manipulative people's minds was amazing. It is no wonder that Everett wanted to hire John for his services. I do want to comment by saying that I am glad that there was not a strong romantic connection between John and Kelsey. It would have been too predictable and kind of down graded the book overall. This is the type of story that I feel like it works best if the author lets the characters stand on their own followed with a good storyline. Mr. Farnsworth did that with this book. I look forward to trying out more work by this author. ( )
  Cherylk | Jan 12, 2017 |
I wasn't really engaged by this book until the final 25%. The first person narration by the smug, obnoxious protagonist John Smith was a real turnoff. There was too much backstory for me about Smith's mind reading talent, his superiority over lesser humans and his general awesomeness. I'm also not crazy about having female characters added to books just to lend comfort to the male characters. I enjoyed the author's books about the President's vampire, but his standalone books have been a disappointment. This wasn't a terrible book, but it wasn't very distinctive either. The narration of the audiobook by Bronson Pinchot was fine. ( )
  fhudnell | Oct 11, 2016 |

"John Smith possesses a special gift that seems more like a curse: he can access other people's thoughts. He hears the songs stuck in their heads, knows their most private traumas and fears, and relives the painful memories they can't let go of. The CIA honed his skills until he was one of their most powerful operatives, but John fled the Agency and now works as a private consultant, trying to keep the dark potentials of his gift in check--and himself out of trouble. Unfortunately, John is unexpectedly plunged into dangerous waters when his latest client, billionaire software genius Everett Sloan, hires him to investigate a former employee"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,629,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible