A Great Reckoning

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (12)

" When an intricate old map is found stuffed into the walls of the bistro in Three Pines, it at first seems no more than a curiosity. But the closer the villagers look, the stranger it becomes. Given to Armand Gamache as a gift the first day of his new job, the map eventually leads him to shattering secrets. To an old friend and older adversary. It leads the former Chief of Homicide for the Sûreté du Québec to places even he is afraid to go. But must. And there he finds four young cadets in the Sûreté academy, and a dead professor. And, with the body, a copy of the old, odd map. Everywhere Gamache turns, he sees Amelia Choquet, one of the cadets. Tattooed and pierced. Guarded and angry. Amelia is more likely to be found on the other side of a police line-up. And yet she is in the academy. A protégée of the murdered professor. The focus of the investigation soon turns to Gamache himself and his mysterious relationship with Amelia, and his possible involvement in the crime. The frantic search for answers takes the investigators back to Three Pines and a stained glass window with its own horrific secrets. For both Amelia Choquet and Armand Gamache, the time has come for a great reckoning. #1 New York Times bestselling author Louise Penny pulls back the layers to reveal a brilliant and emotionally powerful truth in her latest spellbinding novel. "--… (more)
Recently added bySheriDacon, Nicole_13, private library, KatyBee, booksforbrunch, MAR67, bosella, susannadeau

English (96)  French (1)  All languages (97)
Louise, I really don't know how you do it. And I only have one request. Please never stop.

Armand is one of my favorite, most-beloved fictional characters in any medium. He is kind, accepts his faults and always tries to do the morally right thing.

I'm processing for now.... Penny constantly blows me away. How is it possible to weave so many intricate and intelligent plots into a beautiful story? Every time?

Love to you, Louise ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Louise Penny's ability to weave the police force and academy with the inhabitants of Three Pines and history of Canada is fascinating. Armand continues to challenge himself by taking on the corrupt establishment despite the pain and family trauma.
  witchyrichy | Apr 13, 2021 |
I had only read the first book in this series before picking this one up as it was our book club pick. I recognized many of the town's characters from Still Life but I think this (#12 in the series) could easily be read as a stand-alone. Louise Penny has a reputation for writing well-thought out award-winning mysteries, and this one is another example of clever plot, quirky characters, sinister villains with several potential murderers, innocence vs. evil, friendships and families. At the beginning I wasn't sure I really liked this novel, but found myself frequently picking it up to read "just one more chapter." What more encouragement do you need? This was a satisfying and ultimately emotionally powerful novel. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Mar 17, 2021 |
Chief of Homicide, Armand Gamache, must venture into a strange a unknown when a stranger comes to town, Three Pines, and an old intricate map is found.
  SABC | Mar 1, 2021 |
I have tried to read a Louise Penny for so long now. I enjoyed this but I'm not sure I am running out to read more. She is wonderful at setting a stage and making you feel as if you are right there but I need a little more excitement in my mysteries. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
This complex novel deals with universal themes of compassion, weakness in the face of temptation, forgiveness, and the danger of falling into despair and cynicism over apparently insurmountable evils.

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bathurst, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
BesterhuCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goody, MargoPackage designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiProducer & direcctorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It strikes a man more dead than a great reckoning in a little room.

--William Shakespeare
For Michael
Armand Gamache sat in the little room and closed the dossier with care, squeezing it shut, trapping the words inside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,949,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible