A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny

Enjoyed the timing, flow, characters, even Ruth, and of course Armand Gamache, and his wife Reine. Any plot with an historic document, map, book, photo, article, or journal can't be bad. And A Great Reckoning is very good. Red herrings, word-play, sub-plots, and the residents of the small Three Pines community come together like a delicious soup.

Seems like I found an excellent writer to follow. ( )
  Bookish59 | Oct 13, 2017 |
This is book 12 of the series, I loved the characters in the Gamache series and this one is no exception. Lovely writing. ( )
  Baochuan | Oct 13, 2017 |
I think this is my favorite Gamache book yet! Didn't want this one to end. ( )
  carolfoisset | Sep 3, 2017 |
Another fantastic Inspector Gamache mystery. Wow – I hope this series never ends. ( )
  jmoncton | Sep 2, 2017 |
Louise Penny shows us the brilliance of the light while showing us the darkness of the foulest heart. She show us the softest and deepest love while uncovering the most abhorrent evil. That is why she is such a masterful writer and this is perhaps one of her finest books.

As a brief aside, her acknowledgments at the end of the book relating to her husband's dementia was the most poignant writing of all. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
This complex novel deals with universal themes of compassion, weakness in the face of temptation, forgiveness, and the danger of falling into despair and cynicism over apparently insurmountable evils.

It strikes a man more dead than a great reckoning in a little room.

--William Shakespeare
For Michael
Armand Gamache sat in the little room and closed the dossier with care, squeezing it shut, trapping the words inside.

Former Chief Inspector Gamache has been hunting killers his entire career and as the new commander of the Sûreté Academy, he is given the chance to combat the corruption and brutality that has been rife throughout the force. But when a former colleague and professor of the Academy is found murdered, with a mysterious map of Three Pines in his possession, Gamache has an even tougher task ahead of him.

When suspicion turns to Gamache himself, and his possible involvement in the crime, the search for answers takes the investigation to the village of Three Pines, where a series of shattering secrets is poised to be revealed...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,488,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible