Bruenor, a dwarf, Drizzt, a dark elf, and Wulfgar, a barbarian warrior, try to unite the people of Ten-Towns to face the dangerous magic of the crystal shard.

Fun book. Not perfect. Read this series years and years ago. I was looking for a simple fun series I could read mostly before bed and on he weekends. This fits the bill.

If you're going to pick up the Drizzt Do'Urden books I'd recommend starting here rather than the Dark Elf trilogy. These come later chronologically, but they were written first. I think the story flows better when you start here.

Quick reads. Pretty much straight down the middle "sword and wizard" fantasy stuff here. What raises these above the crowd is the character Drizzt Do'Urden. He's got a little more depth than you're typical fantasy character, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him well rounded. But you'll like him.

He's batman (not the recent physcologicly tortued one, the *WHAM* *POW* one).

He's spiderman. Only he doesn't like spiders much.

He's John Reeese (from Person of Interest. You should watch that show. ya - I'm talking to you. Watch it. Stick it out through the first few episodes, it pays off).

He's going to make things work. He's got a plan, and when he doesn't have a plan he makes it up as he goes and it's going to turn out okay.

He's got a good heart and always tries to do the right thing. But sometimes when the bad guys hurt someone good he goes into a rage and kicks butt on a large scale.

Don't expect a character that would fit into The Game of Thrones. Expect a character that you could easily throw into a comic book.

And sometimes that's okay.

WinterEgress | Dec 2, 2022 |
For an rpg in an established setting, it is outstanding, the best of the breed. Remove TSR and the Forgotten Realms from the equation and it is still a damn good series. Bob Salvatore got his start in the rpg industry, but he is good. Very readable. ( )
  LeslieHolm | May 19, 2022 |
My first introduction to Drizzt and his companions. I'm looking forward to reading more about them. This book was slightly formulaic though so I'm hoping that these tales get better. ( )
  jean-duteau | Oct 31, 2021 |
A nice setup for the rest of the series, and a decent fantasy romp. It's not exactly deep but sometimes you just want to float on your lido with a big sword and this is perfect for that. ( )
  ashelocke | Jun 26, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this. It's a pretty basic fantasy story with orcs and goblins and barbarians and wizards, and it also happens to be the story that introduced a couple of Dungeons & Dragons characters I had heard about in my recent dabbling in that game. Battle scenes are pretty boring and skimmable, but the honor among both friends and enemies, the loyalty, the good humor, and memorable character sketches and exploits in general made this a pleasure for me. I'll read the follow-ups (and probably the prequels) with gusto. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

R. A. Salvatoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bevine, VictorNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Diane and Bryan, Geno, and Caitlin for their support and patience through this experience. And to my parents, Geno and Irene, for believing in me even when I didn't.
The demon sat back on the seat it had carved in the stem of the giant mushroom.
"Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron" or, "May the fleas of a thousand reindeer nest in your genitals"

Akar Kessel, a weak-willed apprentice mage sets in motion events leading to the rediscovery of the magical device, the crystal shard. But is it merely an inanimate device . . . or is it capable of directing the defeat of Ten-Towns?

Or have the barbarians already arranged for that themselves? Their brutal attack on the villages of Ten-Towns seals their fate, and that of the young barbarian Wulfgar. Left for dead, Wulfgar is rescued by the dwarf, Bruenor, in exchange for five years of service . . . and friendship. With the help of the dark elf, Drizzt, Bruenor reshapes Wulfgar into a warrior with both brawn and brains.

But is Wulfgar strong enough to reunite the barbarian tribes? Can an unorthodox dwarf and renegade dark elf persuade the people of Ten-Towns to put aside their petty differences in time to stave off the forces of the crystal shard?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,266,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible