War of the Twins (1991)

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Tracy Hickman

Other authors: Michael Williams (Poetry)

Series: Dragonlance: Legends (2), Dragonlance - chronological {shared universe} ((Legends 2) 356 AC)

One hundred years have passed since the fiery Cataclysm that changed the face of Krynn forever. For one hundred years, the people of Krynn have struggled to survive. But for some, those one hundred years have passed in the blink of an eye. Catapulted forward in time by Raistlin's powerful magic, Caramon and Crysania find themselves aiding the mage's unholy quest to master the Queen of Darkness. To his dismay, Raistlin discovers along the way that the annals of Time are not so easily bent to his will. Neither are the longings of his heart.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, Lacedmilk, Duffy24, ggoldby, kopeniano, VMBG, KevinO123, reneeg, j4ckstraw, jseger9000

English (23)  Catalan (1)  All languages (24)
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: War of the Twins

Narrowly escaping the cataclysm, Raistlin, Caramon and Crysania find themselves one hundred years in the future. Faith in the old Gods has declined and any who dare to openly worship Paladine may just find themselves labeled a witch. With no other choice, Crysania and Caramon must aid Raistlin in his quest to conquer the Dark Queen. But history is not so easily swayed, and Raistlin soon finds he is walking in the exact footsteps of Fistandantilus.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are masters at creating complex characters. As the story progresses Raistlin, Caramon and Crysania will all undergo tests of faith. They will be pulled to the edge of what they can handle, fighting against the despair and darkness that lurks in each of them. The road is never easy, and some will find themselves thinking and doing things they never imagined.

War of the Twins also explores the complexities of love. Be it the love of a sibling, a friend, or a more intimate relationship. Most novels paint love as an emotion that is easily identified and fought for, even if there are some pitfalls along the way. However, War of the Twins shows how love can be buried within actions and dragged to the surface due to certain situations. It shows all the messy angles of love, and how other emotions and situations can weave together to paint an illusion of love that is confusing to the characters.

And true to style, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman weave in the lore of Krynn throughout the story. As the characters relive history, readers will experience firsthand the actions that lead up to pivotal points in Krynn’s past.

Action, adventure, magic, expert worldbuilding, and extraordinary characters, make War of the Twins a must read for high fantasy fans. ( )
  Letora | Jun 7, 2021 |
I was never a reader of epic fantasy... and then I discovered the Dragonlance books and never looked back. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
You know, for a novel with an evil time-traveling master magician so full of himself that he wants to kill a god to become a god, a twin brother who alternately wants to kill him and protect him, and being dumped in a strange time to just "happen" to lead a huge army to defeat a bunch of dwarves...

This book's best feature is its LOVE STORY.

Huh!!?

Look. It's true. I'm totally on board with the whole evil machinations of Raistlin, how he manipulates everyone and takes on the title of another evil magician in the past and is forced to relive a seemingly unbreakable time-loop. The war stuff is certainly a lot more fun than the previous book's gladiator schtick. Even the brotherly love and the nasty betrayal is pretty awesome.

But what really makes the book is the epic romance. A magician of absolute evil and a cleric of absolute good, an undeniable romance for the ages. Hell, even his most bald-face lies have a germ of truth to them and while he's trying to turn her away from him, she just wants to trust him more. And more. It's a weird thing, this honesty. She KNOWS what he is, and yet she still wants to help him. It doesn't hurt that he wants to kill the Goddess of Darkness and that's kind of her calling. But still. He's DOING it to REPLACE the grand evil. :)

LoL, I'm all getting into a fanboy mode here. These two are a trip. I totally get why these books are classics. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
A cliff-hanger ending is a sure way to make me pick up the next book in a series, if only to glance at the opening chapters and see what happens. The Cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins.

Caramon, Crysania and Raistlin emerge in the Tower of High Sorcery in Palanthas but clearly at a time before its re-opening. Tasslehoff, meanwhile, has a very interesting new experience in a new place.

The set-up to this novel was a good one, the brothers and Crysania wind up marching with an army, trapped in Fistandantilus' footsteps, encouraging a civil war among the dwarves in order to get closer to a powerful artifact that will further Raistlin's dark plans. This trilogy spawned a few more prequel novels, but not as many as the 'Chronicles'.

The ultimate issue I had was that, because this was a reread, I knew what was happening and the action and the characters our primaries meet along the way were not enough of a distraction for me. There wasn't enough here to keep my interest this time around. We know how this is going to end and we know we're going to get another cliff-hanger. This is a good fantasy trilogy, but a reader is better off picking up one of the omnibus editions. That are, er, out of print....

Dragonlance Legends

Next: 'Test of the Twins'

Previous: 'Time of the Twins' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Aug 1, 2019 |
The second book in this series picks up right where the previous one left off - sort of, as there are time travel aspects here that sometime get confusing. This is more about the history of the world of Krynn and what went on before the original trilogy. Great characters and good plot keeps this one going through the whole book. ( )
  Karlstar | Jun 9, 2018 |

Cossato, Gian PaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandrelli, SandroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valusek, ValerieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
you who are sharing our journeys through Krynn.
Thank you, reader, for walking this path with us.
—Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
The dark waters of time swirled about the archmage's black robes, carrying him and those with him forward through the years.
Book 1 - The River Flows On. . . .
A hoarse, bellowing yell of fear and horror shattered Crysania's sleep.
Book 1 - Chapter 1
The German version of War of the Twins is in two volumes: Der Krieg der Brüder and Die Königin der Finsternis. Please do not combine these.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,889,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible