Girl in Pieces

by Kathleen Glasgow

As she struggles to recover and survive, seventeen-year-old homeless Charlotte "Charlie" Davis cuts herself to dull the pain of abandonment and abuse.

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
This book was fantastic, I love this novel with all of the PIECES of my heart, after it shattered reading this book, don't take that the wrong way, this book was said, yes, but one of the best books I've ever read in my life so far. Girl In Pieces is about a teenage girls journey through healing and growing, after a rough past, she tries her very best to live the life she's making for herself to the fullest. This book is a huge tear jerk, but a story that will stick with you forever, and may just teach the most important lesson in your life... to confront the uncomfortable realities of life while simultaneously reminding us of the human spirit's strength to rebuild from the ruins. ( )
  Bookish_Bella | Dec 3, 2023 |
This book was traumatic and healing all at once. Major trigger warnings, but social issue books are my absolute favorite sub genre. The struggles that Charlie went through were so relatable and brought back a lot of memories I had pushed away. It was difficult to read at times but ultimately gave me hope. The best book I've read in a while. ( )
  snarreet | Sep 9, 2023 |
Intense read. Had to stop a few times. What that girl did to her towards the end of the book shook me. ( )
  ktbspa | Feb 21, 2023 |
depressing ( )
1 vote cjordan916 | Jan 20, 2022 |
This is the story of a 17-year-old girl who self-harms; she cuts her arms and legs. As the story opens, she is in a treatment centre, and it follows her release as she tries to make a life for herself. Charlie Davis was a victim of physical abuse by her mother, sexual assault and homelessness. Her father committed suicide and her best/only friend has become brain-damaged through self-harm. She makes some good choices when she strikes out on her own, but even more bad ones, especially getting involved in a relationship with her co-worker Riley. There is a lot of darkness in this story, but also a lot of hope.

I think the author did an excellent job of portraying the everyday struggles of those with addictions or mental illness. It's not only the major hurdles that defeat you, it can be any number of details and smaller choices. This book is well written and I felt strongly for Charlie. ( )
  LynnB | May 22, 2021 |
I can never win with this body I live it. -- Belly, "Star"
Well I'll do anything in this godalmighty world / If you just let me follow you down -- Bob Dylan, "Baby Let Me Follow You Down"
I can't be myself / I can't be myself -- Elliott Smith, "Needle in the Hay"
this book / is for the grievers / this book / is for the left behind / this book / is for every broken heart searching for a home
Like a baby harp seal, I'm all white.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,599,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible