Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (1983)

by Dorothy Gilman

Series: Mrs. Pollifax (6)

7452023,135 (3.82)58
Hang on to your hats--the most senior and eccentric of American sleuths is off again. This time that "nice Mr. Cartstairs" wants Mrs. P. to go to China to help get another agent out.

Such a happy ending. And only one book after she meets Cyrus ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | Feb 18, 2021 |
1980s, historical-places-events, China, spies, history-and-culture, suspense*****

Two things to remember: this is a work of fiction, and it was first published in 1985. Now then. Mrs Pollifax, a widow who always appears to be an innocent tourist of a certain age, has occasionally done courier work for the CIA, but this is her first time in China. The tour is fascinating, the fellow tourists are interesting, and some people are very different than they seem. A VERY enjoyable read!
Voice actor Barbara Rosenblatt always does a wonderful job with all the voices and really acts out the story and not just read it. Her voice brings the characters to life with her inflections entirely suited the situations and characters. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Dec 22, 2020 |
Mrs. Pollifax is off to China in her sixth assignment for the CIA, operating as cover for another agent, unknown to her, that is also in her tour group, and whose mission is to rescue a dissident engineer from a labor camp and smuggle him out of the country. As our gradmotherly heroine gets to know her fellow travelers, she remains watchful, curious as to who this other agent might be. Little does she imagine however, that more than one of the group is hiding a dangerous secret...

I greatly enjoyed Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station when I first read it years ago, as an adolescent, and I greatly enjoyed it upon this recent reread. I seem to be revisiting the entire series, perhaps as a comfort read during this unexpected worldwide crisis and quarantine. What better time to become an armchair traveler? And what better and more entertaining way to do it, than to follow along on Mrs. Pollifax's exciting, humorous and heartwarming trips to various countries, at the behest of Mr. Carstairs of the CIA? Here we have the usual coterie of interesting secondary characters - top marks here to Iris and Peter! - as well as the fascinating geographic locales. Since I was a young girl, I've wanted to visit the tomb of the First Emperor, so that aspect of the story is always quite interesting for me. I was struck, on this reread, by the fact that the trip is to Xinjiang, and features the Uygher people. Published in 1983, it describes a China that is far less developed than it is today, a China that had not yet begun persecuting its Uygher minority with the zeal that it does today. It's rather sad to think that, rather than progressing on issues of human rights and environmental protection, China has actually gotten quite worse in some respects. Leaving these rather melancholy musings aside, this is one I would wholeheartedly recommend to all readers who have enjoyed previous installments of the series. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 17, 2020 |
The CIA needs the help of Mrs. Pollifax to get a man out of Chinese work camp. She's sent on a tour group to the country, knowing that one of her fellow tourists is the agent who needs her help but unsure which is. Her job sends her to a Chinese barber shop near a tourist attraction to gather information on the work camp's precise location. The book's setting in the years following Mao's death prompting a re-opening to Western tourism probably appealed to those curious about China when the book appeared in print during that time. While I think there are too many coincidences regarding the composition of the tour group, it still provides an intriguing plot which should appeal to most cozy readers. The espionage element is probably a bit tame for those who prefer thrillers. ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 16, 2020 |
2019 reread via Recorded Books audiobook narrated by Barbara Rosenblat ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 20, 2019 |
Mrs. Pollifax sat in Carstairs' office with a cup of coffee in one hand and a sandwich in the other, her hat an inverted bowl of blue felt with such a cockeyed twist to its brim that Bishop guessed it had been frequently sat on and squashed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,416,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible