Avalon High (2006)

by Meg Cabot

Series: Avalon High (1)

2,200885,560 (3.76)38
Having moved to Annapolis, Maryland, with her medievalist parents, high school junior Ellie enrolls at Avalon High School where several students may or may not be reincarnations of King Arthur and his court.
    Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Old Magic by Marianne Curley (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books deal with history in different ways but with kind of a similar feel. I enjoyed them both!

This book: "Most people have a lot of misconceptions about the medieval period..."

Me: "Yes!"

This book: "...everyone thinks it was all ladies and chivalrous knights but actually everyone had B.O. and died at like 20."

Me: "NOOOOO!"

....

Even if I put my personal feelings about historical accuracy aside this book isn't great. I liked it a lot when I read it in High school but now I'm pretty meh on it. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
This was a great book. I like how they were descendants in a way of an older prophecy and once I started this book I couldn't stop till the end. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
CATEGORY: Meg Cabot

Ellie has just moved to a new school that appears to be normal. Avalon High is full of interesting yet stereotypical high school students: Lance, Jennifer, Will, and Marco. However, Ellie soon figures out something strange: this is not your normal high school. Those kids aren't just kids, they're Lancelot, Guinevere, and King Arthur. So who is Ellie?

I thought that this was a really promising plot that turned out to be just another fluffy teen book. By taking amazing characters and their lauding backstories, Cabot could have done so much with them that she didn't do. However, I think that setting teenage readers up with a Arthurian background is important, but I feel that she could have so much more than just a weak battle in the park and a twist by making Ellie the lady of the lake.
  haileyblatter | Nov 17, 2018 |
Meg Cabot is a really versatile writer. I think that is maybe what attracts so many different readers to her. While venturing into different genres, she is able to keep a certain voice that makes it enjoyable to a reader who maybe doesn't like that specific genre. I had first heard of Avalon High back when the Disney Channel adaption started playing previews. Curious, I looked it up and realized it was this book. I read the book prior to watching the movie and I actually like it a lot more. I still liked the movie but the book was a lot funner for me to read. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure that anyone else who decides to pick it up will to! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
A teen rip off of the Arthurian legends, with a slight twist on the legend and usual teen angst. I had actually seen the movie adaptation of this first, but can't say I like either version any better. The characters are fairly shallow and don't get much backstory. Mildly interesting for those who enjoy reading re-interpretations of the Arthurian legends, but otherwise I'd skip it. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Is a retelling of

To the two Barbara Cabots, Bad Mommy and Aunt Babs
You are so lucky.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,147,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible