Fear Itself (2003)

by Walter Mosley

Series: Fearless Jones (2)

Fiction. African American Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Written with the voice and vision that have made Mosley one of the most entertaining writers in America, "Fear Itself" marks the return of a master at the top of his form. Unabridged 6 CDs.

I enjoyed Fear Itself by Walter Moseley and spending more time with Paris and Fearless and their friends and enemies. I felt a little lost as the con game revealed itself but I was discovering it along with our heroes. Moseley’s carefully crafted world plays a role as well as the deep understanding of the worth of a Black man in that world. But Paris and Fearless have carved out a place for themselves and can even use the police to their own advantage now and then. Looking forward to the third book in the series.
  witchyrichy | Feb 27, 2024 |
Fearless Jones is at it again, getting his friend Paris Minton in trouble. Since we last saw Minton he was trying to rebuild his life after his bookstore was burned to the ground and he was beaten and shot at in Fearless Jones. Now, in Fear Itself Minton has been able to rebuild his bookstore and get back to a quiet life, thanks to a settlement from the last book. He still doesn't want trouble, but yet Fearless soon finds a way to get Paris in the thick of it. This time, the wealthiest woman in Los Angeles is missing her nephew. She tricks Fearless into looking for him and Fearless pulls Minton into the mystery. You will meet a whole host of strange characters in Fear Itself. There are so many plot twists I almost needed a flow chart to keep everything straight. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 4, 2023 |
Fearles Jones leads Paris into convoluted case of murder and theft
  ritaer | Jul 9, 2021 |
Wow! I was sucked right into this dated tale of everyday odd-balls and super schemers. Best of all, for me anyway, was that the nerd was heroic and there were loads of plot-twists. I like to read tales of, justice being meated-out, clear-cut answers to my who-done-its and happy endings. ( )
  Madamxtra | Aug 21, 2019 |
This is the second of Mosley's Fearless Jones books. Actually, the main character, or narrator at least, is a guy named Paris Minton, whose only interest in life is reading books. He has a small second-hand book store in which he sits reading all day. Well, he would sit reading all day, except occasionally his friend, Fearless, shows up and embroils him in some kind of improbably adventures. It's a fun read, mostly. The commentary on the race issues the characters had to live with in the 1950s are rather saddening. Even more saddening is that things have changed so little. Young black men still can't trust the cops or other authorities. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |

Mosley, Walterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cheadle, DonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Fiction. African American Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Mild-mannered Paris Minton is delivered a pile of trouble when Fearless Jones shows up with a simple request: help find a beautiful woman’s husband. Lending a hand gets him hit upside the head, hogtied, kidnapped, and threatened with a gun the size of a cannon. Now he’s wondering whom he should fear more: the people he’s looking for or the people he’s working for. Tangled up with cops, rival millionaires, several corpses, and one of L.A.’s wealthiest women, Paris Minton is in a corner—and not even his invincible friend Fearless can save him.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,380,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible