dismiss

Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection (2016)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: First of the Sun ("Sixth of the Dusk"), Threnody ("Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell"), Sel ("The Emperor's Soul"), Mistborn ("Mistborn: Secret History"), Cosmere (Collection)

5521930,456 (4.31)19
"An all-new 40,000-word Stormlight Archive novella, "Edgedancer," will be the crown jewel of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, the first book of short fiction by #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson. The collection will include nine works in all. The first eight are: "The Hope of Elantris" (Elantris) "The Eleventh Metal" (Mistborn) "The Emperor's Soul" (Elantris) "Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, Episodes 28 through 30" (Mistborn) "White Sand" (excerpt; Taldain) "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell" (Threnody) "Sixth of Dusk" (First of the Sun) "Mistborn: Secret History" (Mistborn) These wonderful works, originally published on Tor.com and elsewhere individually, convey the expanse of the Cosmere and tell exciting tales of adventure Sanderson fans have come to expect, including the Hugo Award-winning novella, "The Emperor's Soul" and an excerpt from the graphic novel "White Sand." Arcanum Unbounded will also contain the Stormlight Archive novella "Edgedancer," which will appear in this book for the first time anywhere. Finally, this collection includes essays and illustrations for the various planetary systems in which the stories are set"--… (more)

Sheesh!

Sometimes I make bad decisions... like putting off a so-called short story collection by Sanderson for YEARS after it was published because I'm more of a fan of his big novels rather than in-between stuff.

What I should have remembered is Sanderson's penchant for writing... and writing... and writing. His short stuff is usually nothing like short stuff. There are two short NOVELS in this "collection". Good ones, too. Like the secret history of Mistborn that ties up all the events of the first trilogy from the Cognitive Realm. :) SO Good.

Or, even better, a short novel based in the Stormlight Archive world. With a certain always-hungry 10-year-old Knight Radiant proving to be just as impulsive and LUCKY as elsewhere. I'm LOVING the big plot additions and twists showing up here in the grand scheme of Sanderson's Epic. :) It's actually kinda necessary to read this. It ain't no fluff piece. Serious changes happen here.

So am I glad to read it?

Amazingly so. :)

Oh, yeah, and there's a few others that are fantastic in here, but they're re-reads for me. Like Sixth of the Dusk and Emperor's Soul. But for Emperor's Soul, I really didn't mind re-reading. That one is really good. It was when it came out and it's the same now. REALLY GOOD. :)

As for the rest, they're all quite interesting and span 6 worlds of Sanderson's Cosmere. I particularly liked the one with Sand. :) It has all of Sanderson's goodness with rule-based magic. :)

Worth it? It's not really something you can miss.

HOWERVER, if you're just wanting to read [b:Secret History|28698036|Secret History (Mistborn, #3.5)|Brandon Sanderson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453756231s/28698036.jpg|48896020], know that the entire thing is duplicated in this. Arcanum Unbounded is a completionist's dream. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Pretty damn good, like all Stormlight books. I'm not yet totally sold on Lift's character, but she get's a little better. The cameo from Szeth and Nightblood is cool, as is Darkness' revelation.

Merged review:

Simple and cute. Probably the funniest thing by Sanderson. Not bad. ( )
  sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |
Great collection of short stories by Brandon Sanderson. However, most of these short stories are companion pieces to larger works. While they could be read individually, they contain spoilers for main books. My favorite stories in this collection:
The Emperor's Soul (I'm always a sucker for a good heist story)
Allomancer Jak (because the footnotes are the best part)
Sixth of Dust (wasn't expecting to be sucked into this one but was quite interesting)
Edgedancer (I'm a fan of the Stormlight Archive. This story will be sold individually at the end of the year)

nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
I already knew most of the stories from this book, but the new Stormlight Novella alone was worth the price of admission. The Audiobook was read very well, as usual. All in all, very satisfied. Read this, especially if you have not yet the other short stories in the book. But keep in mind: Knowledge about the other sanderson books is definitely required. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nathan Hatfield
Who helped the Cosmere come to be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,917,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible