Murder, She Meowed (1996)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Author)

The annual steeplechase races at Montpelier, once the home of James and Dolley Madison, are the high point in the social calendar of the horse-mad Virginians of cozy Crozet. The race meet offers a cracking good time with old friends and a chance to get even--on the racecourse--with old enemies. Postmistress Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen will be in the thick of the action on this day of high spirits and fierce competition. But the glorious thoroughbreds and the pinks and greens and purples worn by the riders do not blind Harry to the dangerous undercurrents that start to surface. There's sure to be some emotional fireworks at Montpelier. Still, no one expects the day to end in tragedy. Found dead in the main barn is one of the day's riders, a knife plunged through the jockey's heart. The only clue is a playing card, the Queen of Clubs, impaled over the fatal wound. Within the wealthy, tight-knit world of horse owners, trainers, and jockeys, the victim had both admirers and enemies. Was the murderer's motive greed, drugs--a pervasive evil in the race world--or sexual rivalry? Luckily for Crozet's humans, the tiger cat Mrs. Murphy is right at home in the stable yard ... and on the trail of the shocking truth. But will Harry catch on in time to stop a killer grown bloodthirsty with success?… (more)

One of my favorite mystery writers. What can I say, I'm a cat person. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
I picked this book up at the thrift store mainly because it was cheap, in good condition, and was co-authorer by a cat. I wanted something to read on a hot summer day and this looked light. It turned out to be an interesting mystery. I was amused by the comments made by the animals throughout the book. But then I am partial to cats and dogs. The book even inspired me to go to You Tube and watch some funny videos people have made with their Corgis (the dog in the book is a Corgi). Okay, so now I have read a book with a Corgi hero and watched Corgis sing on You Tube---

I might read more in the series or other books by the author. I have a request through inter-library loan for the author's book which purports to be a "different kind of writer's manual. That might be interesting too. Maybe I can get my dogs to co-author a book with me and I can give up my day job!

The book is nicely illustrated with pictures of the cats, dogs, and horses by Wendy Wray. I would love to see more adult books illustrated like this. This world needs more art! ( )
1 vote Alice_Wonder | Jul 29, 2008 |
This was a fun book. I thought that the fact that the cats, dogs, etc., spoke would put me off, but most of it was fun. As for the mystery, I had a pretty good idea of the villain from the beginning, but the story did make me doubt myself several times.
This takes place in the steeplechasing world, which might as well be on Mars to me. The author does a nice job of writing in such a way that it is understandable for those not versed in horses. Intrigue, love, drugs, gambling or hate, which one of those is the motive for this crime? We are left to determine that for ourselves as jockeys fall to the dagger left and right. The animals are in on the hunt as well which makes for an entertaining story.
This is not the sort of book I keep, but I would happily read another by this author. I did have to wonder if the author owned stock in L.L. Bean or if they underwrote her for this story. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 30, 2007 |
The hills of Virginia are home to the most elegant steeplechases. But after a competitive run, a jockey is found stabbed to death. The knife in his chest impales a queen of clubs, and when a second jockey is murdered, he is decorated with the queen of spades. Now it's up to racing judge Mary ("Harry") Haristeen and her sleuthing cat, Mrs. Murphy, to hunt down the culprit before the queen of diamonds appears.
  kattykathy | Sep 1, 2007 |
Not great
  whyteb |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to
Pooh Bear and Coye
who love and guard Mrs William O Moss
The entrance to Montpelier, once the home of James and Dolley Madison, is marked by two ivy-covered pillars.

Everyone is at the steeplechase races, but before the day is out, a jockey is dead. Can the postmistress' tiger cat, Mrs. Murphy, dig up the truth in time to stop the bloodthirsty killer?
-----------------------------------------------

The annual steeplechase races are the high point in the social calender of the horse-mad Virginians of cozy Crozer. But when one of the jockeys is found murdered in the main barn, Mary Minor "Harry" Harristeen finds herself in a desperate race of her own - to trap the killer. Luckily for her, she had an experienced ally; her sage tiger cat, Mrs Murphy, utilizing her feline genius to plumb the depths of human depravity, Mrs. Murphy finds herself on a trail that leads to the shocking truth behind the murder.
But will her human companion catch on in time to ear the killer to the gruesome finish line?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,147,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible