At Close Range

by Laura Griffin

Series: Tracers (11)

Police detective Daniele Harper turns to the Delphi Center crime lab for help in investigating a high-profile double murder, but regrets it when her attraction to their chief firearms examiner threatens her focus on the case.

When a young couple is found murdered, by the lake, Daniele Harper is brought in as the head police detective to discover what really happened. She is determined to find the answers to a double homicide, that doesn't quite make sense. There are clues in random places and when her brothers best friend, the Chief firearms examiner is implicated in it, Daniele has just realized how much harder it is going to be. Because she has emotional ties to Scott Black. She knows that any interest in him is forbidden and not just professionally. He could easily break her heart if she lets him. Scott Black is a ex Navy SEAL, and now works as a Firearms Examiner, and he is being framed for a double murder he had no involvement in and must find a way to clear his name or all he has worked for will go down the drain including finding the real murderer. But as Daniele and Scott get closer to finding the real murderer, their lives are in danger and are in the hunt of their lives.
The Hero
Scott Black is a Ex Navy SEAL, and is still adjusting to civilian life. He was never ready to leave his team or the crazy and intense life he became accustomed to. And this new life that he has to get used to which is not easy. Scott has always found himself attraction to Dani, but she is forbidden because she is the sister to his best friend. He respects those boundaries, and keeps his distance from her even though there is a part of him that doesn't want to.
Her courage humbled him. It was a different kind from what he had. He had courage in combat, yeah, but emotional courage always had been in short supply.
Scott is quite the sexy alpha ex SEAL that you would want in a story like this. I love how he just goes and does what needs to be done, and the consequences can go out the window. It fits with him being ex military and as a SEAL he knows how to get things done.
The Heroine
Daniele Harper, is shocked when she learns that she will be the head detective on this case and there are quite a few eyes on this double homicide. At first she is uneasy, because she isn't sure she is ready, but she fits into her role quite nicely and adjusts pretty quickly. I love how quickly she adapts to the situations she is dealt with. Dani has probably been in love with Scott for quite some time, but hasn't fully realized it. She knows he is not for her, she knows that he only has one night stands and it wouldn't do her any good to get involved with him. I loved her strong and take control personality. But you see how torn she is emotionally and that really draws you in.
Plot and Story Line
At Close Range is the first book that I have read from this author and I am so glad that I took a chance on this book. This book is pretty wonderful, I haven't read a suspense in a little while and was really craving a book like this. Now this book isn't going to be for everyone especially if you are looking for a strong romantic elements. There is a romance and a happy ending, but its not the main aspect of the story. The mystery and the suspense filled plot is what takes control in this book but I really liked that. I think there was a part of me that wished there was a bit more focus on the romance. There is so much that goes on in this book and it was a intense filled ride. I loved the way this author wrote this book because the surprises never stopped coming and I never knew which way was up, or who the real villain was until the end. It does get pretty action packed and I felt like I was on a roller coaster at times. The author really works the reader so well in this book. I think the real downside to this book was the ending, it had a more happy for now feel than that they would really end up together. I would have liked to have felt more satisfied about Dani and Scott as a couple. But other than that, this story was fantastic and can't wait to read more from this author.
The Cover
I like white covers on books, and I like the window effect of the forest there....quite leads to a mysterious effect.
Overall View
At Close Range is a action filled story that is intense, wraps around your senses and is fast moving and mysterious enough to keep you on the edge of your seat....watch out for this one folks!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 24, 2019 |
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Tracers series. At Close Range is another great addition to the series. There is a really well written mystery with lots of red herrings. The murder mystery is hands down the most intriguing and satisfying aspect to the story.

Dani is a detective who has just been made the lead on a very high profile double murder case. Scott is a ballistics specialist at the nearby Delphi center. Scott is called in to work on the murder case and examine the ballistics. Through several twists, Scott ends up as a suspect. Dani has known Scott for most of her life. He is her brother's best friend. She knows he didn't commit the murders, but she has to find the proof. Scott isn't about to sit back and let the investigation progress with him. Obviously, its a conflict of interest to have him involved since he is the prime suspect. The case takes Dani to a different state and more murders occur, all while she fights her attraction to Scott.

My discontent with the story was the romance. I really didn't find the romance between Dani and Scott credible or authentic. It felt sort of rushed and haphazard. By the end, I wasn't sure I believed they would stay together. I think that the murder mystery and all the danger took the focus of the story (and I loved it), but it did so at the expense of building up the romance. ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
This was strong until the end, when the plot just went crazy - who could have seen that coming? Scott was a bit too unknowable for me, but otherwise I thought the romance was well done. ( )
  pgchuis | Aug 10, 2017 |
This is the latest book in this series. Which just happens to be one of my favorite current series. As a mystery and romantic mystery fan, you will enjoy this series as well. The best part is that the books can be read as stand alone novels. Yes, some of the relationships and past events may carry over to the nest book but nothing that would cause a new reader to have issues following along.

I honestly could not figure out the motive for the killings. This is a good problem to have as a fan of mystery stories. The author did a nice job of keeping me guessing until all of the pieces were revealed at the end. Speaking of the end. This is where most of the action took place. In the last several chapters. Prior to that, I do admit I wished that the story had been amped up a few dials. Yet, I was busy with Dani and Scott's relationship. Or I should say, their desire to have a relationship. I could feel the chemistry between these two and it was smothering. Strap in for a great read! ( )
  Cherylk | Jan 19, 2017 |
At Close Range by Laura Griffin is a 2017 Pocket Books publication.

Oh, yeah! The Tracers, baby!!

While I have enjoyed all of the books in the series that I’ve read so far, this is one of the best of Griffin's recent releases.

Dani gets her shot at being the lead detective in a double homicide, and she is experiencing a case of the nerves. But, things get even stranger when her brother’s best friend, Scott, becomes the prime suspect.

Scott is a former SEAL is adjusting to civilian life and is fighting off a long time attraction to Dani, the sister of his best friend. But, when the ballistics expert is implicated in a double murder, he and Dani are thrown together in a high octane situation and the sparks between fly higher than ever before.

But, it soon becomes apparent that Dani is a target and Scott intends to do everything he can to clear his name and keep Dani safe.

Whew! Scott and Dani have a sizzling hot chemistry between them and I loved that they were friends for a long time before the relationship changed. The romance is super hot and Scott is an almost perfect alpha personality.

But, the murder investigation, which takes up the most real estate in the novel, and rightly so, is very, very interesting and the action is incredibly tense and suspenseful.

This book gets back to the sort of storyline that first attracted me to his series. Griffin rarely disappoints, but this time she’s taken things up a notch. If you enjoy this series, I think you’re going to love this new chapter. If you are new to the series, you shouldn’t have a problem reading this one as a stand alone. So, if you like action packed romantic suspense, I don’t think you could ask for more!!

4.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jan 16, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Tracers (11)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,923,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible