The Pinballs (1977)

by Betsy Byars

Three lonely foster children learn to care about themselves and each other.

I do not full remember this book but I do remember it had a profound impact on me. I read it is a child/pre-teen/young teen (don’t remember exactly but before high school) and it was one of three books from that time that I decided to keep forever. I was a prolific reader at the time but passed on most books, yet this one remains in my collection in tatters. It was understandable and relatable despite being so far removed from “the average” experience. It started my life-long desire to adopt or even foster, despite that I have never managed to fulfil it. ( )
  OptimisticCautiously | Sep 16, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
1980 issue ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Even though this was written with children in mind, I found myself getting emotional reading this story about three children in foster care. One child had been raised by elderly twins and doesn't even know his real birth date or age. The second child had both of his legs broken when his dad in a drunken rage "accidentally" ran over them. The third child, the one with the most personality, was abandoned by her parents and comes across as very jaded about the whole system. She is the one who came up with the nickname "pinballs" because they were bounced around the system exactly like pinballs, with no control over their destinies. It takes some time and some hard lessons learned before each child realizes they are not pinballs. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Nov 26, 2018 |
Kids in foster care. Nice, happy ending. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 23, 2016 |

Betsy Byarsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benson, LindaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, RitaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slagt, MachteldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for David Atchley
One summer two boys and a girl went to a foster home to live together. Their names were Carlie, Harvey, and Thomas J.

Three lonely foster children learn to care about themselves and each other.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,691,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible