The Trapped Girl by Robert Dugoni

The Trapped Girl

by Robert Dugoni

I love the Tracy Crosswhite series, and this latest installation was no exception! Great pace, good mystery. ( )
  MissWordNerd | Jul 14, 2018 |
A high schooler dragging in one of his crab pots accidentally snags another one. This one contains a woman’s body. Detective Tracy Crosswhite and her team are called in to identify the body and investigate the murder. Thus begins the exciting roller coaster ride to the finale. Interspersed with the present day story are flashbacks that the victim tells. Through her letters to a friend, the reader learns about her life and its tragedies. Author Robert Dugoni drops clues but gives nothing obvious away in the exciting quest to the Find the killer. Though part of a series, this book can stand on its own, but after you read one, you will want to read the rest. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 8, 2018 |
When a young woman's body is discovered inside a crab pot pulled from the Puget Sound, Detective Tracy Crosswhite is called to the scene. During the search to discover who this young woman is it becomes apparent that things aren't as they seem. Was the woman running from someone and they caught up to her, or is the woman in the crab pot really who detectives think she is?

I really enjoyed this novel! I love the series and also love the author!

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  NikkiK94 | Mar 21, 2018 |
A woman’s body is found in a crab pot submerged in Puget Sound and Seattle Detective Tracy Crosswhite and her team catch the case. Before the murder is solved the team will need to solve two missing person mysteries, a second murder, and fight off an effort by the Tacoma PD to take over the case. To make it more difficult, Tracy’s boss would more than happy to transfer the case to Tacoma. And while all of this is going on developments occur in Tracy’s personal life.

This is the fourth book by Dugoni featuring Seattle Detective Tracy Crosswhite. I had not read any of the earlier books but my lack of familiarity with the characters and setting did not interfere with my ability to understand and enjoy The Trapped Girl.

This is a solid offering that I docked half a star for two reasons. First, the insensitive, hostile boss is a common cliché that seems to be especially prevalent in murder mysteries. In this instance, it is only slightly intrusive as it doesn’t interfere with the pacing of the story. This strategy for introducing conflict and tension has become so commonplace it seems like it is a sign of lazy author.

It is the use of frequent flashback during the first half of the book that mars the pacing of the story. Once the main storyline has been established and the primary characters have been introduced the use of flashbacks is intrusive. That is especially true in The Trapped Girl because Dugoni uses the flashbacks to introduce new characters not present in the main story. The flashbacks tell how the victim of the first murder met her husband and how she came to be the victim.

As a reader, I am quite content to let the dead person be dead. The pace of the story could have been tightened and the book shortened if the author had let the detectives provide those detail as they make discoveries while working the case. Every time I came to a flashback I was tempted to put the book down. The flashbacks do create sympathy for the victim, but the content was rather boring.

The book ends with a surprising twist that is a bit of a cheat. The author failed to provide enough clues that the reader has a fair chance to solve the murder. In fact, Detective Crosswhite doesn’t identify the murdered until new information turns up a few pages from the end. I won’t go into that in greater detail for fear of spoiling the ending for readers.

Despite these flaws, I enjoyed The Trapped Girl. I am not inclined to go back and read the three earlier books in this series but will be on the lookout for future offerings. ( )
  Tatoosh | Mar 15, 2018 |
THE TRAPPED GIRL is the fourth book in Tracy Crosswhite series and in this book she has to find out the identity of a girl found dead in a crab pot, and also find the person who has put the girl there. It's not an easy case and when the evidence points to this being a woman that disappeared a couple of months ago is Tracy reminded of her own sister's disappearance and murder.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

"When a woman's body is discovered submerged in a crab pot in the chilly waters of Puget Sound, Detective Tracy Crosswhite finds herself with a tough case to untangle. Before they can identify the killer, Tracy and her colleagues on the Seattle PD's Violent Crimes Section must figure out who the victim is. Her autopsy, however, reveals she may have gone to great lengths to conceal her identity. So who was she running from? After evidence surfaces that their Jane Doe may be a woman who suspiciously disappeared months earlier, Tracy is once again haunted by the memory of her sister's unsolved murder. Dredging up details from the woman's past leads to conflicting clues that only seem to muddy the investigation. As Tracy begins to uncover a twisted tale of brutal betrayal and desperate greed, she'll find herself risking everything to confront a killer who won't go down without a deadly fight."--Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible